Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet designs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jet designs

This is a Jim Rich or jet guy type question, so here goes....

I was out doing some windshield time today and my brain got to going....Jets typially take in water through what I will call a hole in the bottom and squirt it out.. Now as we all know, the faster you go, the greater the friction, thus the need to get more boat out of the water to reduce the drag....Since the jet sucks itself into the water, there is only so much boat you can remove from the water without wrecking the amount of thrust it can give....So, the question....

Has anyone ever tried building a jet that bolted entirely behind the transom? You would use an intermediate drive like a lower unit boat does, then connect the jet? I know, that sucker would be hanging over the back a ways...But, it could get boat out of th water, whilst allowing the sucker to suck so it can squirt water..... Same basic design as a through the bottom jet, but this would mount kind of like a lower unit boat, the intake just behind the transom, then the thruster behind that to make the boat go....You could even get kind of crazy and add trim to the whole thing....

Has it ever been done, and is this too warped to even concieve, or does it have possibility? I'm thinking with as hard a a jet comes out of the hole, it could raise the top end for dragging....

Post Thanks / Like

Jet drive stern drive? Cool idea, never seen it done or proposed.

Couldn't you just put an aftermarket jet for some big outboard on a similar stern drive?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam, as I'm thinking through this thing (sometimes I take breaks from work to get a break and end up thinking about working on things) I belive jet intakes sit under engines and through the bottom they go....Then, the driveshaft to the pump, and the droop snoot type pump which Jim showed me at Bakersfield....So you have some type of affair that theorectically is 4' long and runs sort of at an angle, because the boat bottom is lower than the thrust hole....

I'm envisioning this thing would almost have to have the intake mount just under the thrust hole/pump. A big two stroke outboard could be a fun toy on this bad boy like a 3.0 Merc or even an old V-8 OMC...If only I had to money to put some of these brain farts I get into models....The Skoontzenator comes to mind.....

Jim, where you at on this??????

Post Thanks / Like

Have you seen an outboard jet? Seems like that is what you are describing??
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Not up close and personal, but in pictures, yes....The signifiant difference here is the outboard would have alot more hanging in the water. Ideally, the intake would be right at the surface, perhaps even using some type of very shallow sterring fins to funnel water into the hole. I'm after reducing drag here, which, I think mounting the unit after transom would allow the boat to hang........Trim would give us bow lift...I could see the danger of a blow over in the horizon....Maybe large afterplanes could handle that.....

Post Thanks / Like

Save a hole lot of time and effert and get a outboard jet. they mount behind the transom, they have tilt/trim, no need for ruders, the shoe (sucker) sets down in the water but the pump dosn't so it has no drag and they make fins to direct water in but it looks like it would create more drag than their worth. go to www.outboardjets.com this might help. Hope this helps some.

e-PerformanceMarine.com ePerformanceMarine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    Sam, as I'm thinking through this thing (sometimes I take breaks from work to get a break and end up thinking about working on things) I belive jet intakes sit under engines and through the bottom they go....Then, the driveshaft to the pump, and the droop snoot type pump which Jim showed me at Bakersfield....So you have some type of affair that theorectically is 4' long and runs sort of at an angle, because the boat bottom is lower than the thrust hole....

I'm envisioning this thing would almost have to have the intake mount just under the thrust hole/pump. A big two stroke outboard could be a fun toy on this bad boy like a 3.0 Merc or even an old V-8 OMC...If only I had to money to put some of these brain farts I get into models....The Skoontzenator comes to mind.....

Jim, where you at on this??????
    I was wondering what that smoke was !

As I think I showed you we run loaders and shoes under the boat to grab more water while reducing the drag with hull lift. We also run set-back pumps thus letting you air the hull out more to reduce drag, while running a shoe and loader.
    Jim & Amanda Rich
    CJ 72 & 53c

JR Performance Motorsports

Jet Drive Service & Repair

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Apples/Oranges?

You guys lost me when you moved that 500+# iron behind the transom cause 2 strokes sure makes more of what is is, and they didn't even ask that cigar girl , i guess like Roger Miller said way in the back.!!!
    RichardKCMo

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Jim. I remember. The jet technology of today is light years ahead of the days when every day cruiser under the sun had a 455 Olds hooked to their Berkley....

But, condsider that if there was some way to put all that stuff behind the boat, and the ability to lift, or trim the pump, with nothing under the boat sucking you in. It would all be behind you.

Have you ever heard of such a thing, and/or does it sound like knit wittery, or might this just be a way to gain more speed?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 95 MPH jet

Look over on hotboat. There is a thread about a 95 MPH "Eagle" cruiser type with the jet stuck way out the back.....Looks just like what you are discribing........MP

Search "95 MPH boat"

Thread Information