Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Three Cyclinder Evinrude

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Three Cyclinder Evinrude

I'm going to say this picture is from 1969. While testing for Evinrude at Havasu Springs, Ray Nydahl and I were discussing the new Evinrude three cyclinder. Mr. Leek got quite mad about it, as if I wasn't supposed to know OMC SECRETS, Ray also got mad and actually QUIT OMC over that conversation.

Anyway, when I got home from Havasu Springs, I called Jimmy Jost, Public Relations manager at Evinrude and he had me call Edgar Rose, VP of Engineering at OMC. Within a week a three cyclinder powerhead showed up at my dad's.

Capnzee (Rod Zapf) and my dad adapted it to an Evinrude 60-42 mid section and MY Konig foot...They only tested it one time, at Spring Valley Lake, near Apple Valley, California. The motor had a high speed miss....and Evinrude was making changes on the newer motors...And it was slower than Rod's F and my Konig....Anyway, not sure what happened to this motor, but ran across the picture today...Thought maybe Fast Fred might like it....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-09-2007 at 05:08 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1968 55 Hp

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I'm going to say this picture is from 1969. While testing for Evinrude at Havasu Springs, Ray Nydahl and I were discussing the new Evinrude three cyclinder. Mr. Leek got quite mad about it, as if I wasn't supposed to know OMC SECRETS, Ray also got mad and actually QUIT OMC over that conversation.

Anyway, when I got home from Havasu Springs, I called Jimmy Jost, Public Relations manager at Evinrude and he had me call Edgar Rose, VP of Engineering at OMC. Within a week a three cyclinder powerhead showed up at my dad's.

Capnzee (Rod Zapf) and my dad adapted it to an Evinrude 60-42 mid section and MY Konig foot...They only tested it one time, at Spring Valley Lake, near Apple Valley, California. The motor had a high speed miss....and Evinrude was making changes on the newer motors...And it was slower than Rod's F and my Konig....Anyway, not sure what happened to this motor, but ran across the picture today...Thought maybe Fast Fred might like it....
    Ron, I think the year of your photo was 1967. The "TR" started production in the fall of 1967. The three cylinder eventually became one of the best engines OMC built and my favorite was the 65 HP.
    The 55HP was a real learning curve for OMC. The air silencer drew air from a hole in the lower motor cover. On twin installations on boats with a deep motor well it was a megaphone for "reed" noise. Fishermen down south also discovered it would draw mosquitos and critters into the carbs when running at night.
    Of course it was much lighter than V4's and with thru-propeller exhaust and Henrich propellers it was much faster. The propshaft bearing carrier had an open area that must be installed "UP" for exhaust to flow through. One of the "tricks" at Johnson Service school was to rotate bearing carrier slightly to restrict the exhaust. The carburetor high speed nozzles would pour out fuel and motor would not develope power. Anyone who ever mis-assembled a hydro-electric bearing housing on 3 Cyl. or V4 knows about it.
    I have heard about the story with Ray. It was always a bit of a challenge to keep from discussing motor developments especially back then when it took a couple of years to develope new models. Quite an education is all I will say.

Post Thanks / Like

Inquiring minds want to know..... and maybe Paul Christner can chime in if it's ok....

Was Quincy racing contracted to do some of the intial development for OMC on the first looper? I remember the first one I ever saw, painted dark green, we mounted it on a 15' Caravelle tri hul that was painted a beige color...The thing ran great and only went through 10 gallons of fuel a day. I think top speed with a stainless prop was about 40.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

, i gots one, in stock dress, 15", the one i got is a OMC Triumph 55hp, stock, stock, never been messed with.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frist 3 Cyl. OMC

In answer to SKOONTZ question about Quincy Welding having anything to do with the first 3 cylinder OMC. I had a call from Paul Christner this morning - just our usual BS. I asked him about the 3 cylinder OMC and he told me he did not have anything to do with it. But yes, his dad, O.F. did do a lot of R&D work for OMC that was pretty much undercover as they were actually a Mercury dealer.

At this time period I worked for Churchill Trucklines here in Quincy. Churchill hauled a lot of freight for OMC. There was a pattern company here in Quincy called Central Pattern. They also did a lot of work for OMC as well as Quincy Welding.

The reason I bring this up is that I remember delivering many packages from OMC to both Quincy Welding and Central Pattern. A friend of mine worked at Central Pattern and I remember asking him what they were making for OMC. At that time he told me they were working up a pattern for a 3 cylinder motor. It was not long after I delivered a box to QUincy Welding. Being nosy, I asked the receiving clerk, Mark, what they were getting from OMC. He said he didn't know but he said he would open it and we could see. Needless to say there was a raw 3 cylinder OMC block in there.

Most everyone who has been around racing knows about Quincy Welding and the engines O.F. Christner designed and built. Not everyone knows about all the R&D work he did in the back room for both Mercury and OMC. There was also an off-limits area at the north end of the shop. To get to it, you had to lower a set of steps. Not just everyone had access to this area. I was lucky enough to get to see this area a couple of times. You would not have believed all the different motors that were up there. Konigs, PR Johnsons, Crescents, Anzanis, and Mercuries that I had never seen before.

For those of us who grew up in the 50's and 60's, it truly was a wonderful time to be around boat racing. I grew up just two blocks from the Quincy Welding shop and got to know most of the wonderful people who worked there. I consider it an honor to have known O.F. Chrsitner.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 3 banger john rude

They all came with ignition points (55 h.P.)

Post Thanks / Like

3 bangers didn't get cdi till 72'

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default # cylinders

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gohr View Post
    3 bangers didn't get cdi till 72'
    .................................................. .................................................. .....................................
    They had cd ignition in the first 55 horse , but, I think the first WITHOUT points was the 1972 65 horse . it was ,(the 1972 ) i believe, same ignition as my 1975 75 horse
    Evinrude hustler.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking 55hp Johnrude's

Bill Is Right The First Ones Had Whats Called Battery Cd, And The Point Gap Was .010 Or Seven Clicks From Closed...and When On Set Would Get Would Loose Its Gap It Would Drive Al Lot Of People Nuts Tring To Figure Out Why It Had Spark On Two Or One Cyl ...first Ones: Had A Round Rubbler Dish In The System, The Slitest Split And It Would Loose Facumn And Would'd Have 12v This Too Would Drive People Nut Too.:d:d

Thread Information