Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AOMCI 2007 fall meet

Tomtall

Thumbs up AOMCI 2007 fall meet slidshow

The Wolverine Chapter in Michigan pulled out all the stops at Mark Suters meet. Click on the slidshow feature to take you thru the show.

Pictures at -- http://rides.webshots.com/album/561311714jfdOde

Post Thanks / Like

Was that 4-W one of Jerry Waldman's boats?

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 4-W Marchetti

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    Was that 4-W one of Jerry Waldman's boats?
    NO! When Jerry raced stock, he used Sid-Craft hydros & runabouts. In his earlier years he drove Speedliner runabouts. The 4-W might have been Dale Kargus' boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'll Bite...

Dale Kargus?? Vern Kargus's dad??? Has anyone written about Vern Kargus in the Encyclopedia???

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When I bought the 4-W boat, I was told that it had been raced by a number of families and that the most recent was the Berghauer family (the other owners were not identified). It was pretty beat up so I had it restored by Dwight Morin of Rapid City, MI. Dwight came up with the color scheme.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for chiming in Mark. I hope you are able to contribute more here on BRF. Your collection is impressive!
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

V-E-R-Y Impressive!

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 4-w

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Suter View Post
    When I bought the 4-W boat, I was told that it had been raced by a number of families and that the most recent was the Berghauer family (the other owners were not identified). It was pretty beat up so I had it restored by Dwight Morin of Rapid City, MI. Dwight came up with the color scheme.
    And, since Dale married a Berghauer & raced with them, I believe that adds some credibility to it have been originally raced by Dale.

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

Vern Kargus married Harold's oldest daughter Jan. Vern raced 9-W. Even though Vern married a Berghauer he was fiercly independant. To my knowledge, they traded very little equipment if it all. Vern almost always ran a Sid. The Sid is still with the family. Vern's two sons, Tommy and Davey were noteable racers too with Tommy winning 2 or 3 titles. Vern's oldest daughter, Kristi is married to Don Allen Jr. Kristi's son Donny is also a former national champ winning CSH most recently at Wakefield.

Vern was the first stocker to win a nationals with a 3 blade prop. Vern really was the pioneer of three blade wheels. He worked with Dennis Wytroski who in my mind is a questionable figure, I think that's being kind. From what I heard, Dennis was a sort of a front man for Tom Pettit of Mercury racing.

At Hinton in 1976 he blew the filed away with an experimantal Anderson hydro and a 3 blade prop. He had a 20H that was phenomonal named the flame. It only came out for nationals and Tommy still has it.

My family has been great friends with the Kargus and Berghauer clan going back to the 50's. There are no nicer people.

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This forum is incredible. It never ceases to amaze me how a picture is able to unfold the history of the subject matter. Thanks for the comments, guys. I now know who raced my Marchetti.

Thread Information