Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DePue in the 1960's

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's that motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    What is the man in the fez hiding from us?
    Looks like a Merc 60-J to me.
    Last edited by jeff55vDSH; 12-31-2007 at 11:50 PM. Reason: grammar
    Jeff Yungen

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Depue Pictures

As I recall, the M 444 hydro on the scales was John Young who ran with the Michigan Outboard Racing Assoc, a NOA club. The hydro with the four cylinder Looper leaving the pits could also be John. Rog Dykehouse

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rog Dykehouse View Post
    As I recall, the M 444 hydro on the scales was John Young who ran with the Michigan Outboard Racing Assoc, a NOA club. The hydro with the four cylinder Looper leaving the pits could also be John. Rog Dykehouse
    That could keep it in the late 1960's as NOA allowed the rotary valve Konig earlier than APBA did (around 1970).

Quote Originally Posted by jeff55vDSH
    Looks like a Merc 60-J to me.
    Me too. They came out in 1968, so that one belongs with the Konig rotary valve picture; a little later than the rest of this group. I think the silver overlay on the boat number also indicates a 1970 ish date for that frame, too.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Those KF9s, KG9s and 40Hs Still Look Great

I suspect that is either a KF9 or early KG9 with open flywheel on that neat old hydro. I had 2 KG9s and 2 40Hs back in the later 1960s I tried to terrorize Merc 55Hs with in hydro and runabout but the closest I ever got was in runabout. Keeping the aluminum cowls on them eventually became a problem as the metal failed on mounting points and cracked. By the time I made transition to the later Merc H engines there were only 2 sets of complete aluminum cowls left for the 4 early Merc 4 bangers when I sold them.

Tomtall

Default Boat make

Had a BRF member contact me regarding the make of this hull that was in picture #3. He is thinking of a winter project to add to his "B" vintage stable of boats. Any ideas of maybe who raced it or the make of hull?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

bill boyes

Quote Originally Posted by oldalkydriver View Post
    Bill, Joe, the 43 was Manual Carnakais's number. I'm assuming there is a C in fron ot it. That surely looks like Manual. Sons name I believe was John and the boats name was Woisme! White overalls and Yellow and black boat. Helmet had the same design as the boat until APBA passed that all helmets had to be florescent orange.
    You are correct. I used to help Manual drive to the Nationals. I'm very good friends with his son John. Now for some true facts.
    Lake Ming was a life time dream of Manuals. As past Mayor and a then member of Bakersfield council he got the County to build the Lake to replace Hart Park. However, he did not have the votes needed from the Board of Supv. He needed one swing vote. Manual went to Ming and told him he would see to it that the lake would be named Lake Ming if Mr Ming would vote in favor of the project.
    Hence Lake Ming was born.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Interesting...

In the first picture, it looks like a Konig on a hydro, but I can't see it that well....I feel it is my May Craft hydro, built by Ted May. Here is why: The engine spray shield it like the ones my dad made for my Konigs. The clear fuel lines look like they way we did it...And the Keller returns, are where we placed ours....The Konig is on a Mercury Clamp and swivel, as Lon Stevens shortened my Mercury towers to hold Konig gearcases. The boat has aluminum air traps like Ted used and where the deck and side chine meet, there is no room for a aluminum strip like was on Sid Crafts. (Just a sharp corner). And that F-34, might belong to the Smalls from Florida, as I sold the Smalls, from Florida, my 13'6" DeSilva runabout, at DePue, when I pitted next to them, 1970.

That C-15, I will go out on a limb and say this is Gary Sales. Gary did win the F hydro Nationals with a Marchetti and a Lon Stevens six. And this six is a Lon Stevens six, as you could always tell Lon's motors had a blue crank plate...Seems this is the same Marchetti that Charlie Wix, of Wix Oil Filter fame, once took for a ride a Lake Pleasant, in Phoenix...Why Charlie didn't get killed in that Marchetti, god only knows!!!

The F Runabout that you can only see 7 on and then the word "LAZY" was Lazy Bones the F or Bill Jack Rucker, Senior. DeSilva runabout, with a Lon Stevens six on it...Rucker's boats were always signed painted by Bob Powell...who called himself TREBOR LLEWOP (Robert Powell backward). Bob was a great supporter of the "SAVE THE MOTHER CONDOR REGATTA"....Rucker also had a boat called Lazy Bones then....there was a picture of a DONKEY!!!!

B-98-M looks like a Clark (Maloof) Clark Craft...

D-777-M is Fred Kenny, I'm thinking as Ed Kenny, his brother, always cut the cowling all to hell....

S-10 with the trottle on the RIGHT...NO BRAINER...Harrison...as in Kay Harrison...

Two runabouts, 5-M and 107 M, I'm think the McCortie brothers...CU..(C Runabout) fast as hell in those days!!

C-43 Manny...for sure!! Woisme!!! Bill Boyes pointed out that Manny was Mayor of Bakersfield....On the back of Manny's business card he had reasons why he didn't win the boat race....When people asked how he did at the boat races, Manny'd take out a card and check everything that had happpened...from Flipped, broke cranck, jumped gun, burned piston, fowled plug...and last was "ALL OTHER BOATS FASTER!!!!!

Manny used to charter a plane and sell seats and tickets for the INDY 500...We got tickets from Manny in 1952 when we went to Indy!!!

Enjoyed the pictures...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-01-2008 at 09:29 PM.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default B 93 M

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
    Had a BRF member contact me regarding the make of this hull that was in picture #3. He is thinking of a winter project to add to his "B" vintage stable of boats. Any ideas of maybe who raced it or the make of hull?
    Definitely a Sid Crafy "B" Hornet.

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Do You Know???

TART...being for Sid Craft country I ain't causing trouble...but the reason I thought it was a Clark (Maloof) Craft was....No front cockpit and longer to the dash board (to where the steering wheel is)...Erine Dawe had a Hornet Sid Craft, and that is the only one I ever saw up close...just seemed different that B-98-M or B-93-M.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne:
    I was raised in kalamazoo Michigan, till i enlisted in the service at a ripe old age of 17. Now I live in georgia were I retired from the military My second family was boat racers so now I've come back. Me and my teenage son are just starting our own racing. I wanted him to meet the kind of people I considered family. On My dad he really had a liking for the 6 cyl Merc's he took allot of pictures and did allot of research on them. He always was helping he would take pictures for who ever asked him or pull a rope were needed I belive he helped Tim out some when he first got started. If you want to know more you can talk to Frank Zorkin, Wanda use to feed me every chance she could. I have a question for You did Tim race 25XS in his early days I seem to recall him and a buddy of his pitting next to us at a few races. The time frame for these pictures is if memorie serves me is 1968 to 1972. I have some slides fom the same era at depue if I get the time to convert them to pictures I'll scan them.
    Jerry

Thread Information