Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Photos past & present

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe,

The V-9 boat was Homer Kincaid. He always wore that white jump suit when he drove. He always had us turn the boat around in the water and bring the nose right up to shore so that he could walk across the deck without getting wet. We'd spin him around, and off he'd go.

Dan

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default favorite photos past & present

I came across these while looking for photos of Denny Henderson. The first is in Alexandria. The second, Springfield, Ill.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Ya' know Wayne? That pic from Alex got me thinking........Beautiful shot by the way, but it really is amazing the way we used to charge into corners and blast out like that at local races for an afternoon of glory, maybe a trophy, and $15.00, $10.00 and $5.00 prize money. Alot of the local races payed like that, and often had the nastiest duels like the picture you posted.

BTW:.......How come her knee's are clean and yours are dirty like that??

Team MSR
    Post Thanks / Like

Default COH Photo..

John: Shot of you on the ouside in COH at Depue, bet it was Waldman's spray way out front. I don't remember Gohery having a Yale. I remember him having a Butts. Could that be one the Jersey Super C guys (Ike?) I remember one of them running Walts homemade A at the first Winona Nationals. I deck rode for Kruzon with OMC 3 holer in FRR. He and Fales had a bidding war on who I would ride with. I wish I was still that light.

Wayne: Great shots and stories. Please keep posting.

Michael D-1

Post Thanks / Like

Default 20-15-10 & 5

Money can't buy a seat in either one of those cockpits. That's why we've all done that for the palrty sums out there.

BTW Jeff, if I'd of consulted you first I'd of cropped that picture a little better before I posted it.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Close Quarters in COH at Depue

Quote Originally Posted by jrome
    John, help me identify three boats in picture. I think that I know who J4 is. Thanks for the help.
    J-4 was me. Z-11 was Randy, a good friend as well as his dad & my dad. If in fact the inside boats number is V-9, it was Homer. However, I don't recall him driving at the 69 nationals. I think it is J-9, the late George Andrews, but don't ever remeber him at Depue. And yes Mike Jerry would have been out front as he won in 69, Chuck Mercier was 2nd with a Simon built Konig with 4 expansion chambers, Hering 3rd, me 4th and Jim Schoech(splg) driving for Quincy 5th. 4 out of the top 5 were Loopers.

Post Thanks / Like

Default close quarters in COH at DePue

John:

I been getting a little confused about DePue 1969-1972. I went through some old propellers and some drivers list for qualifying heats. According the the 1969 Propeller, you won COH. The order was

1 John Schubert
    2 Homer Kincaid
    3 Dan Kirts
    4 Jerry Waldman
    5 Rex Hall

You finished 4th in DOH, & 2nd behind Waldman in AOH

According to the 1972 Propeller COH results were as follows:

1 Fred Hauenstein
    2 Billy Seebold
    3 Dan Kirts
    4 Jimmy Aderholdt
    5 Jerry Waldman (who was 71 Champ)

Fred Hauenstein was not on the list so he was either defending champ or Western Division champ.

Take a look at the names and numbers on the first qualifying heat. There is you, George Andrews and Randy Johnson in that same heat. It looks like George more than Homer. Homer drives more upright & the driver looks a little heavier. I say that's the heat the photo was taken. Do you remember a blowover on the back straight, first lap. I think this was the heat. It was the only time I ever blew over in 17 years of racing.

I came out of the turn first and was way down the backstretch when I looked over my left shoulder to see who was chasing me. It was Billy Seebold on the inside. Just when I looked forward again, my Marchetti took off. I had no experience in bailing out, & as it climbed I thought it was too fast to jump. I looked down again & it was still too fast. The third time I looked down, I thought I was way too high to bail out. I was holding on to the steering wheel and throttle , the engine screaming, & the last thing I remember was thinking if I didn't turn loose of the throttle I was going to blow the engine.

I don't remember falling or hitting the water. I guessed I must have feinted from the height. When I came to I was up to my waste in mud, water to my shoulders, and only my neck and head out of the water. They tried pulling me in the safety boat, but I was stuck in the mud. One of the guys had to get in the water and push on me while the other pulled. When I got to the docks they were going to haul me in to check me out. Charles Bradley's dad offered to check me over, as he was a Doctor. The ambulance crew would have none of it until my dad intervened. So we got to go out to run the qualifying heat for BOH.

I think I qualified for B and I had won my heat of D, but the next two days of finals I was unable to move my neck from side to side or look down so we watched from the banks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, do you still live in Alice? Do you ever cross paths with Pete DeLactner? He is living somewhere there around Alice or Melissa.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1969 COH Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    John:

I been getting a little confused about DePue 1969-1972. I went through some old propellers and some drivers list for qualifying heats. According the the 1969 Propeller, you won COH. The order was

1 John Schubert
    2 Homer Kincaid
    3 Dan Kirts
    4 Jerry Waldman
    5 Rex Hall

You finished 4th in DOH, & 2nd behind Waldman in AOH

According to the 1972 Propeller COH results were as follows:

1 Fred Hauenstein
    2 Billy Seebold
    3 Dan Kirts
    4 Jimmy Aderholdt
    5 Jerry Waldman (who was 71 Champ)

Fred Hauenstein was not on the list so he was either defending champ or Western Division champ.

Take a look at the names and numbers on the first qualifying heat. There is you, George Andrews and Randy Johnson in that same heat. It looks like George more than Homer. Homer drives more upright & the driver looks a little heavier. I say that's the heat the photo was taken. Do you remember a blowover on the back straight, first lap. I think this was the heat. It was the only time I ever blew over in 17 years of racing.

I came out of the turn first and was way down the backstretch when I looked over my left shoulder to see who was chasing me. It was Billy Seebold on the inside. Just when I looked forward again, my Marchetti took off. I had no experience in bailing out, & as it climbed I thought it was too fast to jump. I looked down again & it was still too fast. The third time I looked down, I thought I was way too high to bail out. I was holding on to the steering wheel and throttle , the engine screaming, & the last thing I remember was thinking if I didn't turn loose of the throttle I was going to blow the engine.

I don't remember falling or hitting the water. I guessed I must have feinted from the height. When I came to I was up to my waste in mud, water to my shoulders, and only my neck and head out of the water. They tried pulling me in the safety boat, but I was stuck in the mud. One of the guys had to get in the water and push on me while the other pulled. When I got to the docks they were going to haul me in to check me out. Charles Bradley's dad offered to check me over, as he was a Doctor. The ambulance crew would have none of it until my dad intervened. So we got to go out to run the qualifying heat for BOH.

I think I qualified for B and I had won my heat of D, but the next two days of finals I was unable to move my neck from side to side or look down so we watched from the banks.
    Very interesting. Didn't recall how I qualified, as I thought that I had won the divisionals, but now that I think about it I broke a shear pin at the Divisional so had to qualify at Depue. I assume that the lists ou provided were the qualifying heat finishes or just the entries? The other interesting thing is that Fred Hauenstein wasn't liated as a finisher in either heat. Hmmmm!

Post Thanks / Like

Default COH DePue 1969

John:

I've been confused also. The posted copies were from the drivers meeting to show what heat everyone was in. You were in my heat, along with George and Randy. I remember Billy Seebold behind me when I blew over, but I didn't think it was 1972. I have another roster for qualifying from 1969, but it didn't match the results that Ann Strang had written for the Propeller.

I went into the darkroom today to sort out and put my Propellers in order and dig through some of the other stuff to figure it all out. When I look at the qualifying sheets I think....What am I doing here? That's an awesome bunch of drivers from those days.

If you are interested, I could post some more of those qualifying heats. There are more drivers that could win a nationals than were able to qualify.

Thread Information