Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: ?? About Wings.

Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty sure the numbers from the Switzers are accurate
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Video with Wing- Parker 1975 Pre-race testing

Dear Members- In the video Parker 1975 Pre-race Testing,there is some footage of Bobby Massey's # 140 dual Mercury Wing up & running plus in the pits. We at GoSee.TV/boatracing are currently in production of videos of Havasu 1969-'70;'71 where you will see lots of wings, including De Silvas hauling the mail! We need your help if anyone out there has any audio of stackers on VHS- Beta, etc. to help us with authentic sound for videos. Thanks Mark Benson- Producer E-mail mrbenson55@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have not had any luck finding it....but the 1967 Wide World of Sports coverage of Salton Sea Races used Jan Schoonover's red Mercury wing with stackers for background racing noise/music. It was last seen on TV sometime in the 90's. This same wing later became one of Bob Massey's 140 wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I am pretty sure the numbers from the Switzers are accurate

I respecfully disagree with the 18 footer count. I don't have a hard number but feel the count of 40 built is off. The two I have both built in 1966 are S/N 13 and 16.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think there is more or less 18's.

Post Thanks / Like

Less....

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you think the Swtizer brothers don't know how many boats they made?

Post Thanks / Like

When I talked to Bob he indicated he wasn't totally sure of the exact count. I think Bob was roughly/figuratively quoted some place and it became gospel. Remember as a small business owner your trying to crank stuff out the door....let a lone remember what you built 40 + years ago. I have a small fiberglass shop and blow stuff out of molds all day long. A lot of stuff I have a rough idea about, but unless I kept records I wouldn't know for sure.

Anyway I just think it was less than 40. I could be wrong just telling you what I think. Just like rear ends everybody has one and a opinion.....

Post Thanks / Like

It is quite possible. Some people have remarkable memories and others can't remember what they had for breakfast. Most of us fall somewhere in between, I have no clue where those guys fit in.

So you think there may have been as few as 50 or 55 Wings total?

I am not certain the number of wooden Wings is accurate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    It is quite possible. Some people have remarkable memories and others can't remember what they had for breakfast. Most of us fall somewhere in between, I have no clue where those guys fit in.

So you think there may have been as few as 50 or 55 Wings total?

I am not certain the number of wooden Wings is accurate
    Based only on pictures that I have seen I estimate the number of Wood wings at 5 (I may be forgetting one). 1. The original 2. Miss Bonadettes, 3. the ugly "V" wing, 4. Miss Skyway, 5. the "Gulfwind Marine" hull which I believe is the boat "built especially for Carl K." referred to by Dave Switzer in Ron Poli's article...and easily the most attractive looking version. That final hull was destroyed (per Dave Craig when we spoke last year at the Old Timer's reunion) when Carl ordered Dave to take it up to max speed at the Lake and turn it as hard and fast as he could resulting in a demolishing barrel roll. The purpose of this, apparently, was to see if the wing design could turn anywhere near as well as the brand new tunnel hulls coming over from Europe.

In addition I personally saw two more "mystery" wooden wings..... 1. The "Miss Subway" owned by a guy out of Chicago who apparently had a bone to pick with the Switzer brothers and made an uncompetitive copy painted red with gold tinted canopies..and 2. An all white wooden wing with no cowlings forward of the engines (completely flat deck) and a cockpit in the center. It was reported to be the "Miss Skyway" with extensive modifications . Odell Lewis drove this boat(The Miss Skyway was not at the race) at the '66 Orange Bowl Regatta for only a few laps before Hank Bowman's death. The race was postponed a day and Carl pulled all of the Mercury Factory entries out of the race in respect for Hank. I never saw that white hull again nor did the "Skyway" ever race again to my knowledge. I will bring this topic up with Dave and Odell at the O.F.F. meeting in October and try to figure it out for once and for all. Perhaps Steve Sirois and Richie Powers can help as they will be there as well.
    Bottom line I think there were 5 Switzers and one "Subway" copy.

As far as the glass 18's. I went to Fond Du Lac and Oshkosh in the mid 60's and saw the ware house. There were about a dozen 18's inside...... If you look at all of the 18's that actually raced, I would have to say that Rick Connolly is probably correct..... 40 18' wings seems to be a very high number especially given how few of them are still around versus the 20 footer which was , in fact, less common at the races. My revised guess is there were probably 45 wings made in total. 5 Wood, 20 18's and 20 20' hulls....(approximately)

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Thread Information