Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jim and Sean McKean

bill boyes

Distance, Depends on how far out they want to run from the levee. We do not like them to close as we cannot pick them up with the scanners as we are about 20ft up from the water. I would say 50 to 100 yrds would be were we like them to run. The faster guys we would like further out as we can follow on the scanners better

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All of my Hawaiin shirts are short sleeve Darrell. & those girls in the picture didn't even have any shirts. What about any leis? Looks like fun. I am looking forward to meeting a bunch of people from BRF as well as seeing some old friends.

Bill, that's about what I was thinking so I'll do some testing with my 500mm lens. In my experience you don't want to get too close to a structure like a levy or dam as it seems to have some ground effects causing a boat to lift. I think even a slight breeze against a solid wall tends to back up causing air to pack in and make a boat handle squirrely.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been trying to book this trip since 6 CST. I finally got all concluded but the hotel. These so called internet bookies don't provide all the info and assume if you are doing it through the internet, you know your way around. I got so confused about the info they wanted I was using words not allowed here. They said my middle name was optional. When they got to the part to complete it they asked for additonal drivers. There was none. What they actually wanted was my full name to see if I was not a risk, but I could not complete the form without naming myself as an additional person. Not a very well set up questionnaire. I would have given my middle name in the first place if it wasn't optional. So I am expecting after I check in at the hotel how come I registered as one when there is an additional person.

So I will get there around noon on Thursday. Check in. Then head out for the race course. Carl...I will start hounding Alan tommorrow if I haven't heard anything by then.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the deal. The Mckean team will be running an oil cooled motor if everything clicks. The water is very cold. Optimum performance from motors comes from proven temperature ranges. Outboards are cooled from water circulating throughout the water jacket from whatever water source they are operating in. Water in-water out. This system that will be on the McKean record attempts will be a closed loop system. Vapor Trail Racing has utilized the basic concept in other forms very successfully in auto racing. It is not the envisioned final set up at this point, but it will be the first step of a proving ground for the ultimate setup. At this point it remains a long shot, but if the trials prove out, this first stage could very well be a historical moment in outboard history. Of all the many developments in the marine engine history, one constant remains the coolant. The Oroville Kilos could set some rethinking of this standard in motion.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, I was looking on a map and was figuring the kilos would be just off the Oroville Dam Road. Is that correct? And where would the pits be?

bill boyes

Yes that is correct Oroville Dam Blvd is Hwy 162. Follow my Directions from SMF airport on a earlier post. I will PM you my phone nbrs.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay Bill, I'll do the same. I will be bringing the autograph collection now instead of shipping it. I need to go through my photos and print up some of people I think may show up so I can add to the collection. Rich Fuschlin is bringing fuel for the McKeans so I know I need to find one of him.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim McKean is flying in hooked up to IV's in a wheelchair with a VRP motor so I don't know how much help the attendant's will give there. Joe Flow is flying in with all the canisters, pumps, and secrets hooked up to clear plastic tubing, so I don't know how much security is going to help there. Luckily, I will arrive before any of them get to security. I went through that before in Nigeria when they wanted to know if my 50 some odd little metal cans with screw on lids were "Bom-bes".

Post Thanks / Like

Sean is already there at Oroville. Talked with Joe Flow and Jim McKean earlier. We are all still on go. Even without kilos, we have testing to get done and the next stop may have to be Florida. But we have airline tickets and all the expenses already dumped into Oroville, so in the meantime it may only be us on the water with a competition set up if nothing else.

bill boyes

If you are still coming to test you might want to test at the south forebay. Take Grand ave go west. It is not far from the kilo site. You might have a short window Friday between storms. Give me a call and I will drive up. If you guys don't string me up.

Thread Information