Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Photos past & present

Post Thanks / Like

Default That's right...

"G" is Minnesota...

Some days are like that, even in Australia...

Ok, what is Georgia???

"F" is Florida....

"C" is now all of California...which I like...never really liked NorCal as "O"...

Post Thanks / Like

Georgia is split, but most of it is in F with Florida
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Letter Designation

All of Georgia, Florida and Alabama are the letter F in APBA. Can you guys tell us which letters aren't used? hint there are only two

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Great racers.....

Along with todays great racers, we forget that there were some great drivers through the decades. People who worked hard and achieved a lot. Outboard racing started in the 20's and it is still done the same way: technology, experience, money and a lot of work! I hope it never changes... or dies!

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default APBA State letters

Quote Originally Posted by Merc66G
    All of Georgia, Florida and Alabama are the letter F in APBA. Can you guys tell us which letters aren't used? hint there are only two
    "I" & "U"

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default a little loose

PRO National, Winona Minn. 1975
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winona 1975

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    PRO National, Winona Minn. 1975
    Wayne, bet you didn't know who that was? Me, driving Jim Goherty's "C" Yale with Pete Cruzan's modified 3 cylinder 49 c.i. OMC in F". This was during the eliminations, I think I finished 3rd but was disqualified for hitting a buoy. Yes, it was a handful.I actually drove 3 different rigs there attempting to qualify. Pete Hellsten's "A" Konig/Byer was leading for 2 1/2 laps then tank came loose, ran out of fuel. Also ran Trbeor Billiter's "B", Florida built boat copy of a Marchetti and lead from start to finish, but started prematurely.

pops67g

Default State letter designations

The only two letters not used in boat numbers are I and O. U is used for Montana, Utah, Colorado and a couple of others.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Winona 1975

John--you're full I surprises today. I had no idea that was you. I was just looking for boats with a little bounce. I have lots of B&W and color negatives as well as transparencies from the Eastern and Western Divisionals and the Nationals because I missed all but a couple of races that season. I stuffed my D hydro on Memorial Day in Baytown, Tx. I spent the rest of the season on the bank with my cameras.

We wanted to stay competitive so we hauled some of our stuff to the races for Tim Butts to drive. He won 250 hydro nationals with our boat. We told Charlie Bailey our C was faster than his, but he was familiar with his boat and stuck with it. He came out of the turn on the first lap but Bob Rhoades was faster and set a record. Charlie sheared a pin on lap two and couldn't get the prop off. He switched to my boat and led wire to wire matching the record Bob had set the previous heat. He was disqualified for switching boats but was later reinstated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    John--you're full I surprises today. I had no idea that was you. I was just looking for boats with a little bounce. I have lots of B&W and color negatives as well as transparencies from the Eastern and Western Divisionals and the Nationals because I missed all but a couple of races that season. I stuffed my D hydro on Memorial Day in Baytown, Tx. I spent the rest of the season on the bank with my cameras.

We wanted to stay competitive so we hauled some of our stuff to the races for Tim Butts to drive. He won 250 hydro nationals with our boat. We told Charlie Bailey our C was faster than his, but he was familiar with his boat and stuck with it. He came out of the turn on the first lap but Bob Rhoades was faster and set a record. Charlie sheared a pin on lap two and couldn't get the prop off. He switched to my boat and led wire to wire matching the record Bob had set the previous heat. He was disqualified for switching boats but was later reinstated.
    Isn't that Mel Kirts on the left?

Thread Information