Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Photos past & present

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Depue

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    John:

I've been confused also. The posted copies were from the drivers meeting to show what heat everyone was in. You were in my heat, along with George and Randy. I remember Billy Seebold behind me when I blew over, but I didn't think it was 1972. I have another roster for qualifying from 1969, but it didn't match the results that Ann Strang had written for the Propeller.

I went into the darkroom today to sort out and put my Propellers in order and dig through some of the other stuff to figure it all out. When I look at the qualifying sheets I think....What am I doing here? That's an awesome bunch of drivers from those days.

If you are interested, I could post some more of those qualifying heats. There are more drivers that could win a nationals than were able to qualify.
    Post them, it's interesting reading for everyone. The above list was for 1969 as in 1970 I was defending champ. I did attempt to qualify the same rig in 1971, but I believe I only finished 4th in the heat which didn't make the cut. Konigs improved drstically between 1970 to 1971. Yet Waldman still had it!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1972 Nationals DePue

John:

I have two lists. The partial one I posted was from 1972. Waldman is not on that list because he was killed in Hot Springs earlier that year. When I get back from Corpus I'll start working on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1968 Depue

John:

I have two lists. The partial one I posted was from 1972. Waldman is not on that list because he was killed in Hot Springs earlier that year. When I get back from Corpus I'll start working on it.
    Found these in my scrapbook
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Default DePue 1968

That was the year it was so hot & the water slick. I think it was Saturdays finals when the races were delayed a few times because the ambulance, both primary and standby were hauling people to the hospital. I didn't see the complete list of ARR, but if memory serves ( ) Jim Shoch and I think Jerry Simison went up and bumped together in the air on the front straightaway. Man, there were a lot of people at that event.

Can't send anymore stuff until I can figure out how to make my computer and scanner talk to each other again.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arr

That was the year it was so hot & the water slick. I think it was Saturdays finals when the races were delayed a few times because the ambulance, both primary and standby were hauling people to the hospital. I didn't see the complete list of ARR, but if memory serves ( ) Jim Shoch and I think Jerry Simison went up and bumped together in the air on the front straightaway. Man, there were a lot of people at that event.

Can't send anymore stuff until I can figure out how to make my computer and scanner talk to each other again.
    Yup, I now recall that incident. Jerry and I became good friends after that nationals as it is where I flipped in the first turn in COH prior to running the B. At first, while I was trying to figure out if I could race after seeing propellers over my head, sitting on the bank where the land jutted out, John Woods came over and provided inspiration. He said, just go out with your "B" and drive to win. I did just that. That evening Jerry came by my room at the Holiday Inn and we had a great chat about what had happened to him several years prior in a hydro. That's why he never got back in one. We stayed friends through the Winona nationals and a few years thereafter. You will recall that he quit after the nationals at Winona as he was DQ'ed by the turn judge for chopping someone, can't remember who. He got divorced, remarried and bought Pelican Lake Marine in Pelican Lake, MN. Visited him and his wife, had dinner then drove back to Fargo as I had an early meeting the next day. Have lost contact since. Not even sure if he still has the business.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jerry Simison

I remember that. He thought they were wrong. Hated to see him quit. Maybe somebody can find him. His brother Paul has some excellent photos. He helped me a lot when I was first starting.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pete DeLackner

Sam:

I haven't lived in Alice since 1968. I now live about 150 yards off of Turn 4 at Lake Corpus Christi.

I haven't heard from Pete in years. I was thinking about him when I came across a photo the other day. I'm not sure where Melissa is. He lived a couple of miles from the race course at Marine Creek Lake near Fort Worth. You had to pass by his house on the way there. I thought he might be a good subject for Tomtall. He did stuff with high performance boating. I'm sure Ron knows him well. Long before me because I think he came to Texas from Arizona, or somewhere out west.

L-R Baldy Baldwin, Pete DeLackner

Post Thanks / Like

You are right about Pete being from somewhere else. He originally lived in Connecticut, then CA and AZ before moving to Texas. He once started a club called California Arizona Nevada Outboard Enthusiasts ... CANOE. I think it was an OPC club.

Melissa is very near Alice (or maybe it was Anna ... or both) or so Pete tells me .... seeing your old Alice TX address is what made me ask. I have his phone number if you'd like it. Pete loves to talk boats & boat racing, I'm sure he'd enjoy hearing from you.

Do you have any pictures of Charlie Wicks and his race stuff? Charlie sold Pete a bunch of it some time ago, just before Charlie passed away. Pete talks about him a lot.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 03-18-2005 at 09:56 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Missed Pete When He Moved...

Great stuff Wayne..

Pete was like a good buddy...seemed much older than me, but we are close to the same age...I think he won Havasu in Single Engine class in like 1965...and in 1964 at Modesto he won the 36 Runabout Nationals with a Chrysler...tho they were called West Bends then...

I won "T" Class at the first, and maybe only APBA OPC C.A.N.O.E. race a Bullheda City...

California was big in OPC, but not APBA. Pete was a loyal supporter of APBA...

He started the Mustang Boat Company...Somewhere, I have some adds for Mustang...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking cool pics

It is pretty neat to see those old driver lists. I'll have to ask my dad why he didn't run those races? I recognize some of those names as ones my dad and grandpa talk about.

Thread Information