Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still time to fix it!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Still time to fix it!

I was just taking a look at the 2008 tentative schedule at the apba website and get this, I see the Trenton MI race, a long standing 45/120 race and an apr race up north (Michigan) are on the same weekend. What gives? Didn't the same thing happen last year when a champ/120 race and an apr race were on the same weekend? I was told at Kankakee that would not happen again. As a sst45 racer who has a goal of going 120 one day, the people in charge of the big picture and represent the sport are sure making it difficult.
    The 120 motor issue, I can see both sides... but this scheduling deal, 120 races on the same weekend (in the same state!) is wrong. The city of Trenton has supported tunnel boat racing in a major way for years. There reward? They get dumped on by getting a half field of some of the most exciting racing machines on the planet. The race fans up north for the APR race get the same shaft and some APR racers going up there are going to be asked to drive 5 plus hours past a long standing existing race to get there. Lets not forget Champoat hasn't released their schedule. (not sure if the champ2 schedule will include Trenton)
    I don't have the answers, going on my 3rd year of racing and still trying to figure out how the decisions are made in this sport but maybe some people of influence can fix something that we all know is flat out dumb. There is still time. Watching 16 or so 120 in orange this year was awesome and the town will be back in droves in 08 because of it!

any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

It's like CHAMP car and the IRL. Nothing can or WILL be done until one of the two series just goes away. SAD but true. Somebody has to be the main series and their just going to butt heads until one loses out.
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Post Thanks / Like

this has also been one of my biggest frustrations with all of opc!!
    everyone has too much ego & 'tunnel' vision.
    both parties have several excuses why this will 'have to' happen this way, but the bottom line is neither will back down and they simply don't want to get along. they claim it won't affect boat count - which may not be all that inaccurate since they have made 120 drivers split themselves long ago to the point almost no one wants to even try the 'other' series. they bad mouth, go after each other's sites, and have head-to-head dates - all making it nearly impossible to run both series even if someone wanted too. it's deep, it's complicated, and everyone will deny it's true.
    i was hoping some new blood on the commission could make everyone play nice and not allow these conflicts by rule. and/or as series organizers retire that we could make some progress for the good of the sport. but apparently i am in the minority, as opc elected most all the same people again. so ascencio & tt (& plain and simple logic), WE are the problem - since the majority has spoken. as silly as this sounds, that IS how they see it. they definately don't care what any 'newby' thinks - they've all been doing this "SUCESSFULLY" for 20+ years. they think voicing our concerns like this online is what's killing our sport. we're just not on the same page...
    but in the end, if the soo and trenton are the same weekend, both races will be weak and opc suffers.
    (ps. i have more insite on the date conflict as i had began addressing it in november...).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K Ladd View Post
    they definately don't care what any 'newby' thinks - they've all been doing this "SUCESSFULLY" for 20+ years. they think voicing our concerns like this online is what's killing our sport. we're just not on the same page...
    but in the end, if the soo and trenton are the same weekend, both races will be weak and opc suffers.
    (ps. i have more insite on the date conflict as i had began addressing it in november...).
    You hit the nail on the head and the exact reasons why the tunnel boat series racing has never gotten to the level we would all like to see it at.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sst45jefff View Post
    You hit the nail on the head and the exact reasons why the tunnel boat series racing has never gotten to the level we would all like to see it at.
    But thats just it.. The racing has been a HUGE series before. Back in the day of the IOGP and even NPA there was 20 Champ boats, 20 SST140 boats and 20 Mod VP boats at every race not to mention Sport E and EP all running the same weekend... We have the boat count to have that now so it's a matter of who's who and who wants to be the main series and NOT whats good for the sport.
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Post Thanks / Like

Tim,
    I wouldnt call IOGP a huge sereis in its day.
    It had a good start and the owner got greedy.
    Instead of puttting back into the sereis to grow it he just kept sucking everything off.
    The participants got tired of putting all the money out to participate and getting so little in return.
    They revolted and another sereis was born only to start the proccess over again.
    This seems to be a cycle and it is not helping the sport grow it only existes.
    You need boat counts to get the people, sponsors and big events attracted and you need dollars to attract the boats and teams.
    Kind of a catch 22.
    But every time the boat counts are up the promoters don't deliver with more dollars and the boat counts begin to fall off. Which is what I see happening with CHAMP Now.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trenton 120 date conflicts

Great discussion. I agree with all points made. *Who should the teams and drivers contact to voice their displeasure related to competing races on the same date?! If the majority of racers were respectively....making positive suggestions then maybe a date change would be made? This should be a win win situation?

How many years has Trenton 45/120 been run on this date?

If the APR race is in the Sault (July 26th, 27th), does the city representatives understand there is a conflicting date and how much better "their event" would be, if it was held on a different weekend (one before or one later)? We need to always create an "improved, positive alternative" for a governing body to switch dates.

jimsummers

you have a governig body switch dates then you wont have any races.
    Fact, Races sites have dates they want you there to Race do you drop them or do you hold a race? well let's talk about changing the dates now we move it one week guess what John Doe has a race that weekend, well that wont work now were getting to were you have back to back races on top of each other, would you like that? How about we do this we let the SR. Series pick there dates first then what is left over anyone can have, sure you wont like that one either. You only have one series racing you can hang it up, then it becomes there way or the hiway. Life is to short to be crying over this crap, this has been going on in motorsports from day one and I dont see it going away any time soon. There is not a good fix to make every one happy. a Series should over ride any one hit race.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I was hoping that if a double date was noticed 5 months in advanced, before a national meeting, the powers that be can get together and work something out. We are the show, I would think we could/can influence change.

Feedback from racers, fans, and promotors is that races with 15 boats are better for all involved then races with 7. On top of all this, knowing the opti motor is coming and some teams are giving it a serious look already would probably further encourage all involved to hope for non conflicting dates. The120 field will be split further until that deal shakes itself out.

Will all teams run both series? Of course not. You have your core racers with the desire and budget to run an entire series. Most will choose one. But I would expect some crossover from time to time. Plus the racer who doesn't get involved in the "loyalty" to one series or the other and will race when they can due to budget constraints, vacation time ect. will have more chances when dates aren't conflicting.

Making everyone happy, that wasn't the goal (but would be a by-product of a fix, for some folks anyway) Brining up an issue with plenty of time to try to resolve it was the goal. Who thinks 2 races, same class, same state is a good thing? How is this good for anyone involved? It is not in the best interest of racers, promotors, host cities.... Hey, something everyone agrees on It's just the fix that is the issue. Anyway, here is to trying! Promotors, good luck at the meeting, play nice with eachother and bring your passport. Tickets for the windsor ballet are cheap

UPDATE: I have been told things ARE still trying to be worked out. Here is hoping that the folks in charge can agree on a solution.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree Rubin.

The governing body I was refering to was APR (Series guys)etc. not the city? Bad choice of words. But maybe the Sault is sticking to their date choice because they are not aware of a possible conflict and that they may have a smaller race field? I am sure they want the event to be as large as possible.

TORC, Toronto Outboard Racing Club which I was on the executive for 9 years always discussed races dates with the New York (Region Two) and Region six guys to best accomodate each other. We TRIED to work things out and respect dates that other clubs ran year after year. It would have been suicide to run a race against Three Rivers, plus half our members wanted to attend their race even if it was in Franklin or Ford City (a good trip for stock mod outboarders).

We do need to recognise that they challenges will always be around and as Jim says we need two series or else one would run the show.

I think it is healthy for racers and teams to care about their sport and discuss issues. Hey Rubin maybe you are headded towards the executive levels if you get worked up enough?

Hey Rubin, you are dying to get racing again?!

Thread Information