Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Adair...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Red Adair...

They made a movie of Red's life, it was called Hell Flyer with John Wayne playing Red Adair. He was always a friend to Texas Boat Racing...

I first read about Red Adair in Argosy Magazine...then first met him when his Madella lost steering at the 1967 Parker 9 hour and ran ashore...and ran through DeSilva parked on the trailer. That was the beginning a long family friendship...

The tunnel boat a DeSilva Sled is the boat Red's Mandella ran through!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 08-29-2021 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slick Johnson...

Slick invented the "Jaws of Life" used in many car wrecks today. he got the idea from Mercury's power trim. OMC always hired Slick to put on SHRIMP BOILS at the races...they were always excellent...

He later raced NASCAR Busch cars and was killed in a NASCAR Busch race....

This is Slick in 1968 at the Galveston 250....
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 07-09-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Red Adair

We raced with Red in Beaumont during the annual Neches River Festival. There was a split card--Alky outboards and flatbottom inboards. My dad bought an SK from Red and one of his hands, Richard Hatteburg brought it down to show us how to operate it. South Texas is one of the trickiest areas in the world for drilling. That was Richard's area. He would call our company whenever they came down for a blowout to provide trucks , mud, pumps etc. Whenever we heard of a blowout, told me to call him. One day a well blew out on the Southern part of the King Ranch and I called Richard. He was fighting a fire in Indonesia so they said they would patch me in to someone else. It was Red. He was in a boat in the middle of Clear Lake near Houston. When I first saw Richard in a race boat I said "I thought you just fought blowouts." He said "When you work for Red you do whatever he tells you to do." This is how two old boatracers made their living.

bill boyes

I met Red at a San Diego Mission Bay race when my Dad was a Referee. He was really a down to earth type nice guy.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Red Adair

My only contact with Mr. Adair was in Memphis in 76 or 77. We were there for a race put on by Armie Haines in ehat I believe was a converted gravel pit. The night before the race, most of the owners, drivers, and crew were in a restaurant having a big steak and seafood. Mr Adair came in and picked up the tab for the whole restaurant. He said since he wasn't racing this time, it was the least he could do. I'm glad I had a chance to thank him.
    John Engle

Post Thanks / Like

Red was one Hell of a man, he actually GAVE me my very first boat when I was about 12-13 years old. It was about an 8ft Jet boat of all things. (I have pics at home I'll post later) It used to belong to his grandson, but Red bought him a little 14' Boston Whaler to replace it. They kept it at one of Red's houses on Clear Lake. Red wouldn't let him take it out by himself cause of his age (about 8-9 I think) So I would go over all the time & take him out in it after school. Got many memories of that man when I was growing up on Clear Lake. What a great giving, caring man. (& Yes, he knew me as WharfRat, thats what they all called me back then)

Post Thanks / Like

the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default That is SO COOL, WarfRat

Thanks for posting and sharing...

My dad was the inspector for the Galveston 250 and the outboards were one weekend and the inboards were the next. Red heard my dad and mom were staying in a hotel all week...Red just told my dad and mom to "COME ONE OVER AND STAY THE WEEK." My dad knew Red's offer was from the heart...My Dad and mom really enjoyed their stay...

When they left, Red told them they were welcome anytime....

At Parker, 1967, Red had just put some oil well fire out in Arabia.....and they had done that story in Argosy....Red's team showed up with Red leading the "TEAM" in a new RED Cadillac El Dorado (Front wheel drive...way cool then...Then a semi with two Mandellas on the flat bed of the semi, followed by another El Dorado...)

I'm standing there with my mouth open as they go by...my four fraternity brothers who are with me....almost faint as they go by....I'm an OUTBOARD Racer going to race against THAT...TEAM?????

We had broken down early and we were hooking our boat onto the car and Ted May was under the trailer hooking up the lights, when Red's boat steering failed and his boat ran a shore and "T Boned" my De Silva.....not a lot of damage...but Ted comes out from under the car and trailer cussing a blue streak, that only Ted may could do.....He wanted to know Who the hell was trying to back over him.....Then he sees this Mandella on top our boat.....he said he thought he was going into "SHOCK"...but Ted always over acted...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 02-27-2005 at 08:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

pic of Red I took in 76 at Pier 7 in Clear Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Galveston hmmmmm?

Thread Information