Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: 8 cylinder Konig outboard

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stories Jim. Keep them up. I wasn't around any of those courses most of the stuff you talk about happened...only the Eastern, Western Divisionals, and the Nationals. But I knew you guys were always working on it. I am amazed with the little amount of oil in the reservoir that Danny could even make the start with what horsepower he had.

When you mention props Jim, Marshall also had the same problem with that dual rotary valve, 4 carb motor we bought from him. Races were lost because a blade broke. With that beast of a motor you would find a powerhouse on top that was amazingly dependable, but everything below had to stand up. To me the weak link was the lower unit with not enough strength nor lubrication to last under the power. If you had props that would stand up, and a lower unit that could transfer that power for a long enough time without breaking, you may have had a driveshaft twist up. All in all, I think given time and money...all the mechanical failures could have been corrected. The motor itself from what I saw was very reliable.

Thanks for your input Jim....and here is a pic for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    I have looked at those spec sheets in passing a hundred times, but never studied them. I pulled out some old NOA rule books Johnny Dortch gave me and now I know where the H, HRA, HRE etc come from. I haven't looked through all of them yet, but it appears the FA, FB etc came from around 1964-65. Thanks Mark & Rog for the lead.

Here are pics of that boat behind Dieter's shop that Jeff was referring to. I took them after Lars Strom got his Volvo-Konig loaded up. I will E mail Peer Krage to see if he knows anything about it. It's hard to imagine the configuration of a 12 cylinder Konig. It looks like the motor well is too narrow, but then again a beefed up tower would have fit. I couldn't imagine that much weight so high though. If this was the boat, then maybe part of the hull design at the rear was for flotation. I have no doubt in my mind that Hans would have driven that monster, but he never mentioned it to me. However, Hans had so many tales and experiences that I doubt that any one person would have heard them all.
    Hallo Wayne,
    I think i can help out and stop the discussion about unbelievable 12 Zyl.König
    engines.This boat was driven by Ulli Rochel and my father Hans Krage with an
    3Zyl.65 Hp König like you see on the picture.The driver in the boat is Ulli.
    They won the 6hours of Berlin with it.Later on they cut of the front to lay down and test an 850cc racing-engine on the channel at Dieters place.
    Everyone got to have a flip there Ulli,Hans,Dieter,Werner Franke....
    When they fliped the boat they need to make a hole to the bottom because the negative pressure,
    sucks the boat to the surface of the water and they couldnt get it out.
    I hope i helped you out with this information.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Peer. The boat has a totally different look in those pictures. I was thinking about you father this morning and that DVD we talked about. I don't want to just throw a bunch of pictures together. I want some kind of theme or "hook" and I haven't quite figured it out yet. I have enough pictures to do a lengthy one and I want to do it right.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny W. View Post
    Theres a new beast on the block.From what i heard it was made by Steve Litizell dont know if has been ran.It was on display at the worlds in Fl.
    I have the pipes already, now I look for still another old engine for my collection

Post Thanks / Like

Hallo Guys,
    I have one 8Zyl.rotary valve engine for sale in my business.
    It belongs to a friend.
    And i know also that there is an reed valve engine for sale
    from another friend.Both engines are complet with middle section and gearbox.
    If you need any information just contact me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peer Krage View Post
    This boat was driven by Ulli Rochel and my father Hans Krage with an 3Zyl.65 Hp König like you see on the picture.The driver in the boat is Ulli. They won the 6hours of Berlin with it.
    Peer, do you know what year that was?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peer Krage View Post
    Hallo Guys,
    I have one 8Zyl.rotary valve engine for sale in my business.
    It belongs to a friend.
    And i know also that there is an reed valve engine for sale
    from another friend.Both engines are complet with middle section and gearbox.
    If you need any information just contact me.
    you have post office (email)

Thread Information