Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 8 cylinder Konig outboard

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm happy you have the "ONE"

Mark:

Just so there is no misunderstanding, I am happy that you have confirmation that the 8 cylinder you have is really the orginal one. There is so much history with that engine, that it would be a shame if it was not. I was not in any way closely involved with the motor at the time it was being raced, but did as previously posted see it run the first time in Florida, and consequently raced at Lakeland in the same time frame, driven by Charlie Bailey on the Byers hydro. Wayne has also posted his rememberances of what Charley's comments were on how it drove and handled, so as they say you have some "provenance" on the engine.

As I orginally posted, and then Tim Chance has confirmed, we both understood that Danny Kirts had made two 500's from the one engine. I don't remember now if it was him that told me that, or someone else, but that is my recollection and based on Tim's recent post, his also. The motor could have certainly been put back in the orginal configuration, and as stated, I hope that is the case, as it is a real piece of outboard racing history.

I guess I'm just lucky I am still here and I can still remember some of the things I heard and talked about and saw all those years ago. Congratulations on your "prize", and please understand my comments were not meant in any way to cast doubt on the authenticity of the engine you have displayed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Van Steenwyk View Post
    Mark:

Just so there is no misunderstanding, I am happy that you have confirmation that the 8 cylinder you have is really the orginal one. There is so much history with that engine, that it would be a shame if it was not. I was not in any way closely involved with the motor at the time it was being raced, but did as previously posted see it run the first time in Florida, and consequently raced at Lakeland in the same time frame, driven by Charlie Bailey on the Byers hydro. Wayne has also posted his rememberances of what Charley's comments were on how it drove and handled, so as they say you have some "provenance" on the engine.

As I orginally posted, and then Tim Chance has confirmed, we both understood that Danny Kirts had made two 500's from the one engine. I don't remember now if it was him that told me that, or someone else, but that is my recollection and based on Tim's recent post, his also. The motor could have certainly been put back in the orginal configuration, and as stated, I hope that is the case, as it is a real piece of outboard racing history.

I guess I'm just lucky I am still here and I can still remember some of the things I heard and talked about and saw all those years ago. Congratulations on your "prize", and please understand my comments were not meant in any way to cast doubt on the authenticity of the engine you have displayed.
    Right! If Danny can take an F apart and make to C's. He certainly can take those two C's and put them back where they came from. Especially since they were unique with the rotary valve and exhaust on the same side.

Post Thanks / Like

Theres a new beast on the block.From what i heard it was made by Steve Litizell dont know if has been ran.It was on display at the worlds in Fl.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Tomtall

Talking The Beast !

Ronny -

Thanks for posting the pictures. I had not seen that new 8 cyl. yet but Al Lang had mentioned the following to me in an e-mail not to long ago.

Did you see pictures of Steve Litzell's 8 cyl Konny? When he gets it worked out with boats and props, it should be a screamer. He wants to run it in 1100 runabout. He has run it at Constantine and DePue this year.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the third one. I asked Steve how long it took to build. He said "One month". I told him I was amazed he could do it so quickly what with all the precision work, alignments, rotary valve belt drives, etc. He said he had built two for other people so he had it down now. I can't remember whether or not he had collaboration with the other two he built, and whose original idea it was. He definitely did some good work though.

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's Alive, It's Alive

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny W. View Post
    Theres a new beast on the block.From what i heard it was made by Steve Litizell dont know if has been ran.It was on display at the worlds in Fl.
    Indeed, this engine has had a couple of shakedown passes on an 1100cc runabout. It ran well out of the box, although I believe that a couple of tweaks may be required still. I do not know if Steve plans to race it further in 1100cc runabout or if it may find its way to the back of a capsule boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Konny 8

This engine is basically perfected except a belt change. The belts used between the 2 rotary valves were different at first test and Steve figured out that the weak point was the difference in the belts. After this change you can bet there will be a hi-top Konny making the short time passes. Knowing Steve the way I do, he won't stop until he has broken a few records and won the nats and UIM championships. He's like that you know..............
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

I read with interest where Steve Litzell stated he was the only man who could crank the 8 cylinder Konig owned by Marshall Grant.

I also read somewhere that according to legend I was the only man who could crank it.

Truth of the matter is the only time I ever saw that motor was at the Reunion in DePue. I never did crank that engine, but would have loved to try.

Marshall did show some pictures of this motor to Ann Cadle; Karen's mom, and me after a Johnny Cash show at Macomb, IL during the early 70's.

I did get to see Steve's stacked 8 cyl. Konny at Lake Alfred. It is a beautiful piece of work!! Great job Steve!!

However; I must take some exception to this engine being called a beast.

A BEAST IS A 90 CUBIC INCH QUINCY LOOPER!!!

No, I've never cranked one of those either and I don't believe anyone else has.

Post Thanks / Like

Gene, I have no doubt that you could crank that 8-cyl Konig even today. Only difference between now and the 70's is that now you would probably need a rope.

The big 90-incher had electric start. We eventually put it on Stan Higgins's Checkmate and we kept the stock clubfoot on it. First trip out, I think there were 4 of us in it and it went from floating peacefully in the water to chine walking about as fast as you could open the carbs. I recall testing it after we put the Speedmaster unit on and there was no way to stop it from chine walking. Way before the movie, "Jaws", all I could think of on those test runs was "we're gonna need a bigger boat".

Frank

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default There can be only one? Almost like a movie theme.....

Seems there can be only one.........per monster engine!

Back in the early 1960s the British Anzani twin block coupled "C" Alky really had only one real qualified tested and true starter according to Tim Chance who then told me the man had passed away about 5 years before I thought what was a "myth" engine back in the late 1960s came back together again here during the winter of 2006-2007. According to Tim the man that started this mythical engine was about 350 pounds of hardened muscle and that is what it took in one qualified man to start it. Other times evidently it took 2 people on two ropes, less successfuly!

Do the men who could have or did start the 8 cylinder Konig with a rope start measure up with that engine double the size of the Anzani for the braun it took one man to start it, the 4 cylinder Anzani twin block coupled "C" never mind the twice larger Konig?

Tim Chance, you know these guys, what say you? LOL!
    Last edited by John (Taylor) Gabrowski; 11-16-2008 at 08:37 PM. Reason: additions

Thread Information