Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merc Quincy "B" Loop

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Merc Quincy "B" Loop

Just finished restoring a "B" Looper serial # FB148 that could very well have originally been one of my 2 "B" Loops. It came from Long Island by way of used parts from Dick O'Dea wiith some signs of things that my father & I did. There were 4 set screws around each cylinder sleeves that my father instaleed as we were experiencing sleeve turning in 19666-1967. Also, as you can see in the pictures I had a machined stator that used 4 cylinder merc points. To keep the stator in placed I drilled & tapped in to the top of the C.C. boss & have slots in the stator where I used allen head set screws to retain the stator in place. This C.C. had this combination. I'm finishing an "A" with thunderbolt ignition. Will post pictures when completed.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default nice job john

john,

nice job on the b. it's cool it may have been your engine back in the day.dave augustine found his dads a looper and is restoring it. good job!

frank

Post Thanks / Like

Looks really good John did you ever get your 20H together.
    Your Never To Old To Win

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

John,

What a superb restoration! Pebble Beach, eat your heart out!

I thought you'd like to know the original owner of your latest toy, verified by the Quincy Welding serial number record book, was indeed Dick O'Dea.

If you go back through the Quincy Looper collections thread, you'll find that I posted your championship B Looper (FB-201) dyno card.

By the way, what process did you use to get the crankcase, cylinder block & elbow castings to look so much like NOS Quincy castings?? Please, give us detail!

thanks,

Paul A Christner

PS: I'm sure my dad would feel honored to see all of you Looper fans restoring these beautiful old race engines to the level that you are restoring them. Bravo!

Post Thanks / Like

Great job John. It's beatiful!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Did It Right

John, You Did It Right. Now All You Need Is A J 4 Hydro.

Post Thanks / Like

From an former Chicago guy who would have said very cool, i'll give you an adult "Bitch'in" and a MsKTDoodle, "Sick!!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Question carters

Nice job John ! The alky Carter carbs, with the overflow mod to the float bowl for alky. Was there any concensus on how high to set the fuel level? I have three here, all at different heights. One 10mm below the top edge, one 2mm below, the 3rd 1mm above. Where are yours set?

Allen J. Lang

Thumbs up Looper Restoration

Hi John-You did a great job restoring as usual. Are you back to collecting race engines again?

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Restorations

Quote Originally Posted by Allen J. Lang View Post
    Hi John-You did a great job restoring as usual. Are you back to collecting race engines again?
    Yes, I am Al. I have a standard 20H, a 20H popper, A Martin 60 Hi Speed, a Champion Hot Rod 6MMHR, A Champion Hot Rod 6NHR, A 20h with Jones/O'Dea Red Head block, the "B" Looper & an "A" Looper.

Brian, not sure of the dump tube height, or what it should be. To be perfectly honest, not even sure how critical it would be.

Paul, the parts were bead blasted but with a very fine media that a local high performance engine shop uses for their motor work. Yes, it turns out just like your original castings.

George, as I responded to Al, it is finished and won some awards this summer.

Thread Information