Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Modern Outboard 1971 Havasu Classic

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Morgan City Pictures

That last picture, #35 is Ted May in Barry Wood's boat....

You can see Reggie's boat here, #77 is Mike Wallace in a new SPRINT SCOTTI...

Seems when Reggie blew over, they put out a caution flag, so I slowed as instructed at the drivers meeting....Seems Downard blew by me before I realize no one was slowing. The weather got worse during the race, and with my set up, (too big of prop) no way could I hang the boat....

When Mike Downard acme and stayed at my house, 1998, (He stayed about two weeks, wish he'd visti again.) I told him I was still mad at him for passing during the caution... LOL!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pictures from Modern Outboard, November 1971.

ADD: We did have some great races in those days![/QUOTE]

Ron, glad to see you putting my November issue of MODERN OUTBOARD to good use...I knew you would be a much better 'scanner' than me!

Back in the early & mid seventies here in Canada we also had some pretty good OMC versus Mercury battles both on and off the water....
    in 1973 in Magog, Quebec (Canadian Marathon Nationals) when the strong winds put an end to the afternoon's racing the drivers with some time to kill decided to have a 'friendly' football game that some how primarily became the OMC factory drivers against the Merc factory team.
    On paper team OMC had the definite advantage; Jim Cascadden at well over 200 pounds actually looked like a real football player and had 'popeye' arms; Tom Wood had a Dick Butkus demeaner and a stare that could scare the _ _ _ _ out of you and Roger Wood was a toned down version of Tom.
    Team Mercury had Oley Berkis, big but known as a 'meanie', Mark Rotharmel who at age 19 was understandably a little apprehensive about the whole idea, and Spencer Dunn who was maybe 5' 6" (give of take an inch)...
    It didn't take long before quite a crowd gathered as you could tell that this was getting pretty serious and although the quality of play was something less than spectacular you just knew they weren't going to stop until a winner could be declared...
    and the winner was team Mercury on the only touchdown scored; Spencer Dunn on a 'statue-of-liberty' play running for his life with Tom Wood about a yard behind him with those Tom Wood eyes rolled back and numerous expletives coming from Tom so Spencer knew he was right behind...fun stuff for sure!!!!!!!!
    By the way Mercury won S -class (Oley Berkis) after Spencer blew-over.
    OMC won U-class, Barry Taylor if I remember.

On another note, Spencer Dunn, Tom Wood and Jim Cascadden were all Havasu drivers from 70 thru 72.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Race summarys.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Tinker came down here "ARMED" yesterday and wanted to tell his side of the story,......
    This paper is 38 years old....We'll get Tinker down here and get his side yet! (Not that anyone REALLY said anything about his driving skills...).
    If memory serves, that race recap you posted was something that Molly Ballou used to do for Mercury after the Havasu and Parker races. I remember them now that you've posted one, I had forgotten all about them. That particular summary shows that Petty lost a lower unit Saturday and lost about 26 minutes. That was the same thing that happened to Renato, failed SSM and lost about a half hour. Molinari would have won the Championship easily in 1970 if that unit hadn't blown in the last half hour of Saturday's run. He had led for the first 3 1/2 hours and he recorded the most laps on Sunday.

Tell Tinker that if there are two versions of the Saturday pit stop, they have to be.....
    #1 - what really happened and
    #2 - the story he tells.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paris.....

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Willabee,

While has nothing to do with this post, but do you remember the excursion that Seebold hosted for some Merc guys Velden, you & at the bar at the Hilton, I was sitting alone, and he said for me to tag along. It was a private party upstairs in that section of town that good religious people avoid. You were there for a whole minute & departed. Do you recall later that he had charged it on his credit card & when the bill came Lynn opened it or thats what the legend says.
    Sorry to say that I don't remember that particular "little excursion". However, I do recall that sometime later, back in the states, he was talking about all the hot water he was in because he had had been dumb enough to put something on his credit card that should never have been charged.

I also remember we were looking for The Big "B" one night and couldn't find him. Suspecting that he might have headed for that location alone, I grabbed a couple of the guys and we went to check it out. Sure enough, when we walked through the door I could hear him complaining very loudly as he was coming down the stairs. He was telling someone that "he wanted his money back, that he was not satisfied with his purchase". He's the only person in the world I know that would even consider trying to pull that off!

Post Thanks / Like

There are some stories that are best "laid" to rest............
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t2x View Post
    there Are Some Stories That Are Best "laid" To Rest............:d
    Ditto.....
    John Sherlock

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Modern Outboard 1971 Havasu is actually 1970 Race

Dear Members- Modern Outboard 1971 Havasu Classic article is actually the 1970 Race. Bill Sirois won the race for Mercury with dual stackers on "Up Up & Away" in 1970. He again won for Mercury in 1971, but had dual Twisters for power! I am presently working on a video of Havasu 1971 Outboard World Championships. I am looking for an Official Program or Powerboat Mag. article for the 1971 race which would be approx. March 1972. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Mark Benson- Producer Goseetv/boatracing E-mail mrbenson55@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Parker results.....

Gene Lanham is looking for the official results, listing the top 10 at Parker, 1968. I checked my stuff and can't find them and was wondering if one of you old salts might be able to post them here.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judi Cable View Post
    Dear Members I am looking for an Official Program or Powerboat Mag. article for the 1971 race which would be approx. March 1972. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Mark Benson- Producer Goseetv/boatracing E-mail mrbenson55@gmail.com
    I have a copy of Powerboat (February 1971) that has the Havasu 1970 race article.
    If you want to send me a private e-mail I can maybe get you a copy of the article.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default This Old Salt...

I have the 1969 Program, somewhere, but I think it may only have the top ten..

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...er+Enduro+1968

1970 Hot Boat covered the race...."How About That" won a Howard hull owned by Howard McCormick out of Oklahoma City. Bobby Massey won the outboard division...I think...

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...=Switzer+Wings
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 06-12-2009 at 08:36 AM.

Thread Information