Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Modern Outboard 1971 Havasu Classic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Modern Outboard 1971 Havasu Classic

I think there may have only been one issue of this magazine, but I read it 400 times. There maybe be some copy right somewhere, but seems if A.S. (Bill) Ames was around or is around, he might like to see this great article on BRF.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have that issue Ron. & that's the only one I have. So maybe there's only two left.....unless we hear otherwise from other boat racing pack rats. I never could figure out where to stash it. It could get lost mixed with other Powerboat's and it doesn't go with Propellers. I think I have it with quarterly published Hot Boats.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Magazine

Add One More To The Still Around List.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Default They Only Printed 11 Copies....

Not calling Wayne or you liars...but, it is amazing that a magazine that only had one issue....and was a limited edition for sure...that there'd be three copies here on BRF...and I got mine from Dick Sherrer...I never got one mailed to me....But I will call the three of us NUTS as this magazine is what, thirty 37 years old....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aw hell.....

.......I thought to myself as I pushed aside some APBA rule books that had slid off the stack, then I spotted an orange corner. It was too much to hope for, but sure enough......it was the copy I had wasted already two hours looking for.

I felt you called us out Ronand I went to go fetch my copy as proof. I went to the loft above the carport and went through several boxes of boat racing magazines in a hurry. Not there. So I came back down and looked through some real old ones I had sorted out. That was where I had most of the Hot Boats. Not there. So I went into the darkroom where I had some of the international racing stuff. Not there. Then I went back up to the loft and went through the boxes one magazine at a time. No luck. Then I looked in a box that had a couple of photo mags on the top. When I moved them, I discovered the rest of the box was boat racing. Ahhh....so that's where it is. Nope! Rats! So I went back down to the racing room for the last time and looked one more time in the Hot Boats. Then I was thinking to myself "Aw hell....I'm going to have to fess up to Ron that I can't find mine" when I decided to look under the rulebooks. I had only sorted those magazines out a couple of months ago and I had remembered seeing it. Since it was one of a kind, I didn't put it with the others as I had thought and had instead puit it on the next shelf up with the rulebooks.

This issue was mailed to me at the Alice Specialty Co. post office box. I never got my mail there. I was in college at the time, but I still used the Sandia address. My Dad got most of his mail at the ASCO address, but it was not addressed to him. So I don't know how my name was tied to that address from someone I didn't know. But one fact is for certain and is proven once again. If you are looking for in depth history of boat racing, for instance the article "Michigan's Tornado Buster's" by Fred Scwhartz and photos by Joe Scwartz ........Boat Racing Facts is the place to come.

ADD: We might be nuts Ron, but Russ still has socks older than that issue.
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 01-17-2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: additional comments

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Wasn't Calling You Out...

I am amazed...that there is at least three of these magazine..

Hey, would you post that Michigan Marathon? Seems I put some stuff away yesterday, and forgot I was going to post that...

My brother's socks?? I thought it was his underwear!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Found My Modern Outboard Magazine...

Michigan Marathons....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just kidding Ron......

.........I used that as example to call attention to the fact that BRF members are liable to have info not found anywhere else, nor able to even be dredged up if someone tried. I was wondering a few months back why I had only one copy if they had my address on a computer. It was you that let us know that only one issue had been published. Sure enough....when I found my copy this morning I opened it up and it was Volume I, Issue I. But one of the side effects is like what Joe told me after I posted...."When you get called out you usually find some good stuff" I said "Yeah...I found a couple of FINISH LINES!" So after you are done scanning the ones you have Ron, I will do these if you don't have them. & BTW you may want to play around with some settings on your scanner. I forget the terms the printers use, but when you copy a copy you can get the criss cross lines on the final result. Look at your copy of the cover VS mine to see what I'm talking about. Please don't take this the wrong way because it's fantastic that you are now scanning, but you should be able to correct that. I think it makes for longer downloading times with the crosshatch.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Havasu 1970

Havasu 1970, I came around the first lap about 4th. Most OMC twins were running about 92 mph. My Jones, with 1:1 gearcases and Record two blade wheels was running 108 full load (About 70 gallons of gas, as I recall).

There were about 120 boats, and though the race was scheduled for four hours each day, I planned to win, like I had in 1967.

AS I headed down the front straightaway, I looked back to see where the OMC guys were and they were WAY behind me, and Mercury guys didn't bother me, as those inline sixes usually gave trouble to one of both engines...at mpit stops...Reeds or starters...

So, as I come around about 4th.....I say to myself...120 boats just left here a half lap ago, I'll bet it is rough as ****!!!! About that time I see Joe Fielder's nose go up, then, down BIG TIME.....He nosed that mother in hard...and as I passed near him, his boat, motors (Pieces of glass and plywood were flaoting) but he was still under water...I kept looking over my shoulder slowing more and more...and he didn't come up...Finally, I see him float, just infront of Fred Hauenstein's twin McDonald Hydro.. Fred probably never saw the accident, and all of a sudden a guy floats in front of him...I assume Freddy saw him, but I've asked..

Joe went right down Freddy's tunnel...his big twin hydro had each motor on a sponson....I don't think Freddy boat touched Joe... Flares and Red flags came out and I returned to my pits....

I got out of my boat...and Roger Squire got this picture of me....I was sure Joe fielder was dead....because I was running about 100 MPH and he was pulling away when he stuffed...105 to ZERO in 20 feet...

I didn't win..I blew or lost four gearcases....but when I was running NOBODY passed me except the first lap....I loved that 20 Foot Ron Jones tunnel...but the next year, OMC ran singles only....I never really got over going to singles...I hated the CONCEPT THEN, and I do today......

Wayne and Sam...is this scanned any better?

Post Thanks / Like

Man.......you're a pro now Ron. I can look back to just two years ago and I couldn't even do what you did at the beginning of this thread. I don't know how many have mentioned this to you Ron, but among the guys I know there are a number that have told Joe and myself that they never even knew how to turn on a computer until someone pulled them in front of a monitor with some BRF stories and photos.

Back to Havasu...That's a good pic of you. I like singles, but I forgot what you had said about the duals that you liked so much on another thread other than it seemed to really perk the crowd up. I never raced any duals but my Dad had a Thompson with twin Evinrude 75's and when they were wide open you could adjust the throttles slightly until there was a constant droning. Sounded like the B&W movies of inside a WWII bomber making a run. Did you try to make adjustments like that underway? Or did you have to do something like that under racing conditions for torque reasons with the duals?

Thread Information