Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1500xs

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1500xs

I have an xs that has the fuel pump disconnected and an electric one added. I dont know why it was changed. The questions are: Do I just plug the crankcase lines running to it or tie them together? At what pressure can an electric fuel pump run without hurting the floats? Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

We used to run 6lbs of pressure on a souped up Jeep, but that was with a Holley Carb.

I don't think you will hurt the floats but what will happen is you will stuff the carbs full of fuel and it will run out the overflow. I may be wrong here, but all you are gunna do is force fuel under the needle and seat. So, start at 6, then back down in 1# increments until the fuel stops running out of the overflow. If when the motor is underway, you starve for fuel, you will need to turn the pump pressure up. Nowadays, they have rheostats for fuel pumps, so when you back off the throttle, the pump pressure reduces as necessary. Better yet, just find a stock Merc pump and fix the problem the way it was designed to be.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're gonna run an electric, plug the 2 holes in the intake cover, put an electric pump on it set it at 5 and maybe you'll get 6 without flooding over, those little floats don't hold back much. Or just put the pump back on, the remote mounted pump is just fine for what you are going to do, or, just bring it over.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1500xs

Hi Bill
    I picked up the 14' Allison with the 1500xs and it had the pump on it. I dont know if the origional works or not, so I will try it. I'm going to see if I can check the pressure on it as I don't even know what it is. Its weathered as we both thought, but still a cool looking boat. The hull rating is 60 h.p. Were can I find a 60 h.p. cowl for the 1500xs?????????????
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

JUst black out the 1 on the cowl and make it a 500XS, I have the pump parts here to rebuild the fuel pump bring that POS over here so I can see it, look it over..........

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Allison

Is that a 14 or a 15? A 14 is going to be a hnadful with a 150!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it's gonna be a handful, that is a 14.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1500xs

I will know in about a half hour. A 7 A.M. River run. Going to wake up my chase boat now.

Post Thanks / Like

Default how'd it go?

So, any luck? Fill us in...
    I know little about the 1500xs motor. But if the fuel system is like all the other inline 6's, the previous owner may have been having low fuel pressure problems @ idle speeds.
    Does that or did that motor use TWO horseshoe shape fuel pumps?
    I think the lowest HP stock cowls for an inline 6 would be 90hp.
    Later, Jeff.
    Jeff Yungen

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1500xs

Engine ran great. Driver stinks, but will improve. It has some awsome power but I need to handle the chine walk. The front was rocking hard and I couldn't power through it. It was windy and after a couple passes, some other boats came out and brought wakes with them. (The rocking was enough to handle) I have solid motor mounts to install and I'm looking into the dual cable steering. I think that should help. All I can say is, its going to be fun!

Thread Information