Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP 200 Rude XP Blowing CDI power packs

Post Thanks / Like

Default HELP 200 Rude XP Blowing CDI power packs

Hello

I am having problems with the power pack on my 1993 Evinrude 200 XP. I have had the power pack replaced at least 4 times in as many years. It doesnt blow completely - I sometimes have spark on two or more cylinders. The last repair shop to fix the problem said the CDI was not grounded properly and added a good ground wire to the system a year and a half ago and it held up. However, just the other day seems like half of the power pack quit working.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Can anyone tell me why I keep eating up power packs?

Any information on this problem is appreciated.

Tomtall

Exclamation Help

Rick - Take it to the experts. Contact "Rapair" Ingitions at the below link. I have bought hundreds of ignitions components from them over the years. They have great tech support and also make quality product. Most of their ignition parts carry a 2 year warrenty. There are many things that can cause your CDI packs to keep failing. Give them a call and discuss the history of your failures. See what they say. Good luck!

http://www.rapair.com/Contact.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bajarick View Post
    Hello

I am having problems with the power pack on my 1993 Evinrude 200 XP. I have had the power pack replaced at least 4 times in as many years. It doesnt blow completely - I sometimes have spark on two or more cylinders. The last repair shop to fix the problem said the CDI was not grounded properly and added a good ground wire to the system a year and a half ago and it held up. However, just the other day seems like half of the power pack quit working.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Can anyone tell me why I keep eating up power packs?

Any information on this problem is appreciated.

have you checked the stator output? How many volts is your chraging system putting out??
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
    Rick - Take it to the experts. Contact "Rapair" Ingitions at the below link. I have bought hundreds of ignitions components from them over the years. They have great tech support and also make quality product. Most of their ignition parts carry a 2 year warrenty. There are many things that can cause your CDI packs to keep failing. Give them a call and discuss the history of your failures. See what they say. Good luck!

http://www.rapair.com/Contact.aspx
    Thanks Tomtall.

Ill call Rapair and see what they have to say.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy View Post
    have you checked the stator output? How many volts is your chraging system putting out??
    Mercguy,

The stator was replaced last time the CDI was replaced. It appeared to be putting out proper voltage - around 14.2. A couple of years back I had a magnet come off the flywheel. I blew two consecutive power packs during that episode - the mechanic was just changing out parts. Needless to say I have'nt been back to that repair shop since!

As previously stated, the last mechanic that worked on the ignition said there was a bad ground wire and he added this ground wire somewhere - but Im not sure where. At least that seemed to help the CDI Last longer than a year. My battery connections are all clean and tight.

Post Thanks / Like

Baja, reading your posts you're getting confused here. The battery side of your stator has nothing to do with the ignition side. Battery connections have nothing to do with it, once the motor starts you can disconnect it.

The stator output should be in the 150V range, thats on the brown wires at cranking. And yes a grounding problem could cause a pack to fail, but the standard ground if clean should be more than sufficient, and that means that the bolts holding the regulator down have the star washers on them, that could be checked with an ohm meter.

Did you check all your coils? See if they have a high primary resistance?

If you have good grounds, and good coils, with the correct stator output, you should be all good.

Now there were back in the 1993 age a bunch of packs that were made incorrectly, and that went on for a couple of years until they were redsigned inside, so don't include any of those. The SCR's would fail in those repeatedly.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gohr View Post
    Baja, reading your posts you're getting confused here. The battery side of your stator has nothing to do with the ignition side. Battery connections have nothing to do with it, once the motor starts you can disconnect it.

The stator output should be in the 150V range, thats on the brown wires at cranking. And yes a grounding problem could cause a pack to fail, but the standard ground if clean should be more than sufficient, and that means that the bolts holding the regulator down have the star washers on them, that could be checked with an ohm meter.

Did you check all your coils? See if they have a high primary resistance?

If you have good grounds, and good coils, with the correct stator output, you should be all good.

Now there were back in the 1993 age a bunch of packs that were made incorrectly, and that went on for a couple of years until they were redsigned inside, so don't include any of those. The SCR's would fail in those repeatedly.

Bill
    Thanks for joining in Bill.

Im pretty sure that the iginition side of the stator got screwed up when the magnets came loose on a previous episode of CDI failure. I will check the stator output at the brown wire.

I have not checked the coils, but I have never had a problem with them - even when the CDIs were blowing. I will check them for resistance though.

Not sure of the MFR of the power packs -dont have them in front of me right now - but the mechanic said they were aftermarket.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Aftermarket Packs

Thanks for joining in Bill.

Im pretty sure that the iginition side of the stator got screwed up when the magnets came loose on a previous episode of CDI failure. I will check the stator output at the brown wire.

I have not checked the coils, but I have never had a problem with them - even when the CDIs were blowing. I will check them for resistance though.

Not sure of the MFR of the power packs -dont have them in front of me right now - but the mechanic said they were aftermarket.
    Bill has covered most everything I could suggest. I might ad making sure Amphenol connector plugs and sockets are clean and seated correctly. Packs don't like intermitant connections.

Several dealers have told me Sierra is making a better product than OEM for less money. They are also pretty good with tech dealer assistance. NAPA also handles their product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Gwaltney View Post
    Bill has covered most everything I could suggest. I might ad making sure Amphenol connector plugs and sockets are clean and seated correctly. Packs don't like intermitant connections.

Several dealers have told me Sierra is making a better product than OEM for less money. They are also pretty good with tech dealer assistance. NAPA also handles their product.
    Hello Mike.

Who is Sierra? I cant say Ive heard of them. Do you have any contact info?

I know NAPA, but they dont sell outboard parts - do they?

I will make sure the Amphenol connector is good and clean.

Thanks,
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Mercguy,

The stator was replaced last time the CDI was replaced. It appeared to be putting out proper voltage - around 14.2. A couple of years back I had a magnet come off the flywheel. I blew two consecutive power packs during that episode - the mechanic was just changing out parts. Needless to say I have'nt been back to that repair shop since!

As previously stated, the last mechanic that worked on the ignition said there was a bad ground wire and he added this ground wire somewhere - but Im not sure where. At least that seemed to help the CDI Last longer than a year. My battery connections are all clean and tight.

did the flywheel get replaced or was the magnet reglued back into place? Stator output I was refering to, is the 150V Bill mentioned, not charging output. Although, I have seen when the motor is overcharging heavily, I have seen p/p's get fried.
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Thread Information