Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: HELP 200 Rude XP Blowing CDI power packs

Post Thanks / Like

Well, thats great, but you never told me the problem was it wouldn't start, you said it was blowing packs.

If you would have told me that a lack of spark while cranking was the issue, I would have led you to the starter first.

We had weak starters in those years, there are 2 different style brushes for those. They are marked with "S" or "SF" the "S's" being the good ones. Also, depending on location of the battery. The size of the battery cables are VERY important. The factory cables are marginal at best over 10ft. The gear drive starter has a very high intitial cuurent draw. Therefore small battery cables will ruin even a good starter. I always liked the guys that would bolt cables together to extend them, and the customer would fail starters or would have hard starting problems.

Put like 0 gauge cables on your motor and it will always start better, and your starter will last longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gohr View Post
    Well, thats great, but you never told me the problem was it wouldn't start, you said it was blowing packs.

If you would have told me that a lack of spark while cranking was the issue, I would have led you to the starter first.

We had weak starters in those years, there are 2 different style brushes for those. They are marked with "S" or "SF" the "S's" being the good ones. Also, depending on location of the battery. The size of the battery cables are VERY important. The factory cables are marginal at best over 10ft. The gear drive starter has a very high intitial cuurent draw. Therefore small battery cables will ruin even a good starter. I always liked the guys that would bolt cables together to extend them, and the customer would fail starters or would have hard starting problems.

Put like 0 gauge cables on your motor and it will always start better, and your starter will last longer.
    Bill,

I really appreciate all your help as well as all the other guys that chipped in

I had been blowing power packs for the last few years. When the spark appreared to be failing me on this time - I assumed the power pack had failed once more.

I was shocked when the mechanic told me he got the plugs to fire by changing the starter I thought he was trying to rip me off

What you have stated above is even more interesting. Thanks for that information - I plan to look into the welding cables.

Again I appreciate everyones help in this matter.

Thread Information