Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AOMCI 2007 fall meet

Post Thanks / Like

Mark,

It was nice to meet you and your wife(name?) at the Louisville, TN show. I appreciate that your wife took the time to help with my son, Ryan, so I could set out all my crap. Unfortunately, now I have a Star Wars fanatic on my hands(she bought him a X wing fighter at the garage sale)

If you make it back in the spring, I just may have that Yamato on a boat and I will burn some methanol and castor! If I can dig up enough boats, I just may fire up that '59 A Konig too.
    Had I known 1984 was going to be my peak year, I would have tried harder

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Eric, both Elaine and I enjoyed talking to you and Ryan at the Louisville, TN meet. Sorry that Elaine got Ryan hooked on Starwars toys but at least it wasn't something expensive like outboard racing motors. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing your scrapbook. It sure looked like you had fun with the racing in Europe. Not sure if we will make Louisville in the Spring but you never know. I would enjoy seeing that Yamato run.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1984 250ccH National Champ Boat

Eric,

I was at Jesup, Ga a couple weeks ago and saw the famous 250ccH hydro that won 1984national championship on Danny William's trailer. She looked ready to roll! We are all still racing waiting for you to come out of retirement again.

Chris

P.S.-Kids are more expensive than racing. You can stop now and you still have time to recover.....!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hellsten View Post
    Eric,

I was at Jesup, Ga a couple weeks ago and saw the famous 250ccH hydro that won 1984national championship on Danny William's trailer.
    I only wish that was the '84 boat(built in '82). The '84 boat went to Bob Saxvik and may have changed hands a few more times since. Danny Williams has the '85 boat, its the one in my avatar. I sold it to Jimmy Aderholt to fund the '89 boat.

Mark,

I'd like to know more about the Koing opposed twin 250 in your collection. Did Dieter build that? Or did someone use two of the 60's 125cc single cylinders on a common crank?

Post Thanks / Like

Chris,
    OMG!!!!!!! Is that a dugout in your avatar??? Have you gone completley to th the dark side?

I love kids, got three, no more bedrooms in the house, just may have to stop. Just told Jim McKean yesterday that I hoe to spectate at a race again soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hoe!??!

What's that Eric? What do you expect to do at a race?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Eric, as far as I know, the 250 opposed is a Konig-built motor. Ed Thirlby told me it was raced by a guy named Harry Hardin out of Port Huron, MI. It has what appears to be a factory serial number on it (RA7080). The crankcase looks like it has been modified to mount 3 carbs in place of two but otherwise looks like it was designed and manufactured for the 250 application. Ed said it was not a very smooth running motor but it was very competitive. I bought it from a collector in Michigan who got it from Dale Robertson. Dale said it never was very competitive. With these two conflicting stories, I am not sure what the real story is on its performance. The pipes are fixed (not sliders).

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

3 cylinder Konig?
    I was interested to see the picture of the 3cyl Konig and was wondering if there was any history on this one. Were there many of these engines around? I've only ever come across two of them. One in florida in the early sixties??, and another previously owned by John Dertinger of Tilsonburg, Ontario Canada which was later owned by C.W. Wright of Willowdale, and then John Porter of Odessa.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Glenn, I know very little about this motor but it is the same one that was owned by John Porter, C.W. Wright and John Dertinger. I believe it is a 1956 class "C" motor and its serial number is HE5628. Hopefully, some of the other guys can shed some more light on its history.

Post Thanks / Like

Evening Mark:

I used to drop by John Porters house at least once a year or so to talk racing and look at the beautiful collection he had. I thought the same thing Glenn did when I first saw the pics........I wonder if it's the same one John had, and then Bill Wright before? I never knew of it's history before that, although I knew John Dertinger as well.

I also see from Paul's post on the other thread on the 8 cyl. Konig, about the FB182 Looper you have, and the owner who ordered it new. Paul and I were speaking for quite awhile last night, and I recalled for him the 1st time I ever saw / heard a Looper run, around 1972..........It looks like it was this same engine if my history is right--I just made the connection tonight. Bill Wanamaker, the 1st owner of the Looper was the owner of the B hydro's that Canadian, Doug Thompson used to race. After Bill and Doug started running Konigs, and making the program win, the Looper was sold to John Porter. Is this where you got it?

Another question for you too: I sold John Porter a B Konig for his collection, funny enough, it was the same Konig that replaced the Looper I was speaking of above, and also once owned by Bill Wanamaker. Previous to that it belonged to Chuck and Lou Simon out of LaSalle Quebec. I had blown the engine up really badly---tossed a retainer, and it grenaded the innards, then sold it to John.

Do you by any chance know who bought it at John's Estate auction if you were there?

4 cylinder B Konig, w/ Nydahl ignition, red painted on the heads, serial number VB6900. If you looked closely at the castings, it had my mane stamped in it too.

The reason I would like to know is, I still have some paperwork and rebuild specs for it that were given to me by the Simon brothers. The new owner might like to have them.

Thanks..........Jeff

Thread Information