Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Shipp Photos - 10/07 Meet

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Shipp Photos - 10/07 Meet

The Antique Outboard Motor Club held a meet this past weekend at Lake Shipp, near Winterhaven, FL.

It rained most of the day on Friday until later afternoon. The day was not a complete wash out. As soon as the skies cleared up, many of the guys headed out on Lake Shipp to run their beautiful old boats & motors.

Of course, the 1st thing I noticed was the sweetest (boat included), restored Mark 58 with Quincy Pipes outfit. It belongs to a dentist, Dr. David Liebetreu, of Destin, FL. This is one of the finest restored & highly detailed Mark 58 race engines I've ever seen. Doctor David wanted me to make mention that the great Lon Stevens, who's in his 90's, did the complete engine rebuild and restoration. Talk about a dedicated enthusiast! The screaming sound that those Quincy pipes made when he cranked up the motor brought back quite a few memories. I have more pictures of this engine taken after the sun came out which I will post later.

There was quite a selection of various types of antique boats & motors there, especially as this was not even a national meet. I'm not an expert on classic wooden boats, so anyone that wants to correctly name them, please feel free to step up to our site and please name them.

I had a great time looking up old friends, such as Bob Dunlap & R C Hawie, and making new ones.

There are lots more pictures to come, so stay tuned. What a great event!

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Please note: These pictures are for your enjoyment & are not to be copied or posted to any other web sites without my written permission.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Round 2 - Lake Shipp

Round 2 - Lake Shipp photos

As it had just stopped raining, some of the antique motors were covered with plastic or still in their trailers, but many were out for display. As I said previously, the variety and quality of the motors was unbelievable -- the Mercs, Johnsons, Evinrudes & others. The old race boats were fantastic too.

More photos to come.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Please note: These pictures are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to any other web site without my written permission.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Round 3 - Lake Shipp

Round 3 - Lake Shipp photos

Bob & Geri Parkinson had a quality display (YaketyYak is the name of his boats) with 2 boat/motor set ups & other motors on display. Bob said he has a Sid Craft that he left at home. His business card has a picture of it on the front -- nice boat Bob, too bad you didn't bring that one too!

More photos to come.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Please note: These pictures are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to any other web site without my written permission.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Round 4 - Lake Shipp

Round 4 - Lake Shipp photos

As I said previously, there was quite a variety of motors.

More photos to come.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Round 5 - Lake Shipp

Part of the fun of going to a meet like this is watching the old boats run out on the lake. As I said previously, I am not familiar with all of the types of old boats so if you can ID them, please feel free to give your input.

More photos to come.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Round 6 - Lake Shipp

These guys looked like they were having a lot of fun out there on the water. As I said previously, I am not familiar with all of the types of old boats so if you can ID them, please feel free to give your input.

More photos to come.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boats at Lk Shipp

Nice pictures Paul. Like Paul said we had a great time at Lk Shipp. Here's some info about some of the boats in the pictures.
    E 58 (blue and yellow) is a DeSilva 2 man F runabout built in (I think 1986) for Wes Jones, when they tried unsuccessfully to revive the class for antiques. Al Scopinich bought it from Wes and ran it with a P 500 pumper motor. The person who owns it now has it powered with a 3 cyl Chrysler and it runs good.
    The red and natural hydro is a Krier hydro with the 55H with stacks, motor was recently built by Lon Stephens who now lives in FL.
    The natural strip boat powered by the Scott-atwater is a very old Peterborough.
    Next is a Speedliner powered with a black 30H.
    51 F is a homemade runabout.
    B 68 is a original Sidcraft A-B runabout.
    Al and his 20 ft Raveau, he won the Wine Country Marathon up in NY this past Summer with this rig, I rode with him Sat and saw 80mph.
    24F red is a Giles 20ss hydro now with a 55H.
    24 F runabout with the white flames is a Bennett boat. Dave won the Nationals twice in ASR with this boat, of course he was using a 15 OMC not this 20 H the current owner has on it.
    The aluminum boat is a Feather Craft Firefly with a KG7Q, it's a very rare boat.
    Here's a look in Freeze Dry's trailer.
    Yellow and black runabout 57 Z is a 1953 Swift Runabout.
    White Penn Yan with a Mk 30 on it.

Allen J. Lang

Thumbs up Lake Shipp Pictures

Paul- Thanks for all the pictures you have posted. Many of the racing shots brings back memories. Being an AOMC member, I also enjoy shots of the old iron, especially running.
    Keep them coming.
    Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al

Post Thanks / Like

It is interesting to note that the picture of the OldAlumBoat may be a Aroliner Racer built in Winnipeg Manitoba this is a quote from a site:

"In the late 1940's George Giguere was involved with the local racing club and coming out this relationship was a few small racing boats that George and a few of his close friends and racing partners built at Aroline's Factory. The design, I am told, appears to come from a "Snyder" design,or possibly a "De Silva". There were only 4 of these boats that are known to have been built in aluminum at Aroline. The owners of these boats were George Giguere, Fenton Malley whose boat is pictured below, Gordon Fanstone, and Bud Duffy. They appear to have all been lost except for Fenton Malley's boat which his son Terry was kind enough to let me photograph. If you read this and know where another one of these is please contact me so I can catalog it for the Aroline history page coming soon. I'm hoping to get more pictures of these racers in their glory days. Winnipeg was a hotbed of Outboard Racing activity particularily from 1950-1955, and I'm told that these 4 boats were the ones to beat. They all ran a Mercury KG-9 with a "Quickie".

Site is: http://www.arolinerfanclub.com/twracer.htm

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Question

Just how do you know where/when these kind of events are held? I've never been to one, would love to go to one.

Thread Information