Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Cash a Racing Fan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Johnny Cash a Racing Fan

Came across this old program and couldn't help but notice who was on the cover. So they were boat racing fans. Left to right, Bob Wooton, Johnny Cash (inset), Carl Perkins, Marshall Grant, and W. F. Holland. This was taken at the Governors Cup event held in Lexington, Tennessee 1969.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

David, if you do a search here on BRF you'll learn that Marshall Grant was not only a fan, but a racer of some note (pun intended).

If you find a specialized part with the word GRANT cast into it, it was made by Marshall. The race boats named after Johnny Cash songs were owned by Marshall - Ring of Fire, Boat Named Sue, etc

There are a number of pictures here and there from the 1960's with a certain smiling pit flunky carrying boats, holding tools and doing whatever ... back at his motel room with his change of clothes ... blue suede shoes
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I know about searching. I found the posts with pics, pretty good. Sorry for the repeat.

Post Thanks / Like

I knnever k new Marshall owned Boy named Sue and Ring of Fire songs....Now that should be a goal of every boat racer who needs descretionary income...Write a hit or two, and all you need to really know how to do after that is learn to walk out to the mailbox! All that free time for boat racing development....If only it was just that easy.....

bill boyes

He owned the boats by that name.
    Marshalls book "I Was There When It Happened" is very good reading. Amazon .com has it.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A guy by the name of Shel Silverstein wrote A BOY NAMED SUE and RING OF FIRE was co-written by June Carter (before she married John) and Merle Kilgore. Marshall also had a hydro named Miss Folsom. If you do as Bill suggests and along with going out to buy the CD Johnny Cash at Madison Square Garden you will get a lot of enjoyment. That CD typifies what the TV show was like at the time. Shel Silverstein was off the side of the stage and John mentions him as he goes into the song. Shel also contributed satire pieces for "Playboy Magazine". Hey Ted.........did you meet him?

Post Thanks / Like

Is that the same Shel who writes children's poetry books? My kids have some of those books...The preface talks about Shel -- quite a character. The book says he lives in the Florida Keys and refuses to wear shoes.

Some of his children's books are a little naughty. So "Boy Named Sue" sort of fits! But I never knew he was the guy who wrote it! wow

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Sidewalk.../dp/0060256672

Teddy said it was a hat,

So I put it on.

Now Dad is saying, "Where the heck's

the toilet plunger gone?"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shel.................

That's him..............
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lafcadio, The Lion that Shot Back

Learn something everyday... Shel Silverstein wrote "A Boy Named Sue. " He also wrote, "An Ode to A Watermelon Pickle" Amazon.com: Lafcadio, The Lion Who Shot Back: Books: Shel Silverstein
    Amazon.com: Lafcadio, The Lion Who Shot Back: Books: Shel Silverstein by Shel Silverstein.
    www.amazon.com/Lafcadio-Lion-Who-Shot-Back/dp/0060256753 -

235k -

Lorna "Dune" a friend from Junior College, that Bill Boyes will remember, broguht me an issue of Playboy to chemisty class to have me read the story of Lafcdio, The Lion that Shot Back.

Over the years I had many classes read the story....most kids were amazed to find out it had been in PLayboy... Great story no "R" rating...

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes.........he's quite the artist also. Alexis has one of his books, and I was surprised to find that he wrote those Val. Johnny Cash cast his net wide when it came to looking at songs and performances of others. That's why, believe it or not, at one time his popularity and record sales was greater than the beatles.

Johnny Cash also recorded on the San Quentin album a song by a prisoner, and on the Live at Madison Square Garden he did a song written by Christopher Wren who was a writer for Life Magazine. Wren ended up writing a biography on Johnny published in 1971.

"A Boy Named Sue" was first performed onstage during the live recording of the San Quentin album. Shortly after that the album was released and it went to number one. Marshall's account of that is really interesting reading and because of the circumstances surrounding the recording it became one of Marshall's favorites.

Thread Information