Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
It is quite possible. Some people have remarkable memories and others can't remember what they had for breakfast. Most of us fall somewhere in between, I have no clue where those guys fit in.

So you think there may have been as few as 50 or 55 Wings total?

I am not certain the number of wooden Wings is accurate

Something to add about the Switzers, Bobby in particular. He could sell an eskimo ice cubes. A conversation he was having with someone about one of his boats when asked about the engine on the back....

Oh sure this engine is 140HP and you really don't need any more than that. It used Holley-Webber carburetors and is very efficient. H/W carbs were sold for desert applications on VW motors, and not for 140HP Mercs. I remember that as if it were yesterday, Bobby was smooth as smooth could be. He was usually stretching his stats ( nothing personal there, it is who he is) and always the Switzer salesman. David was the quiet, reserved kind of guy who is sharp as a tack. Russ Hill reminds me very much of David, not in appearance, David was a small guy and Russ could be a retired pro basketball player.

Taking an educated guess, knowing the Switzers, I'm betting the boat count
is closer to what Rick has posted.
Good story..... Got to do what it takes to sell product......yup this baby will do 160 MPH no problem with a VW motor...

I agree with Rich from little I can piece together there appears to be 5~6 wood Switzer wings made. That is the rough number the Switzers had said as well. I keep hoping one might have survived....but I don't think that is the case. Heard one rumor on was sitting in a museum not on display back east....but that is a reach.

A few more 20's seem to have survied than 18's. I think paritally that was due to the fact they were raced hard, wrecked, soon became out dated and Mercury is reported to have destroyed some in their fleet. One was the Miss Skyway.

In the real world of things it doesn't really matter....fun to speculate. I backed in to trying to figure out what might still be out there. There are still a few more to be found I'm sure.