Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Adair...

Post Thanks / Like

another "shot" of Red
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Galveston Hmmmmmm.

So--Wharfrat you were at the Conroe race when one of the drivers (don't remember who) got his foot cut off. It was barely hanging on. I was next to Red Adair at the launching ramps and all the racers and pit crews linked together on each side of the ramp to keep spectators away.

You were also at the Galveston race when they ran the OMC Rotary engines. Unfortunately the editor of Motorsport has all my b&w negatives from those days.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I was at the Conroe race, I was pitting for Rick Clawson (think thats the right last name) & I remember that accident

I was supposed to go to the Galveston race but missed my ride

But at least they brought me back that patch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat News 1971

Red Adair...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Scott:
    I remember going to a marathon race over in the Houston area
    somewhere, we had a couple of Power Cats entered, but the Red
    Adair team was running the inboard class and they had August "Hands"
    Hartcoff as mechanic and engine builder. Is that the same
    time period you are talking about?
    Danny Leger

Quote Originally Posted by WharfRat
    Yes I was at the Conroe race, I was pitting for Rick Clawson (think thats the right last name) & I remember that accident

I was supposed to go to the Galveston race but missed my ride

But at least they brought me back that patch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Danny:

It was around the early '70's & beyond, can't say I remember the mechanic, but that doesn't mean I didn't meet him. It seemed the races were a lot more chaotic when the inboard guys ran than when it was just the outboards. Most of the races I went to were all outboard & I was either working rescue & recovery or pitting for someone. I do remember Red selling his last inboard race boat at the boat ramp on Clear Lake, the guy drove it & paid Red in cash. Most cash I'd ever seen at the time

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Race Conroe

The Guy That Got His Leg Cut Off Was From Houston Bruce Lowery He Has Been In Austin For Years And The Guy Who Ran Over Him Was Jim Franks From Waco The Year 73 Or 74 Franks Hooked In A Turn An Hit Bruce So The Story Goes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Red Adair's boat--Lost steering

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    They made a movie of Red's life, it was called Hell Flyer with John Wayne playing Red Adair. He was always a friend to Texas Boat Racing...

I first read about Red Adair in Argosy Magazine...then first met him when his Madella lost steering at the 1967 Parker 9 hour and ran ashore...and ran through my parked boats. That was the beginning a long family friendship...
    I thought it was Red's son driving the boat,anyway it headed for the pits at about a 45 deg. angle. The driver was standing up and shouting to people to get out of his way,and we did ! Our scorer [a lady that worked for Doc Jones] was sitting on top of one of our pickups. The pickup had a trailer hooked up ready to retrieve a boat when needed. Red's boat ran into the trailer, bounced off and ran over our port. gen. set and came to a stop up against another boat. Luckily the lady wasn't hurt. To get the boat on their trailer we used manpower. We called everybody over,must have been 25 or more guys circling the boat and we picked it up and drove the trailer under. Wow! I think back now and it seems impossible. Pick up an 18-20 ft. flatbottom with a huge V-8 ? If you get enough PUMPED UP boat racers you can do anything!

Bruce Summers
    V-71
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Richard Hatteburg had told me of doing that in a boat, but I don't remember the race. Richard fought fires with Red and drove one of his boats. I'm thinking it may have been Richard behind the wheel. Maybe Joe Rome could call up Richard and get his version of events.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Richard was driving

wayne, Richard was driving the boat. he told me he just got to feeling save to come back to parker. He hit some big shots car or trailer.Not any more. joe

Thread Information