Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ron's Parker Post on Hot Boat

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe and Steve, I wouldn't worry about the STV's. They're not the ideal platform for a rough water race, at least not with a novice driver. IMO they're not any faster than the other modern designs at a given weight, and don't respond well to the 1" below the bottom rule.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not To Worry??????

Who me? The last year I raced the 7 hour there were lasers and stv's. I finished 4th over all and 3rd in mod vp right behind Fred Bowden. We were both in light lay up Daytonas. The one thing I can tell you is that if one of those things passes you duck. In that race I think all but one of them blew over and they go really high in the air and come down really hard and with a debris field that is very large. If we're going to let them in how bout mod u boats and on and on and on.

I know its a problem for Ross every year to come up with entrys and the last minute stuff like will we have enough boats, but come on.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I've "ducked" a few boats, 2 of them were STV's.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fyremanbill View Post
    Joe and Steve, I wouldn't worry about the STV's. They're not the ideal platform for a rough water race, at least not with a novice driver. IMO they're not any faster than the other modern designs at a given weight, and don't respond well to the 1" below the bottom rule.
    I disagree I owned a stv with a 200hp merc and with the shaft 1" below the boat could run 88mph with a full tank and 94mph with half a tank.They also ran in the same class as the stokers and dominated the mod vp class so they could handle the water at the enduro no problem.They are faster by design than the modern designs. But one has never been run in the enduro so I think this is a mute point and you can not discriminate a certain boat if it meets the rules it meets the rules and live with it or join them! Also STV are sold as a 19ft boat so one could have ran in Div 5 this year there does not have to be a rule change for them to race as the rules sit!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default stv

the stv and similar are very fast, i believe the mph #'s , I agree it is not right to outlaw any mfg's offering, however it is important that we establish some type of weight parity. for example, speaking for outboards of course, set the weight limit the same for for all outboard classes. maybe 1500lbs dry, maybe keep the 1100 lb # for someone who has an inline 6 cylinder? that way it is closer to racing heads up with the light weight boat. with respect to the comment about discounting the weight because the two boats that had to add weight because they were light, did not win, all i can say is, what? the only time weight works to your advantage is in a wrestling match, i will always bet on the light boat, thanks, weigh them all, i can help, i also like the idea of paying a fee. joe

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Look Up In The Sky, Its A Bird, Its A Plane

No it's just another STV going over backwards. I guess I agree, let em run. It just means more trash in the water to dodge. But how about giving us heavy weights a chance by dropping us down a notch or two. I know we're just comming for the fun of it but we'd like a shot something....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default By the way

There is a 19' stv euro ski on boat trader . com I think the guy must subscribe to this web site. He's asking 19 grand and advertising it as a 100mph ski boat with full interior. Strip it down it will probably do 115

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El Hombre View Post
    I disagree I owned a stv with a 200hp merc and with the shaft 1" below the boat could run 88mph with a full tank and 94mph with half a tank.They also ran in the same class as the stokers and dominated the mod vp class so they could handle the water at the enduro no problem.They are faster by design than the modern designs. But one has never been run in the enduro so I think this is a mute point and you can not discriminate a certain boat if it meets the rules it meets the rules and live with it or join them! Also STV are sold as a 19ft boat so one could have ran in Div 5 this year there does not have to be a rule change for them to race as the rules sit!
    You may have had one that was built heavy enough to handle the rigors of Enduro and Mod VP style racing. That would be fine. The true Mod VP boats were very good in moderately rough water. (especially the Mirage's )

But the next guy may have one that was strictly built for drag racing --- meaning each boat came from the same mold, but they will definiately NOT be the same boat.

Even though they were called "light layup", the boats built back during Mod-VP days were actually much stronger/heavier than the boats built for quarter mile drag racing top speed only in recent years. Mod-VP died more than 12 years ago, and after that, those same boats started becoming lighter and lighter due to the trend to switch over to drag racing.

That's my fear --- that some will see these boats and think they are the same as the previous champs of the rough-and-tumble IOGP Mod-VP days, but when they see the differences in how they are laid up, they will see they certainly aren't all the same.

Gotta be careful here...."Enduro races" have always meant you had better run "tough boats", not drag hulls. Make sure only the proper type hulls are being entered. It would be sad to have to say goodbye to a $19,000 boat after it gets all busted up doing what it was never built to do.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It is true that the Mod VP STV's were faster under certain conditions, but rough water wasn't it. Professional drivers like Chris Bush could make it work, but lots of novice types didn't fair so well. I don't know how much better the larger designs will do, but they were legal this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep the weight at 1250-1350 and the prop shaft at least 2” below the bottom. That is about the safest you can make it.
    As for the boat length, bring on the 18’ 17’ or even a 12’ boat as long as the weight is 1250-1350 dry. I would really enjoy watching a novice driver in a 17' boat up river near the first turn. I got my Baker on it’s side more then once. It gets rough and it is only going to get rougher.

Thread Information