Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: ?? About Wings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powercat View Post
    Like this one?
    Thanks for the picture. That color combo doesn't look right. It's tough to think Mercury made them that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Connolly View Post
    Thanks for the picture. That color combo doesn't look right. It's tough to think Mercury made them that way.
    They didn't........ Check Willabee's post. They came in Black...or you could order another color....and get Black.

One guy paints his center sections and lowers and it becomes an urban legend. What a waste of bandwidth.
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    They didn't........ Check Willabee's post. They came in Black...or you could order another color....and get Black.

One guy paints his center sections and lowers and it becomes an urban legend. What a waste of bandwidth.

Agreed

Ted did and said a lot of things that served Ted more then posterity
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Switzer Craft in Power Boat Magazine article August 1967, to be at Havasu Race.

Name:  Switzer Craft 1967.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  202.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 54533
    Miss Diablo is once again back on the water !!

Post Thanks / Like

I just read this thread for the first time. It's such a shame to see a once beautiful boat with weeds and brush growing through the hull.

The first "wing" I ever saw was a "woodie") belonging to a man named Ray Block. No not the band leader! Of course it was painted black!

We (Quincy Welding) ported, balanced and piped his engines. They sounded great and his boat was one of the fastest around the Tri- states (IL, MO & IA) but I don't remember the racing number.

Ray had to give up racing due to cancer. He offered to let me drive it for him. I don't know if he was serious or not, but I was smart enough to turn him down. I knew that was "Out of my league."

Ray told me his boat was the "plug" for the first fiberglass Switzer.

Does anyone remember Ray or his boat number??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    I just read this thread for the first time. It's such a shame to see a once beautiful boat with weeds and brush growing through the hull.

The first "wing" I ever saw was a "woodie") belonging to a man named Ray Block. No not the band leader! Of course it was painted black!

We (Quincy Welding) ported, balanced and piped his engines. They sounded great and his boat was one of the fastest around the Tri- states (IL, MO & IA) but I don't remember the racing number.

Ray had to give up racing due to cancer. He offered to let me drive it for him. I don't know if he was serious or not, but I was smart enough to turn him down. I knew that was "Out of my league."

Never seen a picture of a black wood wing. All the ones surfacing on film or pictures are mostly white. Like the one pictured.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rick for your response. Over the past 40-50 years I've forgotten a few things, but I'm 99.44% sure Ray's boat was black. The thread is very interesting. Wish I had checked it out long ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ray Block .....

....The first "wing" I ever saw was a "woodie") belonging to a man named Ray Block. No not the band leader! Of course it was painted black!

Were the engines 6 piper's? Was Ray a good friend of Earl Welch? Earl drove a gold/white Wing with 6 piper's. Thought his engine work was also done at Quincy? ..... #T-111 I think for Earl's Wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rick for your response. Over the past 40-50 years I've forgotten a few things, but I'm 99.44% sure Ray's boat was black. The thread is very interesting. Wish I had checked it out long ago.
    This is the one that I believe was the plug for the fiberglass wings. This picture was taken late in it's racing career and is a lot darker than most.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information