Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: John Landon C and D Hydro Racer

Post Thanks / Like

Default John Landon C and D Hydro Racer

I bought a 30H almost a year ago from a guy who knew nothing about it. It had been repainted white sometime during it's earlier days. It appeared that it hadn't been run in years and needed some internal work due to some rusting of rings etc. It was also apparently raced at some time as there were remnants of a number, illegible, followed by a C which indicates Region 12 in the earlier days. The name John Landon is stamped in the block as well as the initials JL on various other pieces. Steve Wilde said he recognized the name and Ron Hill will probably know. I was at Darrell Sorensen's yesterday and we looked up the name in an old APBA book. John Landon was listed as living in Pasadena.

Just out of curiosity, do you or anyone out there know the history of this driver and or motor. The motor suffered damage at one time as the front case has been welded in front of crank pins 3 & 4. It runs well now, I tried to sell it on ebay a month or so ago but didn't generate much interest. Thanks
    Karl 88-C

Karl:

You asked about John Landon....John was a neighbor or Bob Martin and Ted May. I don't reallyknow how he got into boat racing, but he built his first boat in his garage. John was a "Door Hanger" by trade and quite a craftsman.

Seems he must have worked with Gale Adams on his boat design as the boat looked like an Adams Craft. I think Gale only built three boats, two D Hydro and a Jones Copy Cab Over. Biff Parker was quite successful witht he first ADams C Hydro, Biff ran it in D Hydro. Larry Adams ran the other Hydro that was like Jonh's and Biff's in both C and D.

As I recall, Johns boat was painted eith more than 50 coats of lacquer. It was black and white and call Le Sabre.

Gale Adams had come up with the "ROCKER" Bottom concept...in the last foot of the bottom he had an 1/8. This made the boats want to blow over backwards, so Ted May came up with the idea of REVERSE AIR TRAPS... (One inch deep at the sponson and 2 1/4 deep, a foot from the transom where they ended). Many of us KNEELDOWERS used to Test at Tin Can Beach (Now Bolsa Chica State Beach and Bird Watching Area).

Ted May helped John learn to drive and to try to get himgoing faster he loans John a 7 1/4 X 12 D Hydro Cary prop....Ted and Joh ended up jacking the motor way, way up and kicking it way, way under. And with the D Cary prop he absolutely "HAULED THE MAIL..."

John got started in late 1959 but by August of 1960, he was ready to go to the Nationals in Beloit. By this time he had a D Motor and he'd built a trailer that was pretty as his boat.

John was a little short of "BREAD" for the trip, so my dad told John he'd buy his gas, if he'd take me and my C-D Runabout. John, his brother Steve and I all headed for Beloit , Wisconsin, August, 1960...We got to Riverside had his '59 El Camino over heated...Took about 12 hours to get to Las Vegas.

My aunt lived in Vegas in those days, as it was dark, hot and all I told John, "Let's just stop at Aunt Georgie's for the night and head out tomorrow." So, we stopped at my Aunt's and took showers and cooled off and cleaned up...My aunt fed us, and gave John a couple of beers, John decide we should just drive while it was cool, in case his El Camino over heated again...

He wanted to buy a ice chest and my aunt said, there was a liquor store right on the corner of Okie Blvd and the strip...She said, "If you play that HORSE RACE MACHINE, bet the 100:1...Only win about three times an leave..."

So, off we go to the liquor store and John buys an ice chest and some beers....and plays the horse race machine and bet 10:1....25 cent bet, $25 winner... We hit that mother three times in a row and got the hell out of there.....as $75 bucks in 1960 was pretty good winnings...

I made about 15 trips to over the next six years, graduated from Flagstaff in 1966...Everytime I'd go, I'd go right to that liquor and bet the 100:1, three times and get the hell out of there...Most people probably didn't bet 100:1 and we never tried to hurt the machine, just get some beer money, and split!!!!

We made it to Beloit with no car trouble. When we got there I qualifed my C and D runabout. John really struggled with the corner with tose reverse air traps. He turned over testing on the first turn. John really didn't have much driving experience except on single bouy turn that we ran in California. He's watch the Sid Craft blast through the turns and think he should turn that way too. I told him to just drive like he was at home...

I don't think John qualified either class. At the Friday Night's driver's party, my dad, Joh, Roger Steermand and I think, John Van Epps, decided to steal the dessert cake... John Van Epps and Roger wer eeblocking the door and my dad and John took the cake...

They were putting the cake in John's El Camino, when someone said, "Hey, what are you guys doing?" My dad were stealing the cake....and they don't know who we are, do they John?" John said, "Hell no, they don't know who we are, Russ." Hello, California car license, John and Russ....

My dad had to fly home Sunday, but John returned the cake at trophies and everyone got a big laugh out of it....

In April of 1961, at Needles, I remember John and Mel Colby driving around Needles in Mel's T Bird...They had the top down, their helmets and jackets on, smoking cigars and driving a bit wild...

Seems John and Mel went to Gunterville, Alabama in 1961. John again didn't qualify...

John and his wife, Marlene, divored right after that...John was a very good looking man, but was a beautiful woman. After the divorece, I ended up with the boat and think, Mel Cloby got the engines. Neither engine was ever touched by my dad and I often felt John could have won with my dad's engines...

In JUne, 1962, I graduated High School, my dad had broken his leg pulling a painted scaffold down the street and I had decide I could win D Hydro with John Landon's boat.

The weather was so hot out gas boiled in the tank...Everytime I'd try to get on the plane, the engine would quit...I got no test time before D Hydro, and after about three laps and managed to run into some one and turn them over and bang up the boat a little. My dad's leg had swelled up like a water mellon in the heat....and he basically told me, "If was going to drive that DAMN HYDRO, he was parking my runabouts.

I sold John's Le Sabre and made $150, that day..I don't recall who I sold it to...and quit hyrdros forever....until 1964, anyway!!!

John Lando was very nice guy, and may have been Valley Sppedboat and United Speedboat High Point in 1960-61...

ADD: Seems Bob Martin, Ted may and John Landon all lived on Shipley Avenue in Long Beach and the 405 freeway went through Bob's house is why he moved to Anaheim...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-11-2007 at 09:11 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default John Landon

Another name from my childhood. My Dad and I went to Gunnersville with John in his T bird. I will never foget that great trip as long as live. I was about 7 then and on that trip my Dad and John made plans to build my JSR. I was always 7 going on 9. What a beatiful boat ended up being not legal. I don't think john charge my Dad for building it. He was the first person I can remember calling me "Douger" it sure stuck. And speaking about Gunnersville Ted May gave me a 100 dollar bill to run up to the hotel resturant and buy 65 hamburgers. That lady thought I stole the money I had to go back and get my Dad. Ted was buying burgers for everyone. Back to John him and Jack Secrest had a shop. That is where he built my boat. I can never thank him enough. Douger Martin 7-C

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default John Landon

Hi Doug,
    I found an old photo of my 1st race with a new Morehouse at Newport Dunes. My dad and I are getting ready to launch John Landon is watching (upper left) with , I think Chuck Lane in the shot. BRF has been a walk down memory lane lately. I remember John with the cleanest outfits, color matching, etc. I think , if my memory serves me correctly, his color was Black.

Ken Scoville Jr
    Boulder, CO
    ken@boatwrx.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Landon

Hey Ken, Another name from my past. How are you?
    Yes that looks like John. His boats were always black & white neat as a pin. Drove a cool car. Had Cool Boats. Marlene his wife good looking as well.
    Talk about cool men. Lets hear some stories about Your Dad or your Mom. There was a great lady. Maybe that would be a great topic. The Great Ladies behind the racers. Thanks for the memory's , Doug Martin 7-C

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mini Sk Hull by John Landon

Funny how things work. As racers we race hard. We follow the rules. We try to win. When someone breaks a rule we "KICK THEM OUT"....Some examples comes to mind...Dave Mayer flew gliders with his kids. He designed a wing for his B hydro and had the boat "FLYING". Henry Wagner decided wing weren't legal, though as I read the rulebook, hydros didn't have any rules except weight.

I personally don't think Mayer's wing would have won him any races, but by being ruled out, it slowed his racing desires and it still bothers him today. He'd work hard on making his boat faster.....and he thought he'd followed the rules.

Ted May welded a gas tank to his steering bar. It was low and worked as a "SISSY BAR" and kept him from blowing over...Carl McCoy was the inspector in those days and he said the rulebook required the tank to be in the boat...He DQ'd Ted twice and Ted ended up "beached" from APBA for ONE YEAR for running a gas tank that was illegal...

John Landon, really liked KIDS, he liked Doug "Dougger" Martin a lot. I often felt that had John and his wife Marlene had children, they may have never divorced. Anyway, John read the rule book and build "DOUGGER" a J Runabout.

As I recall this runabout looked like a SMALL SK HUll and had a $1,000 paint job, black and white like all John's equipment... John did all the work himself, I said, "$1,000" because in those days you couldn't spent a GRAND for a paint job...

Anyway, the boat was nowhere near legal by the rules...John had read the book, and built it as he read them. I had forgotten the boat, until DOUGGER remind me...the boat was so COOL LOOKING, WE SHOULD HAVE LET IT RACE...Maybe, more people would wanted to race something cool looking than a boat that looks like a box.......

Chad Hill raced STOCK OUTBOARDS from 9 years old to 15 years old...We'd park the boat out front at times, no one ever looked at them...At 16, Chad got a 45 TUNNEL, way cool looking....first day that boat drew a crowd from the neighborhood...

I've often felt we needed a prize for "BEST IN SHOW" at the races...Rules and winning, points have always driven Boat Racing....But FUN, FAMILY and FRIENDS is what it is really about...

Bob Martin, as race Chairman of SCOA, put on a race at Newport Dunes, California, 1958,sponored by Bray-Go oil...Here is all I have left of that race...

Bob Martin also put on ALL the Salton Sea races...1961...

ADD: Seeing that picture of John Landon...Hell, he was NEVER THAT YOUNG!!!!! Funny how your mind remembers things!!!!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-11-2007 at 11:32 AM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Douger I

It was the first of my boats called Douger. That was a cool boat. It was orange like all my boats were. I will be going home for christimas and I will grab some old pictures to post. I have some of John and my boat. I did race it for almost 2 years. I got my 1st trophy with it a 3rd place at Hanson Dam.
    That Paint was custom mixed and was baked on in a paint booth at a Ford delership. In 1961 that was crazy. I have no idea how much that cost but I do know The hard work and LOVE that built that little boat can never be measured. I will always cherrish that memory. Thank You JOHN where ever you are. Douger 7-C

Post Thanks / Like

Default Le Sabre II: John Lando

I guess my memory isn't as good as I thought...I guess, Doug Landon J Runabout was orange....But didn't it look like a little SK???

C-56 is Mel Colby in a John Landon build Sid Craft copy.
    64-C is Howard Jerorme ina Marchetti
    50-C is Joe Moore in a Moore Craft (Sid copy).

2-C was John Landon...

Three Mrs. Hill Life Jackets...

Thread Information