Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Jim and Sean McKean

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We discussed different fluids Saturday, but some of the fluids expand so much when they get hot, we didn't want to deal with that if at all possible. The battery should not have been needed in the first place. If the diapragm pumps had worked as they did at Denny's earlier the total weight of the pumps and lines would probably not have exceeded a pound. Joe is now looking at another pump source that will not require a battery. Sean did have a smaller battery but we chose the larger because we didn't know what kind of draw the pump would have. It started out with 12.6 volts and after the beach testing and testing on the water, it only dropped to 12.2. It didn't even have a switch. When it was time to start the motor, Billy or Al just tightened the connection on the battery.

The reason for starting this out with Mobil 1 is that Joe has had some past experience with these guys and they have expressed an interest in helping out financially. When this concept is worked out, then Joe will put it before some money guys that can see where this thing is headed. At this point we are even more optimistic than last year at the cooling ability of the oil. It may be at some point in the testing that other factors may lead to different fluids, but at the beginning the design was to have all the oil cooled in the lower unit, hence the "Hotfoot". The chiller was a later thought. I was very pleased to have Joe asked me to be a part of the team, because this is an interesting project. AND I have been getting back together with some old boat racing friends, not just to talk old stories, but to possibly be there when some outboard history is created. It's been a lot of fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the guys from the first test.
    1 Jim McKean and his friend Gayle. Jim just got off IV's two days earlier. He had to keep the foot elevated 1 hour for each hour he stood on it. After a particulary busy time, Joe told Jim he had recalled the last time he saw him the brace was on the other foot.

2 Al Davis. Al ran C and D hydro when I was racing. He and Joe Cohen aka Joe Flow moved from Minnesota to the Dallas around 1968-69. He's got some good Wally Roman stories. Al and Joe challenged Denny Henderson and Craig and Ashley Lawrence to a grudge race at a Dallas Go cart track. They were kicked out and banned for life, but that cemented their friendship.

3 Richard Frye (left) and Denny Henderson. Richard was into boat racing long before I started and has remained throughout all these years. In the meantime he has worked all over the world including the North Sea, Saudi Arabia and other hostile areas. He would be gone for a year or two, then at Alex or another big race you would turn around in the pits and there he was looking at you. Uncanny. There were no cell phones or GPS back then, but Richard somehow knew when and where to show up from halfway around the world. Of course Denny has been a true friend and great competitor for many years.

4 Sean McKean in the cockpit, Billy whom I met at Corsicana in the middle and Joe Flow. Billy has been a pit man for Jim and Sean for awhile and knows where everything is and where everything goes. He towed the rig down from Dallas and was ready for the action. He is a motorcross guy as well.

5 Vapor Trail Racing's Joe Flow. He and his wife Valerie drove down from Boulder Colorado. It was good to see Val again after probably 26 or so years.

6 Sean McKean. It is incredible the driver Sean has turned into. Not only a multiple National champion, but he is non chalant about doing a kilo run in the mid 120's. He has unofficially seen more than 130 mph. Sean and Jim definitely have the kilo set ups dialed in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Got an update from Joe Flow yesterday. Jim McKean got his removable cast off a few days ago. Testing will resume at Corsicana in April or May. No firm date yet. Jim will be putting his cast back on then so he won't have to do any lifting. Al is looking into buying one himself.

Post Thanks / Like

All this tells me is that you need to drive.........................I'm sure we'd all pitch in for the proper safety equipment

Post Thanks / Like

No way Scott. Sean has melded the groove. I'm just now getting back into the flow and an seeing some incredible speeds for these small bore motors. Sean is bored before he gets up to 100mph. He twists the steering wheel and slaps the sponsons for his boat to break loose....and that's in spite of the steering cables strafing the top of his thighs. (ouch). There are a lot of things that each person brings to the team. I am here to spread the word of this project. You guys, BRF members, will be the first to hear of initial results, but there are certain things in the confedential realm that cannot be released until the proper time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default update

Unfortunately no big strides have been made on the Hotfoot since the test. Joe Flow and Denny have done a little benchwork, but because of numerous other factors the project on one hold. Sean does have a VTR valves on his hydro, but not the Hotfoot. One of the reasons for the delay is the fact that Joe Flow continues to develope new products and has not had the time to steam ahead with the Hotfoot. About every 3-5 months Joe sends me a postcard on what's new, and e mails on who has won what with his valves. Seems to me Joe is gaining big time momentum in car racing. The reliabilty and maximum operating ranges of the engines equipped with his valves are showing up on podiums and high place finishes.

I never tried this before, so it may not work, but if it does.....check out this link to our very own Joe Flow from the ranks of BRF. JoeFlow@vaportrailracing.com

ADD: No....that's not it. That's to contact Joe Flow. I'll try again to get directly to the home page.

ADD: Try this. www.vaportrailracing.com

Thread Information