Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Photos past & present

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you might have taken what I said wrong. What I meant and I am sure others out there understand that there is not a Lone Star Boat Racing Association any more. We had at one time 10 to 12 races a year in Texas during the 1960s to 1970s. I do believe that there are great drivers today and eventually there will be other great drivers. I had years of fun from 1954 and on from participating in boat racing. Any body that knows me knows that I would never do anything negative to hurt boat racing. I invested a lot of years promoting and participating in this sport and I hope that the sport of boat racing will never die. I am very excited about this site and am trying to promote the sport by sharing some of the history that I have witnessed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Didnt mean to offend .Sorry

Wasnt trying to say anything to try and offend anyone. Those were really great pictures and I would love to see more on this site. I was just trying to make the same point as you about what it use to be like and hope that it will continue on in the future. Like Ron says . We have a sport to save . Some are doing it by trying to get back old venues and some by telling about memories and sharing old pictures of times gone by for others to see. Please send more pictures and tell your stories. I would love to read them .

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lone Star Boat Racing Association

I understood what Joe meant, but there are a lot of people out there that didn't know about Lone Star Boat racing Association of the past. When I started racing Bruce Nicholson was about the only one that ventured out of Texas except for the N.O.A. Championships in Alexandria. LSBRA had its own rules, speed records, championsips events and annual convention for an awards banquet and rules changes. Many boats did not have the standard APBA or NOA lettering to designate the region. The letters stood for the various clubs such as Roland Pruett's BT-11 out of Baytown, Curtes Dumesnils PA-10 out of Port Arther, or Dan Waggoner's C-77 out of Corpus Christi. At that time 14 boats were allowed and the fields were always full in nearly every class. In fact there were more runabouts than hydros. I can see where Joe's point could be misunderstood, but I think this site of Ron and Ted's can help bring about more interest and promotion to help other clubs or regions to suffer the same fate as LSBRA. It has certainly led me to the darkroom to start digging up old photos.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Once In a Lifetime picture

This was taken by a photographer of a local newspaper. Grandma was thrown out of the boat, Because the throttle stuck wide open going into a corner. Luckly she wasn't hurt seriously, but the boat continued WIDE OPEN! Did one complete flip landed right side up shut off and gently drifted into shore......AMAZING! This is the story I was told. Dad did I get it right?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Picture...

I understood the post...There have been some great drivers, in small curcuits, that no one ever heard of.....Some, could never afford to travel...kids, jobs,...family...

Like Timmy Seebold told me, "I can't believe that my dad would drive all night, sleep in the car, to race a boat.".....I many respects, THERE NEVER will be racing like there WAS and there may really never be drivers like there were....

But as five, maybe six people said this last weekend...

As Ron say, "We've got a SPORT to save." This site, can be our OWN TV CHANNEL...BRF, along with others can bring boat Racing to unheard of levels....

That "DRIVERLESS" is classic...

Two quickies:

1. Who was G-67?
    2. What kind of boat?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Marge Franck

This boat was a Bay Craft/C Raced by Marge Franck, she is in the women of racing section. It is really fun to look thru the photos of our familys history in Boat racing. It started in 1959 and is still going, hopefully the photos of dad and I are with us (IN) the boat. It's more fun that way! Here is one of the various 67-G's 44 merc

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bay Craft!!!

I thought it was a Bay Craft, but didn't think they got to Georgia...

Cool shots.

Post Thanks / Like

Annie Thurman and myself attempting to propride our brand new A runabouts.
    Last edited by Kyle Lewis 93R; 03-07-2005 at 04:03 PM.
    Kyle Lewis 93R
    20ssH CSH
    B&H Race Boats
    Trafficade Service

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great shot [ driverless boat]

I can see the caption . But it made weight when I started the race . I remember back in the 70s Dick Costa was running a runabout when he got tossed out in a turn . No one saw him go out and he hadnt hooked up his kill switch . The boat ran almost all the way to the next turn before it went over and everyone was frantically looking for Dick . Someone on shore with binocs saw him at the last turn waving and went out and got him . His buddys that were diving into the water later gave him a really good A-- chewing.
    Moral . - Always hook up you kill switch . In out day it was a set of points with a piece of plastic tied to a string.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Not sure

Ron, I'm not sure if you meant the " G " stood for Georgia or not but it is Minnesota Both of those A Runabouts look good! I bet that was a fun race!

Thread Information