Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antique DeSilva runabout

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Antique DeSilva runabout

Here are some pics of my DeSilva racing runabout. Its powered by a Chrysler 3 cyl. poweread mated to a Chrysler racing mid and gearcase. I run it at the AOMCI events in Central Fl.
    The boat was formally owned by the late Al Scopinich.

Rich

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...2/100_0185.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...2/100_0183.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...interhaven.jpg

Tomtall

Thumbs up DeSilva

Richard - Very nice package ! What body of water were you running on in the picture?

Allen J. Lang

Smile DeSilva

Hi Richard- The last time I saw a picture of your boat was several years ago at a Florida meet with Al Scopinich, past national champ in CM runabout (back in the early 50s) Carl Ring and his wife. The boat had a 4-60 mounted on the stern. Glad to see you are taking great care of it.
    Have you clocked it?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your favorable comments. The lake where that picture was taken was Lake Shipp in Winter haven, about a month ago. As you can see the lake was glass smooth, and was all day. The speeds I`m getting are disappointing. It clocks on speedo at only 58mph, about 4200rpms. should be 5500.The props I find for that gearcase, with a 3/4" shaft, are meant for the original 135 hp 4cl. powerhead. and are way too big for the 75hp 3 cylinder. I had a couple repitched (less pitch) as much as possible, and thats where I am now at only 4200rpm The powerhead is strong with 150lbs in all cylinders. I`ll try raising the motor up an inch so the bullet nose is even with the bottom. I`m an inch below that now. As it is now its tough to bring up to plane as the motor bogs with the too big props.
    If you have any ideas that would help me with this prop problem, I would appreciate it. the prop shaft is 3/4" and is half splined, and half smooth with a shearpin hole too. I`m running smoothbore shearpin props. I understand that originally, Merc speedmaster props were used, on the Chrysler race motors.
    I`ve known the Scops most of my life, and Dicky I were buddies, as teenagers on Long Island. It saddens me that he is gone now too.

Rich Messineo

Post Thanks / Like

The 7% overdrive ratio is a real drawback of that lower unit for pleasure use.

I think the lowest pitch props you might find for 3/4 smooth bore would be those intended for some of the older OMC racers from the 1930's, if you have the correct rotation. Ron has some for sale once in a while on eBay. It might be easier to drop the pitch back on one of them to get it to work on your motor.

Chryslers didn't exactly use the same props intended for Super Speedmasters, generally they took advantage of the larger space between the propshaft and exhaust outlet and used larger diameter props than used on the Mercs. Mercs are pretty well limited to 9 5/8" or so, the short Chryslers can swing up to 10 1/4" maybe a little more. The long Chryslers are 2 inches longer, no space restriction there at all.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dick Scop...........

Saw your post about Dickie owning your Desilva. He was one of the people I always looked forward to seeing when we went to the races. I will always remember his Bahama hat and big grin. Great driver, great friend, and great loss.
    By the way...............the Desilva looks great and you are on the right website to get her smokin. Stick with it.........
    Charley Bradley

Allen J. Lang

Smile DeSilva

Rich- You said you knew Dick Scopinich from your early days on Long Island.
    What part of the Island were you from? Were you ever a EORC member? I remember Dickie from our racing days of the 60s. Dick was a great guy and was shocked to hear of his passing.Spent some time visiting his family's marina in Westhampton that he ran. Always talking what he could do to make a better handling A-B alky runabout. I really didn't know Al, but , had met Mario. Only cyber space keeps me in touch with the Long Island gang since moving to MI then to AZ in retirement.
    Ye Olde Desert Geezer

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam, the Chrysler gearcase I have is RH and it the short one. 5 1/8" from center of propshafe to cavplate exhaust housing. I have two props, one a 3 blade that came with the gearcase, and the other a 2 blade. both are 9 5/8" diameter. The 2 blade is a real dog. I keep searching.
    F-12, Your right about Dicky always a smile, and a positive attitude,and I remember that Bahama hat. Actually it was Al, Dicky`s cousin who was the previous. He bought the boat from Wes (I can`t remember his name) who had Ralph him him this boat to the old style plans in 1989 to race on the Antique Circuit, which never panned out. At least that`s what Ralph told me when I called him to inquire about it. The boat is virtually new, and only needed a couple of coats of varnish to look like new.
    I guess the easiest thing for me to do it bolt a fourcylinder powerhead on it, they don`t cost much, to get the power back, but the boat is stern heavy now, as you can see in the picture and with the 15" mid section, I might have a top heavy problem as well.
    Rich

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...waneeRiver.jpg

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Allan Lang, tried to e-mail you but it came back. Do you have a different E-Mail then the one in your profile?

Rich

Allen J. Lang

Thumbs up DeSilva

Hi Rich- Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
    I can be reached using either E mail address:
    Winter address in Scottsdale: alang5@cox.net
    Summer mountain address in summer: culater30_n1@juno.com
    Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al
    P.S. There is an underline between 30_n above.

Thread Information