Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP 200 Rude XP Blowing CDI power packs

Post Thanks / Like

I am not familiar with the motor you have but most of the newer motors have safety built in for the oil and temp. alarms I think. if your only losing one cylinder seems like it could be a pinched wire or short giving you problems. check and clean all grounds again,a years worth of use you could have corrosion again, Electrical problems are some time the most diffcult to find, don't give up, take it one component at a time and check it out best you can. A shop manual is invaluable in these situations.I don't think your kill switch will be your problem.

Post Thanks / Like

OmC's don't have the full tilt mercury switches, only Merc does

Post Thanks / Like

OK, thats good to know,,,,rule that out then ,, all else fails check the muffler bearing

Post Thanks / Like

...or send everything to the junk pile and start over!

Ha ha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bajarick View Post
    ...or send everything to the junk pile and start over!

Ha ha.
    or buy a Merc!!!

seriously though, seems OMC powerpacks always end up failing...........more than any others..........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default beep beep beep..........

Quote Originally Posted by bajarick View Post
    DKL,

That is an interesting proposal.

Im not sure if my year / model (1989 chassis - 1993 powerhead) has the mercury switch???

That is one thing about all of this is that I NEVER had the entire power pack die! Its was always two or three cylinders firing.

I have a kill switch with the plastic lanyard on it. Id have to look inside the control box to try and see the actual switch.

In fact, during this episode of failure, I remember hearing an alarm sound when I started having problems this time. I just cant remember if it was a solid beep or beep beep beep. Ive been told low oil makes the beep beep beep while beeeeeeeeeeep is the overheating signal. Didnt know that at the time.

Regardless, the beeping stopped. I wasnt sure why it beeped but it made me check the oil reservoir and it was low but far from empty - the tank was at least 1/8 full (the oil in the reservoir was about an 1-1/2 inches deep - low but not empty). I have not filled it up either. I will make sure its full and see what happens.

Ill check the kill switch after that!

Thanks for your input.

Rick

Rick, if I were you, I would remove that VRO (oil injection) setup and use pre-mix fuel and never worry about that "beep beep beep" action. Does you VRO pump have a purple wire in the harness? The pre-purple wire VRO pumps (in my experience) would always send that "beep beep beep" signal for no reason. They would also "over oil".........can't say I have seen one fail for "lack of oil" though, like the Merc oil-injection did unfortunately (damn plastic oil injection gear on crankshaft)...........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default brp.com

http://www.intercoastalmarinemd.com/
    looks like a good dealer in your area .I started as a one man shop myself years ago .honest mechanics people always do good if they work hard at what they do well.
    I would have a shop check it if your not able to.

Post Thanks / Like

Whaledog,

Thanks for the info. Ill give them a call.

I also agree that when you love to do something - just do it. If you do it well the customers will always come back.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy View Post
    or buy a Merc!!!

seriously though, seems OMC powerpacks always end up failing...........more than any others..........
    Mercguy,

I have never had a problem with power packs until I bought this motor (the 200 Rude XP). It was used, but always ran very well as long as the power pack stayed alive.

Although Ive owned mostly OMC, I have alway had a fondness for the Mercs. I've owned a couple of Mercs (one 200 EFI, one 115 inline six, and currently a white 1962 50hp short shaft Merc).

The 115 was on a 14 ft tunnel hull / bobs nose cone / 28 inch chopper - boy was that fun.

Lookng for a small "D" sized runabout (cheap) to hang the 50 hp on.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Well Guess what the problem turned out to be!

First of all the power pack was fine.

I was thrown back when the mechanic told me I needed a new starter and a new VRO pump!!

The folks at Intercoastal Marine said the starter was not spinning the motor up fast enough to generate enough voltage for the powerpack to fire all six plugs. Go figure!!!!

The other part of the problem was the VRO pump had given up like the Redskins

Whopping repair bill as those are expensive parts to replace - but she runs fine now.

I hit 70 mph out in Baltimore Harbor last week.

Thanks for all the tips.

See ya on the water

Thread Information