Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1970 Barracuda Tunnel

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1970 Barracuda Tunnel

Here is my 70 Barracuda, lovingly restored with Imron paintjob. Had to replace the transom and add lots of beef to accomodate a Merc. 150. nosecone, solid motor mounts, hotfoot throttle, cleaned and matched, mild porting job. Boyesen reeds, yada yada.

Too much mota. Didn't know what I had until later when I read a few horror stories on Scream and Fly about these things and some of the similar boats that were coming out in the day. They had a tendancy to.... shall we say collect too much air and do what boats with too much air under them would do.

I never gave it the chance to top out. 70 was fast enough. I eventually sold it to a young guy, but would not sell him the engine, he put a Merc. 90 or something on it. I did not want to read about him in the paper.

The number was my old region 10 number from way back. I included a photo of an old Magnum that looks pretty similar. Don't remember where I got it, probably S & F. I rest my case!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default lean into it

Kinda cool how in all the old pics where you can see the drivers leaning into the wheel as if to fix the problem.

I wonder if anyone ever brought one back down with that technique?

Post Thanks / Like

That's the spread your legs, lean over as far as you can and pucker up position. LOL Been there.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

"Miss Magnum" Is that Don Arownow (spelling) Mr. Donzi, Mr. Formula, Mr. Magnum Mr. Cigarette etc, driving the blow over???

Post Thanks / Like

I love looking at those old pics and picking out the details.

The boat driver in the air is looking to his left at the guy who turned under him thinking gee I wish that was me.

After driving a capsule Champboat, you have to love looking at the guy driving the twin rig with his leg off to the right, knee up in the air, with absolutely no protection what so ever.

And of course that mint 1250 or 1350 with the cowl just touching the water, spinning like 7000 RPM and its' thinking this is gonna hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh. and that kissing the wheel thing is true, he was trying to save it. When you drove a rig like that, or a short V bottom, with no trim, at the end of the straight, as the boat is climbing with speed to that ragged edge, you would lean forward either balancing it or thinking you were.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice pic, looks like an old Carlson. Do you have any history about the boat you can share.

Thread Information