Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Three Cyclinder Evinrude

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 3-Cyl Ignition

Three types of CD Ignition: Battery CD, Magneto CD, CD-3.

"Battery CD" was used on early 55-60hp. They have one coil on the amplifier bracket and spark plugs leads coming from under flywheel.

"Mag CD" 1972-77 had three coils, aluminum power pack with cover.

CD-3 1978 and later had three coils, epoxy coated power pack.

Lot's of 55-60's still running but they just don't perform like newer models. Before you "dink" with them you need someone familiar with the Hydro-Electric shift system. Too much information, sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking 3 Cyl Omc

Hay Mic How Many Gray Hairs Do You Have???,,,the Young Kids Dont Get To See The Old Stuff, For Most Big Dealers Dont Want To Work On The "old Stuff" ...there Idea Is 10 Years And Newer..:d:d
    Being Retired Here In Utah..back Here In The Hills That All There Is Is The "old Stuff"...i Do It Part Time At A Atv Shop In A Small Town , (heber City)...it Payes For My E-bay Stuff...now Thats Its Snowing, I Pay With My (ebay Old Stuff)

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 3 Cylinder OMC

I believe that all 1968-1972 55HP, 60HP and the 1972 65 HP had CDI with points, so did the 1968-1972 85 HP v-4's. The 1967-68, 1971-72 100HP, 1969-70 115 HP and the 1971-72 125 HP had CDI without points. The 1967 100 HP had a belt driven Dist., the rest where under the flywheel. In 1973 the three cylinder, all v-4 and the snowmobiles went to the new Mag Flash CDI, the only outboard that used the Mag flash CDI was the new 50 HP twin. This is the way that my 66 year old mind recalls it, but then again I have trouble with birthdays so who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

Well 194, you need to read Mike's post it is correct.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 3 Cylinder OMC

Please understand that I did read Mike's comments, I read it several times. I was only stating what I remembered from when I worked at Evinrude (1968-late 1973). I only recall the 1972 50HP twin with Mag Flash ign. and it also had electric shift. Since you say that Mike is right and he most likely is, you will have no argument with me, Just PLEASE don't question my reading skills.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gray Hair

Quote Originally Posted by mercmack View Post
    Hay Mic How Many Gray Hairs Do You Have???,,,the Young Kids Dont Get To See The Old Stuff, For Most Big Dealers Dont Want To Work On The "old Stuff" ...there Idea Is 10 Years And Newer..:d:d
    Being Retired Here In Utah..back Here In The Hills That All There Is Is The "old Stuff"...i Do It Part Time At A Atv Shop In A Small Town , (heber City)...it Payes For My E-bay Stuff...now Thats Its Snowing, I Pay With My (ebay Old Stuff)
    Mercmack: Anyone who lived in OMC Battery CD times must be growing gray. Young tech's trying to make a living today should avoid the old iron. Mike

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Must Be Winter

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gohr View Post
    Well 194, you need to read Mike's post it is correct.
    Bill: It must be cold most everywhere to generate this much discussion about 40 year old outboards. Mike

Post Thanks / Like

People have definately run out of things to talk about..................

Post Thanks / Like

Default OMC triple

That engine was one of the all time greatest 2 stroke outboards. One of my faves. Not specifically talking about racing engines, but yes they found their way into racing.

Years back, the 50 ci. triple was allowed to race in the Yukon 800 up here in Alaska, but it was banned eventually as the boats were getting too fast. They changed rules to outlaw the OMC, and favor the new Yamaha 50 which is about 45.3 or so. Even so, the boats now are running close to 80 mph under certain ideal conditions, hate to think what they could do with an OMC now!

I think the highly successful Yamaha triples that have been on the market for many years now were reverse engineered by our Japanese friends, from....... guess what?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Diff.???

What's the diff. in omc 3s, besides ign. and so forth, in other words what do mod. racers look for.??

RichardKCMo

Thread Information