Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Modern Outboard 1971 Havasu Classic

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great Ron. I always wondered why you had that worried look on your face in that picture
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I Guess I'm Not Smart Enough To Post Pictures To Prove I Have The Mag, So I'll Keep My Comments Off This Web Site. My Daddy Taught Me At A Very Early Age To Tell The Truth. When The Time Comes, The Truth Will Become Known.

Jim

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to post the picture for us to believe you Jim. Also, your Daddy was right. It reminds me of the story from the depression era when a country kid of about 10 or 12 was called to the witness stand for a trial in which he was the only eyewitness. The city slicker lawyer asked this boy "Did your Daddy tell you what to say son?" The youngster meekly replied, "Yes sir." Hooking his thumbs in his suspenders, the lawyer swiveled his upper body to face the jury with a big grin on his face. Then the lawyer turned back to the boy and gently said....... "And what did he tell you?" With a proud look on his face, the boy exclaimed, "To tell the truth and no sumbitchin' shyster lawyer can make a liar out of me."

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Twin Rythem

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Man.......you're a pro now Ron. I can look back to just two years ago and I couldn't even do what you did at the beginning of this thread. I don't know how many have mentioned this to you Ron, but among the guys I know there are a number that have told Joe and myself that they never even knew how to turn on a computer until someone pulled them in front of a monitor with some BRF stories and photos.

Back to Havasu...That's a good pic of you. I like singles, but I forgot what you had said about the duals that you liked so much on another thread other than it seemed to really perk the crowd up. I never raced any duals but my Dad had a Thompson with twin Evinrude 75's and when they were wide open you could adjust the throttles slightly until there was a constant droning. Sounded like the B&W movies of inside a WWII bomber making a run. Did you try to make adjustments like that underway? Or did you have to do something like that under racing conditions for torque reasons with the duals?
    Interesting about twin engine sync. When I was a test driver at Naples Test Station we always ran twin engines. I loved the sound of the twins in sync.

In later years with larger engines drivers admitted to running twins out of sync as it caused them to fall asleep. I doubt if it occurs with race boats due to variation in counter rotation propellers. Drivers usually have throttles to the mat and more concerned with trim settings. Comments anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Gwaltney View Post
    Interesting about twin engine sync. When I was a test driver at Naples Test Station we always ran twin engines. I loved the sound of the twins in sync.

In later years with larger engines drivers admitted to running twins out of sync as it caused them to fall asleep. I doubt if it occurs with race boats due to variation in counter rotation propellers. Drivers usually have throttles to the mat and more concerned with trim settings. Comments anyone?
    Most of my duals "synched" out all by themselves.....Same power, same props, same height, same speed....do the math. If both engines were healthy they stayed on synch and you could hear the minor differences in revolutions as a slow repetitive moaning sound............

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Not calling Wayne or you liars...but, it is amazing that a magazine that only had one issue....and was a limited edition for sure...that there'd be three copies here on BRF...and I got mine from Dick Sherrer...I never got one mailed to me....But I will call the three of us NUTS as this magazine is what, thirty 37 years old....
    Maybe this will add some more confusion as to how many issues of Modern Outboard were published.
    Mine is November 1971; Volume 1, No. 6.
    Publisher; Lou Kjose , Editor; A.S. (Bill) Ames.
    Feature articles include;
    The Havasu Story, history of the race from 1959 to 1970.
    Outboard Fuel Injection; Dick Sherrer's experimental Merc 1350 w/FI
    1971 OPC Nationals at Dayton, Ohio
    Danbury, Ohio races May 1971
    W.C.O.A. OPC divisionals Lake Amador, California June 1971
    Lake Casitas, COBRA July 1971
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Peter...

....thanks for scanning and posting those magazine pages and your comments. This thread was kind of a fun one because of the comments, and now you add more. At the same time you add to the mystery of the publication as well as historical info to Boatracingfacts.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey, Peter, Also...

Any chance of scanning it larger and E-Mail it to me....as I can't read it...

ronhill@hillmarine.com

Volume 1 number 6...So, first year, 6th issue...So, there maybe be six issues out there???

I never saw the one Pete just posted...

Post Thanks / Like

I was just looking through my brothers old slides from Havasu 1970, trying to see if the stacker Molinari that Joe Fielder drove might be in there somewhere.

Haven't been able to find it, but ran across some pretty cool images. Thought I'd share:

The notes on this one says "Bill Petty, Ohio". It may or may not be accurate. I have no way of knowing...

I was at this race - but I was only 8 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Havasu Entries 1971

Miss BK...If I start a thread in the BRF Encyclopedia, will you post about your family and racing?

On page three here, the two boat uder the London Bridge are Ted May ( X-1) and Sandy Killen...Sandy was from Seattl before moving to Havasu...He had an Ed Karlesen tunnel...Ted and Sandy were the first two to drive a boat under the Londo Bridge at about 100 MPH, maybe the only ones...

He is a list of 1971 entries: 199 was Bill Petty!

Great pictures....wish were were racing at Havasu....today...One year we raced havasu Friday and Saturday, then went to Parker and ran Sunday with the inboard club...We were "LIVING" LARGE in those days!

Thread Information