Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DSR Kilo Record

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a (poor qulaity) shot I have of Craig at Lawrence Lake with his ASR "Floater Boat" - kilo record was 61+mph - he also ran it in BSR and it went about 72 mph as I recall.

Here it is also at Lawrence Lake with the B:

Kilos were very fun stuff - but as is noted above, they were basically like running a whole different class with special boats, different props, different set ups.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Default Floater Boater???

Didn't Craig call that boat a "FLOATER BOATER"???? Or way that what I thought he called it. Because the ORIGINAL FLOATERS were all wide nosed and rounded and looked like a big log.

I never saw the boat that Lloyd Mize went 90 MPH in but over the year I've had doubts, but Dave Bryan told me that the Sorensen hulls that the Davidson's bought would run faster than a hydro.

I got to figuring, my 1964 55-H on a 550 pound, boat, motor and driver would go 75 MPH in good water This DSR was also my Marathon boat that I won at least five Needles Marathons in a row with. This 55-H was standard bore.

About this same time, COBRA ran a class called DX, with was a 44 cubic inch Merc on a D Quickie. My brother's brother-in-law go my dad to build him a 44 with Hubbell Horns. He later sold this motor t my friends the Edmissions, and I borrowed it and put it on my D Runabout and MADE Ernie Dawe ride Deck. We RAN F Runabout AND ERNIE SAT BEHIND ME, LATER THEY CALLED THIS "PIGGY BACK" AS UP TO THEN, EVERYONE RAN SIDE BY SIDE IN AN F RUNABOUT.

I know one thing, Ernie and I didn't win F Runabout at Bakerfield that time, be we went so fast it scared both of us. I figured we were doing 80 plus with two in the boat.

So, fast forward, NEW STYLE KILO BOAT, 44 XS with improved gearcase, bigger and better props...90 MPH is a real possible speed and I believe this Record is valid.

My 1977 National Champion DSR would go 72 with a 55 E block and .030 pistions, with an 11 pitch prop. I've seen some of Davidson's kilo wheels and they have 15 inches of pitch!!!

8 1/2 X 15.....these props would put a DSR up in speed!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 07-16-2010 at 04:51 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CSR Kilo Record

When the Davidson's made their assalt on the Parker Kilos ( 13 records) it was a remarkable thing to watch. I was working in the inspection area at that event and vividly remember watching Dick Davidson, early in the morning, make a CSR Kilo run at over 80 mph. The boat was perfectly hanging on a cushion of air , it gave me goose bumps to watch. Some time after that Loydd got the hulls for Davidson. Jimmy Dawe asked me to go through and set up his new D (44XS). Approx a year later Loydd Mize borrowed Jimmy's D for the 90 plus runs he made, I think at Modesto. Thanks for the memories.

Ken Scoville

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of how great a day that would have been to watch those kilos Ken. You got me thinking about the couple I ran, and how the people on the shore can be so anxious. It is a long time to hang out.

I really enjoyed visiting with you down in Texas, and hope to do so again soon. You've got a lot more good stories to tell than we've heard so far....so post some more.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hull has to go round?

I could be wrong but doesn't it say in Aof or NBRA that the hull has to have run in a race?

Post Thanks / Like

Default C Runbaout Dave Bryan Set Me These

Dave and Judy Bryan are on their way to DePue. Dave is going to help Tim Weber in Antique C Runabout and C Service Runabout. I'm trying to get him to go to Trenton, Michigan to see the 45 Worlds this weekend.

Steven, Tammy and Ernie Dawe will be there from Region 12.

These are the records the Davidson's broke that weekend in Parker.

Dick and Bob Davidison were excellent prop MEASURERS and good prop benders, just an FYI!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

well i wast here that day in parker. it cost bob 50 dollars a class to run thru the kelos 13 x 50 =750.00 $. he could of broke more records .they where thubing thru the record s to break some more when the motor inspecter John leard came down and said give me a break i have to tear all these ingine down to night and drive back to WA bob said ok i am out of money ant way
    David Bryan

Thread Information