Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: First Three Cyclinder Evinrude

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Larry Davis of Hinesville, Georgia held the NOA record in the 40-70 V class with a speed just over 86 mph. He was running a 13' Critchfield with 49 cu in three cylinder OMC. He was on BRF at one time.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting stuff fella's....Enjoy reading about this stuff. I just retired a 1972 Evinrude 65hp " Triumph". everything still works. She stayed in Lake Minocqua. Huber bay. The motor endured 2 boats, lots of skiing, fishing, stumps, etc.. My Uncle had it since new. He died, I got it in 1996. Never been apart except for the electric shift deal in Lower unit to that point. 2002 rod knock...ended up getting a New used crank, updated cage bearings... .rehoned-reringed it. Got 9 more years out of it. I had the power head completely apart. had the flywheel off. No points there. Never put points in it. The power pack failed one year. I used the serial and model# to order. He was surprised it had no points, he said," Oh its got CDI...maybe its not as old as I thought" or something....He mentioned points on some earlier models. I remember being sold the wrong set of points on a 1968ish 20 Merc. I thought i was losing my mind!!!! I finally cleaned and reinstalled the old ones and it ran fine! DoH!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 194265 View Post
    I believe that all 1968-1972 55HP, 60HP and the 1972 65 HP had CDI with points, so did the 1968-1972 85 HP v-4's. The 1967-68, 1971-72 100HP, 1969-70 115 HP and the 1971-72 125 HP had CDI without points. The 1967 100 HP had a belt driven Dist., the rest where under the flywheel. In 1973 the three cylinder, all v-4 and the snowmobiles went to the new Mag Flash CDI, the only outboard that used the Mag flash CDI was the new 50 HP twin. This is the way that my 66 year old mind recalls it, but then again I have trouble with birthdays so who knows.

49ci OMC, Alum flat sabine river killer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popa Sam View Post
    Larry Davis of Hinesville, Georgia held the NOA record in the 40-70 V class with a speed just over 86 mph. He was running a 13' Critchfield with 49 cu in three cylinder OMC. He was on BRF at one time.
    i know this thread has got off topic does anyone know how to contact larry davis is he still with us i want to know more about this run rpm prop gear ratio i do not see any info on the aof site and info found on the internet
    All boat racers lie, accept me and you, but I am starting to question you.

Post Thanks / Like

back in the day,i think everyone was about 10 to 15 mph faster than the 500 lb. gps we run today..
    out front again

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I'm going to say this picture is from 1969. While testing for Evinrude at Havasu Springs, Ray Nydahl and I were discussing the new Evinrude three cyclinder. Mr. Leek got quite mad about it, as if I wasn't supposed to know OMC SECRETS, Ray also got mad and actually QUIT OMC over that conversation.

Anyway, when I got home from Havasu Springs, I called Jimmy Jost, Public Relations manager at Evinrude and he had me call Edgar Rose, VP of Engineering at OMC. Within a week a three cyclinder powerhead showed up at my dad's.

Capnzee (Rod Zapf) and my dad adapted it to an Evinrude 60-42 mid section and MY Konig foot...They only tested it one time, at Spring Valley Lake, near Apple Valley, California. The motor had a high speed miss....and Evinrude was making changes on the newer motors...And it was slower than Rod's F and my Konig....Anyway, not sure what happened to this motor, but ran across the picture today...Thought maybe Fast Fred might like it....
    Sorry Ron but Si Metcaf was VP in ;69. Edgar wasn't part of the management team, he was just Strangs buddy. Not much good for anything else. I worked for Edgar in '69 developing a vicosity independent carb.

Thread Information