Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 8 cylinder Konig outboard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lakeland testing..........

It was Lake Matty...............Uncle Walt's favorite testing lake.
    Charley Bradley

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks Charley

Lake Matty is correct. Thanks Charley. Usually what happens to me these days is I can remember what I did 30-40 years ago but not what I did or where I left something yesterday. Was it spelled Matty or was it Matte, anyway it was a great place to test. I just knew that one year we went out there to test and couldn't get back there through the orange groves anymore.

I also had an opportunity in the same time frame (mid-late 70's) to see I believe I remember John Sherlock testing a quite large and beautiful 3-point hydro with a Merc V-6 on it. Really scary fast and across the lake in what seemed to be only seconds and almost out of sight. I think I might have some pictures of that and will see if I can find them. Probably took some of the 8-cylinder testing but have no idea where they would be now.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another one.........

That same lake was the place where John Yale was testing one of Dick ODea's outfits with one of Dick's aluminum shafthousings that he liked so much. The lower unit snapped off, swung up and around by the cooling hose, and John grabbed it out of the air just as the tubing melted through. Good Save John!
    Charley Bradley

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wish John would have been on the Dallas Cowboys defensive unit a couple of weeks ago.

I have a few pics Bill Van, but only in the pits. It's kind of coming back now that the subject is up. Joe talked to Marshall today and he never roped it. The motor did come to Marshall in 1974 at Lakeland with starters included. Marshall told Joe that he didn't think it could be started with ropes. I have in my mind that it was at least tried. If it was, it would have been with the Kirts'.

I will try to post a few pics from Lake Matty in the morning, but it maybe in the next day or two. Joe also may have some other comments he got from Marshall today.

One thing Joe told me after talking to Charlie Bailey today was that Charlie DID NOT like driving it. He said it was too heavy. But remember. At that time Marshall had that big diameter right hand rotation prop. Just imagine trying to drive on a 1 2/3rds mile circular course with a right hand rotation prop constantly trying to pull the tail end to the right. Might as well tie a rope to the bow handle and swing the rig around counter clockwise.

BTW. The motor did not run as well at Lakeland as it did at Lake Matty.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mark............glad we are on speaking terms. I was a little worried after re reading my post about the 8. I had hoped you read it with the intent I had posted it--That having the engine 100% original makes it all the more worth having, and admiring by guys like me!

Guys used to try all kinds of different stuff on their pipes, rust paint, high heat stuff etc., and even chrome. They looked real pretty, but never won races it seemed. Someone told me years ago (a little foggy here--cannot remember name) that lack of heat displacement on the exhaust pipes cost you horse power. I could see the point with the chrome, as it is a real heat holder.

Most of us just used to use WD-40 or some kind of spray lube on the pipes, to keep them from rusting. They looked nice n' shiney too. With age, the pipes used to turn a chocolate brown colour, and stayed that way. The elbows used to turn almost black, but the pipes stayed that nice brown. I guess the only way you arwe going to be able to copy it is strip the flat black, and take her for a rip!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aww man.......Jeff!

I always painted our pipes flat black, including elbows, but then after time they got the look you describe. But, I always came back and redid them before they got too far gone. That is how we raced them. Now you're telling me that that's not authentic? You know what's not authentic. When I saw all these beautifully restored engines and I am having trouble with making mine look so great, I painted the elbows glossy black. I thought they looked kind of cool, but I would never race them that way. So now do I have to go back and remove the glossy black and not do the flat black we raced with?

Here is a pic from Lake Matty. The first test of the eight cylinder Konig of Marshall Grant's. Left to right: Baldy Baldwin, in the background by his rental car..Bill Van Steenwyk, Jack Chance, Marshall Grant, Ray Hardy with the Bud, Charlie Bailey, and to the far right Tim Butts' Dad. (I have a brain malfunction on his name right now).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Uh oh..............I'm in trouble now!!

We're just dumb Canadians man, what the hell did we know anyways!

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a red plastic battery box cover on top of the motor?
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

That's what it is Mark. It is just setting there to cover the ignition while Marshall was doing work in the pits.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe talked to Marshall last week about the 8, but Joe has been too busy to put it down so I'll relay what Marshall told Joe.

He never cranked it with a rope. He said he doubted it could be done. I have a vision in my head to two people trying to crank it on a count. I DON'T have a vision of them starting it however. So my memory could be just a bunch of us standing around and trying to figure out if it could be done. If there was any bunch of racers that may try it though, that would be the Kirts family.

Marshall said it would take at least three boats to work out a setup. The Byers and the Butts were never purchased specifically for that motor. So what Marshall meant was having boats built and tested specifically to run that motor on. He also had it in his mind that the final boat would be very long, and a cabover type where the boat would rock over and get the transom up. There has been many years past since the motor was run and a lot of boat design changes. I myself would think it would be nice to try it in a caspule boat sitting up with power lift and trim and being able to sit in the cockpit with both hands on the wheel rather than to hold on to the steering wheel with one hand and the throttle in the other. I can't imagine what shoulder strength it would take to really race it hard in a kneeler.

As far as top speed, Marshall thinks it would do 150mph and he was one of the three persons that drove it. I think Marshall knows what he is talking about.

Of course as we all know the weak point was the lower unit. There was just nothing else out there to go to. Imagine all that horsepower and only about 20 cc (I forget the capacity of a Konig unit, but it wasn't much) of lubricant for the gears and bearings. Marshall told Dan to start with the rest of the field, get to the first turn with them and tip-toe around the corners. Then when he got straightened out, get it up to speed. He told Dan if he eased through the corners he would have enough speed down the straights to pass boats then increase his lead. That worked until that historic race at Fort Worth. Joe laughed when he told Marshall that worked until he came up against his own former motor. Just what Marshall said would happen did at that race. Marshall told Joe that if you had to really race that motor, the lower unit would only be good for two laps. Ironically, before Joe called Marshall I was picking his brain to see what he remembered when Dan and I got into the heat of the battle. Joe said Dan blew his unit after two or three laps. That's about what I remember. After we came out of the first turn I got a big jump out of the corner and Dan caught me going into the next turn. I guess previously he had enough speed to get to the next turn first. Dan could see the handwriting on the wall and must have figured he was going to have to push it through the turns to get around and it was just too much for the unit.

Marshall also said he didn't put the water injection on---it was Dan.

Thread Information