Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 45 hulls...another dumb????

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dean,
    You are so right, being new to the sport it is not as easy to get these kind of answers first hand....but you are absolutely right!
    I could tell a couple of funny stories...but won't.

Have a great day!
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by deanwilson View Post
    One other thing...talk to as many other people who know the boat and the owner. That way you'll get a feel for the reputation of both.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the big keys to 45 are set up and being able to finess the boat. There isn,t enough power to "muscle" the boat thru corners or recover from mistakes. Thgat's part of the reason wieght is critical.
    Shep

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

don't assume that a old boat or wrecked boat is a total loss tho! if the boat was wrecked, find out who repaired it and get the details of the repair job, and if it is just an old boat, find out what has been replaced, when the last time the deck was lifted and all the rotted wood pulled out, that usualy helps a lot

and on the subject of flexing and crooked sponsons......a lot of the new boats have their capsules attached at an angle, due to the fact that the sponsons are usualy built from templates.....and a flexing boat can actualy be benificial in rougher water, but obviously you don't want a boat that flexes to the extent that it begins to fracture stringers or pull apart from the glue....so ya, its something to worry about, but its not extremely crucial to have the least amount of flex, just the proper amount

Post Thanks / Like

So Carlos,,,,, are you stepping into driving the 45 this next year since Jose has GRADUATED TO THE BIG LEAGUES

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

well, thats for me to know and for you guys to eventauly find out

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default weight?

So, anyone care to chime in here? If the legal weight with driver is 675lbs, what are your boats / drivers weighing in at?

Excuse me in advance if this is some racer's secret.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Some of the big keys to 45 are set up and being able to finess the boat. There isn,t enough power to "muscle" the boat thru corners or recover from mistakes. That's part of the reason wieght is critical.
    Shep

Post Thanks / Like

I think he's talking about weight placement.. A 45 boat is very short and under powered so getting the weight in the correct spot and finding the boats cg (center of gravity) is very important for lift and punch off the corner.

Also a driver has to be smooth with his steering inputs and not bind it up in the corner and scrub off speed.
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Post Thanks / Like

cat, 45's are to weigh in at 700 lbs (not 675). most rigs (boat/motor) weigh 500-550. few 200 lb driver are able to make weight, but it is possible. most people try to weigh in about 10 lbs over is all. and most sellers will exaggerate how light their boat is...

shep, it's funny to hear you even talk about finess.

carlos, i don't agree about the flex. i would never want my boat flexing. and why is all your 45 stuff for sale? one of you should run it...

lastly, some of the boats on the west coast are competitive in 45sst more than sst45. meaning they can flat turn like a hydro good on a long, wide course, but maybe not snap turn as well on the tight tracks you'll be on in TX. some boats can do both well, but some can't... just remember to consider.

good luck... and buy something already!

Post Thanks / Like

The west coast 45 racing basically consist of the Western Formula Light Sereis which is a 35 sec course with a lemans start and one or two pin turns designed for tunnel boat racing and competition. (which is why I run the WFLS and live in Washington state) The rest of the racing is local club racing an stock outboard type courses.
    You will find that the Champ 45 and PTT races in the midwest are the same as WFLS and that the rest are local club races.

All of the boats being built by regular builders are being built for these 35 sec sereis race courses. The individual one off boats being built may be built more for the type of course they run.
    You can't really go wrong with what you buy for running on the sereis races as long as it is one of the newer built boats of the well known builders around and you have checked the boat out to make sure it doesnt have any problems.

As I said before some boats just run better than others.
    Straight, light, true bottoms and havn't been wrecked several times.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Kevin just cause you haven't seen me finesse a boat doesn't mean I Don't know what it is or how to! LOL
    Shep

Thread Information