Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Thunder Cat" Cleaver prop pitch for Nissan D 50hp Short Shaft

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Thunder Cat" Cleaver prop pitch for Nissan D 50hp Short Shaft

Any help would be greatly appreciated... I own two 13 foot inflatable Cat Dux Hammerheads, one is the original South African built, the other is an American built boat. The power I use for my South African built boat is a Nissan 50d 50HP Short Shaft outboard. I'm looking to buy a cleaver prop and would like to know which would be a better prop 11 x 18 or 11 x 19 cleaver???
    Thanks in advance!!!

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

thats kinda long in pitch, not that it would not go, just not for the surf, Yamaha makes a 19p for it. or Ron Hill mite have somethin for ya.
    eather way an 18 can be repitched to 19, or 19 back to 18p.

jackit up, keep it light, top end should be nice with an 18 or 19p

oh, ya, 11" of diamiter is about the max, may be a bit less,
    10"5/8, 10"3/4.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info., FAST FRED. I currently run one of two 10.5" x 15 pitch props one is a Rapture, the other is a Power Tech. I get the best top end out of the Power Tech prop, but I hit the rev limiter. Do you think a stock Nissan 50 D 3 cylinder short shaft outboard would have enough power to push a 11" x 18 pitch prop?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Props

I do not know much about the Nissan motor, but up here in Alaska the Yamaha 50 and Tohatsu 50 are raced in stock form (well, with a nosecone), on boats that are quite a bit heavier than what you are running. They run 12" X 20 to 22 pitch wheels. It is allowed to remove rev limiters, and the engines run well past the limit, and seem to take the abuse pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

I race in South Africa ..... Ron Hill built me an awesome 20p cleaver that moves like hell, but I run in the blueprint class, so my motor is a little modified and have the power to swing a 20p, if you run a stock motor you should stay with 18p ..... but not for surf, only for long haul racing as it takes too long to get to top speed, for surf the best prop is a 15p mercury vengeance prop ...... that rapture is not a nice prop ...... the powertech is a good prop .....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the help. I wish these boats were as big as they are in South Africa!!! I thought about getting my crank welded, do you think it would make a huge difference with the 11"X18 p cleaver prop? I'm looking for top end speed out of the South African built DUX.

Post Thanks / Like

how big is that boat, ours is 4,1 meters ..... you should weld the crank yes .... 18 pitch would be perfect .....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Crank Welding

My boats specifications: length 4.1meters / Beam: 1.9 meters / Weight 75kg.
    What's the trick in finding a reputable mechanic to do the crank welding? What would I expect to pay for this.

Post Thanks / Like

our boats are the exact same size ......... not sure where you gonna find anyone to pin your crank, ideally you should go to a marine racing mechanic ..... it is not that expensive as it is a quick job ....

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

motorcycle drag racers weld thare cranks, maybe easer to find one of them guys, check the runout before and after, you can get them down to about.0005
    of defletion

Thread Information