Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DePue in the 1960's

Tomtall

Cool DePue in the 1960's

Had a chance to scan some family pictures of Jerry Oberlins over the Holidays. Jerry was just a young lad when these pictures were taken sometime in the mid 1960's. His father, Jerry senior, raced mod class and took these pictures when attending this DePue race from the past. Thanks Jerry for allowing the use of these family pictures.

If any history can be put to the photos, feel free to add them.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Tomtall

Default More DePue

second set
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Post Thanks / Like

The last picture with the rotary valve Konig is very late 1960's or early 70's
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Tomtall

Default Konig

Sam - This last picture in the set may not have been from the first grouping of DePue pictures. I did notice that picture was from different photo stock from the others. Being as Jerry was very young at the time he thought, to the best of his knowledge, because of his age, that these pics were from the mid 1960's. Thanks for the year date on the Konig.

Post Thanks / Like

This is late 50 and early 60
    Not sure this is going to work if not will try something else
    Last edited by BBaron; 04-13-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: To put picture in it

Post Thanks / Like

Default photos

Tom, Thank you so much for posting these photos. These bring back a lot of memories. I was club racing boats just like these in the late 70's and 80's. The club I raced with was behind the curve by about a decade, but we sure had a great time.
    I have a lot of respect for the history this sport has. Those times and years seemed like they'd never end. I wish I had a time machine.
    Jeff Yungen

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great pictures of the pits. Tell Jerry thanks Tom.

first group
    Maybe Jeff can pick the year off the trailer plates in pic #8.

#9 That is Phil Howard in a white T shirt with sunglasses and carrying a powerhead??. The light yellow trailer that says Howard's is exactly the same color as I have always seen his trailer.

Second group

#3 The number G 61 is familiar and maybe I will remember later.

#4 Larry Latta on the scales

#5 a blond headed kid pushing Kay Harrison's hydro back to the pits

Last one. A pit crewman is wearing a Baumann Propeller T shirt. The pit guy on the right looks familiar, but I can't place the name. Maybe Jeff can lift the name off the back of the dark shirted pit guy, and finally you are right about the Konig Sam. I couldn't tell exactly if that was a can on the exhaust, but if it is, that would at least put the manufacture date somewhere around 68-70.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pic #8

Sorry to interupt again. But I just looked more closely at pic #8. That's a Corvette with a trailer hitch! OMG! My dad owns a red vette just like that one, less the trailer hitch. I just put NOS on it for him last year. It's a beast!
    A trailer hitch on a vette is blasphemy. That's like installing a plastic highback seat into a laydown hydro! But I guess it's not so bad if the guy was towing a race boat with the car.
    Jeff Yungen

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Sightings

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Great pictures of the pits. Tell Jerry thanks Tom.

#9 That is Phil Howard in a white T shirt with sunglasses and carrying a powerhead??. The light yellow trailer that says Howard's is exactly the same color as I have always seen his trailer.

Wayne,

In the foreground of the sme photo are 2 boats numbered P-15. This is probably theDwight and Dennis McClellan. Also, F-11 is on the top of a trailer near the water. Would that have been Dub Parker or the Westbrooks?

DW

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't tell for sure about the F11 David, but what looks like a P on the hydro I think is a funky C. There are a couple of reason why I think that. First, the guy in the white T shirt clearly has a C 15 imprint. It has the same dot between the letter and the numbers on the two boats. Secondly, on both boats you see state registration numbers on the side of the cockpits and the nearest boat looks like it has CA preceeding the numbers. No other boats have state numbers. You can be sure that the first race boat registrations and accompanying fees came out of California. Am I right guys? That same hydro is in the foreground of pic 4 of group 2 with Larry Latta on the scales. I am guessing Jerry had a reason for taking pics of that hydro. As I write this, I'm not clear where Jerry is from.

Thread Information