Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSR Kilo Record

Post Thanks / Like

Default DSR Kilo Record

I am curious about another "amazing" Stock Outboard record that is posted on the APBA website, that of Lloyd Mize in DSR Kilo. It is mind boggling to me to see a record of almost 90 MPH in DSR. What was the general setup he used, etc. I know Darrell built some specialized Kilo boats but don't have any knowledge of them. Was there another D engine used in those days other than the 55H? It is almost as amazing that the DSH record is only a hair higher, still great speed. Pictures anyone?

89.38 MPH

Class 06050 - DSR Sunday, March 20, 1988 Record Type KILO
    Location WATERFORD, CA Driver LLOYD MIZE Owner L. MIZE & J. DAWE
    Boat BULLET Hull Type SORENSEN Engine MERCURY

Post Thanks / Like

44 cubic inch Merc 44xs ... a little bigger and more powerful than the 55H
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 44xs

Thanks Sam:

I did not realize that the 44XS ran in D, thought it was a separate class. F-A-S-T records indeed, and almost 20 years old.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DSR Kilo Record

Lloyd Mize is a master set-up man. He has logged more kilo runs than just
    about anyone. He very quickly figured out how to make a 44xs go fast through the traps-run a big enough wheel that pulls at about 6200 rpm's.
    He did that only about 2 years after the 44xs came out.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Two of the boats Lloyd used for kilo records were the ones I built for Davidson's. Davidson's took the two boats A-B runabout & C-D runabout to Parker Kilos and rewrote the record book in one weekend (13 broken records).
    After Davidson's retired from racing, Lloyd Mize bought them. Lloyd, a man of few words, told me that he was having problems with the C-D boat. When he took the speedometer pickup tube off the didn't handle well. I told him just leave it in, he was only running it about an inch deep. A couple years before using the 44SX he had a return run at Modesto of around 90 mph with a 55H. The officals disallowed it as it had to be a timing mistake. Lloyd discribed the run to me: He said the boat felt slow and the speedometer quit working, but when the slowed down the speedometer jumped up to around 90mph for an instant.
    Lloyd borrowed Jimmy Dawe's 44SX, repeated what he did with the 55H and the record went in the books.
    Darrell

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Another time at the Modesto kilos Lloyd set the C Mod Runabout record with a 30H, his next run was with a Hot Rod on his B boat and it broke down clear at the other end of the course. His next run was going to be C Stock Runabout, using the same 30H, so I started helping him by taking the pipes off and closing it up for stock. When Lloyd got back from being towed in, he looked the motor over. Went out and broke the C Stock Runabout record. No changes execpt removing the megaphones.
    Darrell

Post Thanks / Like

Default Amazing

Simply amazing. As one who has been removed from the sport for so long and only saw 2 blade props in use, what was used for these records? Did the drivers go to 3 blades for all applications including kilo runs? I remember how hard everyone was working to hit 70 MPH in DSR, or to beat Ron Hills record before 1971. Were these boats special Kilo boats, and what made them different? When we got out of racing specialized record run boats were yet to come out, with the exception of Craig Selvidge's ASR maybe. By the way, I came across a picture or two of Craig's Red record setting boat at Lawrence Lake, with the clear plastic "Saran Wrap" cowling, on the scales after setting a record. Sorry it is not with me to post right yet.

I would be interested in seeing a picture or two of Darrell's boats mentioned above if they exist out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arcticracer View Post
    I would be interested in seeing a picture or two of Darrell's boats mentioned above if they exist out there.
    I'd like to see and learn more about this topic too!

Question: Is it true that there are no propshaft height restrictions for Kilo record attempts?
    Jeff Yungen

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rules for Kilo

Basically no hull restrictions at all. No height rules, or min weight rules if memory serves. It is like it's own category with it's own rules. Engine rules for stock and mod and Pro are about the only thing that remains in effect. This is why you see such a large variation in Kilo speed records verses what that same person can run in a oval race. Even the 850 CCMH Kilo record speed could not be repeated in a race on an oval track. And by his own claims, he was running the very same boat and engine that was his daily driver sort to speak.

If one wants to tackle the Kilo records, it takes as much drive and prolly more cash to do than regular oval racing. Special props, hulls, and lots of testing. And those special Kilo hulls are typically one off's so they may not cost the same as say a normal hull used in oval.

Given the amount of Kilo Records a Sorenson Hull has, I would say Darell has it figured out though.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the weight is the same as any Stock D Runabout for kilos but no height rules.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-28-2020 at 09:59 PM.
    David Bryan

Thread Information