Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Modern Outboard 1971 Havasu Classic

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Modern Outboard 1971 Havasu Classic

I think there may have only been one issue of this magazine, but I read it 400 times. There maybe be some copy right somewhere, but seems if A.S. (Bill) Ames was around or is around, he might like to see this great article on BRF.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have that issue Ron. & that's the only one I have. So maybe there's only two left.....unless we hear otherwise from other boat racing pack rats. I never could figure out where to stash it. It could get lost mixed with other Powerboat's and it doesn't go with Propellers. I think I have it with quarterly published Hot Boats.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Magazine

Add One More To The Still Around List.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Default They Only Printed 11 Copies....

Not calling Wayne or you liars...but, it is amazing that a magazine that only had one issue....and was a limited edition for sure...that there'd be three copies here on BRF...and I got mine from Dick Sherrer...I never got one mailed to me....But I will call the three of us NUTS as this magazine is what, thirty 37 years old....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aw hell.....

.......I thought to myself as I pushed aside some APBA rule books that had slid off the stack, then I spotted an orange corner. It was too much to hope for, but sure enough......it was the copy I had wasted already two hours looking for.

I felt you called us out Ronand I went to go fetch my copy as proof. I went to the loft above the carport and went through several boxes of boat racing magazines in a hurry. Not there. So I came back down and looked through some real old ones I had sorted out. That was where I had most of the Hot Boats. Not there. So I went into the darkroom where I had some of the international racing stuff. Not there. Then I went back up to the loft and went through the boxes one magazine at a time. No luck. Then I looked in a box that had a couple of photo mags on the top. When I moved them, I discovered the rest of the box was boat racing. Ahhh....so that's where it is. Nope! Rats! So I went back down to the racing room for the last time and looked one more time in the Hot Boats. Then I was thinking to myself "Aw hell....I'm going to have to fess up to Ron that I can't find mine" when I decided to look under the rulebooks. I had only sorted those magazines out a couple of months ago and I had remembered seeing it. Since it was one of a kind, I didn't put it with the others as I had thought and had instead puit it on the next shelf up with the rulebooks.

This issue was mailed to me at the Alice Specialty Co. post office box. I never got my mail there. I was in college at the time, but I still used the Sandia address. My Dad got most of his mail at the ASCO address, but it was not addressed to him. So I don't know how my name was tied to that address from someone I didn't know. But one fact is for certain and is proven once again. If you are looking for in depth history of boat racing, for instance the article "Michigan's Tornado Buster's" by Fred Scwhartz and photos by Joe Scwartz ........Boat Racing Facts is the place to come.

ADD: We might be nuts Ron, but Russ still has socks older than that issue.
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 01-17-2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: additional comments

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Wasn't Calling You Out...

I am amazed...that there is at least three of these magazine..

Hey, would you post that Michigan Marathon? Seems I put some stuff away yesterday, and forgot I was going to post that...

My brother's socks?? I thought it was his underwear!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Not calling Wayne or you liars...but, it is amazing that a magazine that only had one issue....and was a limited edition for sure...that there'd be three copies here on BRF...and I got mine from Dick Sherrer...I never got one mailed to me....But I will call the three of us NUTS as this magazine is what, thirty 37 years old....
    Maybe this will add some more confusion as to how many issues of Modern Outboard were published.
    Mine is November 1971; Volume 1, No. 6.
    Publisher; Lou Kjose , Editor; A.S. (Bill) Ames.
    Feature articles include;
    The Havasu Story, history of the race from 1959 to 1970.
    Outboard Fuel Injection; Dick Sherrer's experimental Merc 1350 w/FI
    1971 OPC Nationals at Dayton, Ohio
    Danbury, Ohio races May 1971
    W.C.O.A. OPC divisionals Lake Amador, California June 1971
    Lake Casitas, COBRA July 1971

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Peter...

....thanks for scanning and posting those magazine pages and your comments. This thread was kind of a fun one because of the comments, and now you add more. At the same time you add to the mystery of the publication as well as historical info to Boatracingfacts.

Thread Information