Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vintage OPC Racing

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vintage OPC Racing

Do you have a vintage OPC raceboat? Are you interested in running it on a racecourse? Does vintage & historical racing get your interest going? Do the days of the outboard manufactures battling it out, turn after turn, and down the straights, bring the thrill back to you & yours? Good.....there are a bunch of us out there!
    Lets get together!!!
    I'm putting a list together, for a coordinated effort to get the raceboats out on the water. Get your efforts recognized & appreciated!!!
    If you could email your name, boat, and contact information to Vintageopcracing@aol.com

Let's get this done...it's time for some fun!
    Thanks for YOUR interest

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what / where?

Where are they running vintage OPC currently? There is not anything going on down in Texas that I am aware of.

And what constitutes "vintage" in the OPC classes?
    What are the rules for vintage, or how could someone find out more about vintage racing?

Thanks,
    Nate

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Vintage information is available thru the APBA Vintage & Historicial section, in the APBA website.
    An outline of what is a vintage boat would be a pre-capsuled raceboat. Tunnel boat, Vee bottom, Mod VP, hydro, flatbottoms, semi-tunnels, are all vintage raceboats.
    No, there are currently no vintage events in Texas. Lets see if we can change that!
    Email your name, boat, & contact information to Vintageopcracing@aol.com
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that vintage boats must be 25 years old or older (or a restored or reproduction version). Simply not having a capsule does not constitute a vintage hull if it is, say, 15 years old. THere are great vintage events in Florida (Mt.Dora, etc), The Northeast (Buffalo, Clayton, Lake George, New Hampshire, etc, and the midwest. I have attended some and enjoyed them immensely.

There are probably dozens of hulls that qualify, but look to Molinari, Schultz, Switzer, Glastron, Powercat, Checkmate, Norris craft, Kober, Stylecraft, Kitson, Velden, flat and early vee Allisons, and vintage Seebolds, as your hulls of choice.

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

2007 - 25 = 1982 ... lots of stuff out there '82 and older ...

If someone wants my E & T tunnel bad enough ... I could be persuaded to sell it and buy another old boat that I know of

I signed up as an APBA Vintage member last year with intentions of restoring the tunnel in my back yard and taking it to a few meets ... and about the time I got my card last spring the county came by and told me I had to put current registration on everything in my yard, boats and trailers ... race boats & trailer came first (I had a heck of a time explaining to the state why I was registering race boats, they consider them generally exempt), I had to move the E&T to a marina pending getting it and its trailer titled so I can bring them back home and work on them, duh.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 11-26-2007 at 03:31 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

RogerH

Default Lost Post?

Zonker,
    Did my post get dropped or removed for some reason???
    Just wondering.
    Roger Hinsdale - TN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    Zonker,
    Did my post get dropped or removed for some reason???
    Just wondering.
    Roger Hinsdale - TN
    This one?

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH
    Vintage Stuff
    I'm working towards doing this with a couple of boats that I have. I also like the idea of running some of the older APBA class boats/motors that I'm restoring. They aren't necessarily competitive now, or may not exactly meet class rules, but I'd like to have a time/place where we could run these outfits for the pure enjoyment of it.

The C-7 is a DeSilva copy by Wade Terril that Pete Delackner ran in OPC-R and APBA-F class. The Molinari is an older F-1 boat that needs a complete restoration and a motor found/built. Still working on plans for this boat. Also have several APBA class motors 20H/C/D/650x/etc. that need to make some noise! I'm into vintage!
    Roger Hinsdale hinsdale@bellsouth.net Spring City, TN
    423-452-0428

RogerH

Default Missing Post

That's the one. Was there a reason it was removed? Were the pictures too large or something? Not a problem I guess.

Saw a mention of the vintage events at Clayton and Buffalo in NY. Have lots of pictures of the 2006 Clayton and '06 & '07 Buffalo events. I'd have to say that these two events feature the larger boats, but not exclusively. Both are great!

Roger

Post Thanks / Like

Roger, it was never here on BRF, it was on Hydroracer.net and still is

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam,
    Your participation would be welcomed, be it with the E & T, or other boat of your choice. The more ...the merrier.

Rich,
    Thanks for your insight & clarification. Will you help out with participation as well? With your history, it would be a huge help.

John,
    Thank you for your help, advise, & support. As always, much apprciated.

There are more out there. Time to lend your voice & support.

Lets Preserve, Restore, & Participate!

Zonker,
    Vintageopcracing@aol.com

Thread Information