Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris Faria: Honolulu Police Chief

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rob Reed---HPBA

Welcome for BRF, Rob. So good to hear from you . Thought about you a lot and your "Uncle" Chris. I've totally lost touch wtih you for about 25 years. (And I didn't know anybody ever gave a $hit about my discussions about mean piston speed and of Lr :R connecting rod lengths. We should get back in touch--I could bore you for a few more hours.)

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Russ! I'm very happy to hear from you. I'm an old man now so you gotta be real old man!! I did listen to you go on about mean piston speeds. Took me a little longer to get it and you were as sharp as a tack! I'll PM my particulars to you. I would love to hear from you.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hbpa

Chris retired from the HPD as a Sergeant. He had some 30 odd years as a police officer. Started just as WW2 broke out in Hawaii. His wife that you all remember in Hawaii is Leinani. She passed in 1978 I think. Chris and Lei really got the Hawaiian Powerboat Assn going. Packer and his boats, Twin Sin? Twin Merc Twisters on a McCall.. Steven Soon, an 17 high school senior in a Kober tunnel with a stacker. Best closed course race I'd ever seen. The Kober had him in the turns and McCall had the straights. Went for 5 laps that way. Don't remember who won but it was something to see. Soon moved on to a Schultz tunnel with a C6. Hiram had a Molinari with a injected Chevy and a Mercruiser outdrive. Fast but unreliable. Packer had a great race against him too, one of the few times it ran! The Brockmans and that heavy *** Ron Jones outboard. He moved on to a Crusader as did a few of the racers there. Danny Pak was a master Merc mechanic. I remember when the stackers first came out and they worked all weekend getting it dialed in. Then the water injection for it. Anyone remember Kenny White? He was a water skiing champ before racing boats. He raced a flat bottom Kober. The Magoos pizza guy, Gil, had one too. I think at one point there were 6 or 7 of Kobers boats racing in Hawaii. The Checkmate V bottoms. Squirly! Fast! That was the hey day of boat racing in Hawaii. Chris and Lei, Dave and Kenny ( I think they stole each others girlfriends too) Hiram and Glen Wakamatsu. They had inboard flat bottoms too. H class, SK's SS's. Outboards FJ, SJ's V bottoms. The tunnels, McCalls, Schlutz's, Jones, Kobers, Molinaris, twins too. Crusaders. I saw lots of blow overs and some serious injuries. I witnessed the changing of the guard when the outboards got faster then the inboards. What an era. Thanks to all who made it so exciting to grow up in.

Hello, Rob, Great to hear from you!
    I was there! 1971, Kehei Lagoon, the next day we went water skiing and "Pine stealing!"
    You then went on to waterski in the surfline almost all the way to Diamond Head!
    Great times, I miss "Uncle Chris1"
    I'd love to get together, PM me sometime
    I'm in class right now, sorry for the short message

Bunker

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bunker! I sent your dad my ph # Give me a call sometime. Love to catch up. It's been maybe 30 years?
    Rob

Thread Information