Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Modern Outboard 1971 Havasu Classic

Post Thanks / Like

It's so much fun going through those entry lists! When I was 8 years old, I only was familiar with a few names (the name Ron Hill, of course, was one...)

But here's one name that I didn't get to know until several years later. In a TOTALLY different atmosphere - stock outboards. We later became very good friends and still exchange Christmas cards - all these years, I didn't realize FRANK ZORKAN was in this race!

And now I think there might even be a picture of him in these slides my brother took.

The notes on this 1970 slide say, "Roger Hulett, Phoenix, AZ". On Ron's entry list of 1971, Frank Zorkan is listed as co-driver.

So is this a picture of Roger and Frank during a pit stop??? Ironically, Frank and I would be watching this race together exactly 9 years later --- standing on the bank just behind where this photo was taken. Strange world!

PS - Look at those steering wheels !!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ray Hulett is Roger's Father

Roger worked from Yamaha for a long time after he quit racing...

Ray Hulett had raced with my father in the era my dad raced "C" Racing Runabout (!940-50)...Ray was a great machinist and he worked for OMC through C.W. "Doc" Jones of Phoenix. Ray did the much of the machine work on the Stranglers and Super Strangler we raced. Roger built this boat himself, maybe with Frank's help....

Big steering wheels cut down of the engine torqu and a single with a big prop had a lot of torque...Later we learned to use a torque "BUNGEE" strap...but when we went to 1:1 they had little or no torque...

Reading the entry list was really a "Who's Who of the Era..."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Duane and Denis Berghauer in a Twister Craft

Here is a picture of the Twister Craft built by Carl Stippich...Carl built many a fine Stock Outboard boat, Mercury hired him to build boats...

It was avery fast boat, but not a HAVASU boat...

Post Thanks / Like

These slides my brother took are actually very sharp and clear - but I have only a hand held viewer - so they're not coming out like they should...

This photo was used in an article I wrote for Hot Boat Mag called "Return of a Classic", about the 1998 Havasu Classic - when Jim Russell tried hard to bring back the glory days of that famous race. One boat that came down for this event was Ron Brown's green Colorado boat - with Scott and John Jensen as his drivers.

So I used "Now" and "Then" side by side photos.....

I'm pretty sure this is a Schulze - and according to the entry list Ron Hill posted, Dieter Schulze was Ron Brown's co driver in 1971.

Here is the "then" photo of Ron Brown's #114 - from my brothers 1970 Havasu collection:

Post Thanks / Like

Default 71 Pics

A few more sub-quality pics from the "reel".

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Omc Poster Or Flyer

About This Time When Omc Won Havasu They Printed A Poster Or Flyer Of A Roman God "mercury" All Beet Up With Tuned Stacks Bent Around His Head..if All You Out There That Got All This Stuff Collection Dust Can Find This, Please Post It..it Is One Cool Pic.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see that. Was that after Cesare Scotti won?

Here's the winner from 1970....

Bill Sirois, "Up up and Away"

Post Thanks / Like

Tom and Mac McCune - Denver, Co - Havasu Outboard World Championships 1970

Wasn't there a female McCune family member that was supposed to drive in the 1972(?) race but the race committee told her it would be "too hard for a girl" to drive in a marathon like this. I seem to remember a story like that.... Ron? Anyone recall this story? Did she ever get the chance?

I was at a Formula One PROP race back around 2000 or so and Carlos Kuri was there, selling his child sized "Kuri" drivers suit to a little boy about 6 years old, who immediately put the uniform on - and wore it proudly the rest of the day. His dad was telling Carlos that he came from a boat racing family too -- their last name was McCune. I talked to the dad for awhile, and I am pretty sure he told me that "Mac" was either his dad or uncle...

So its possible the boat below is being driven by that little boy's grandpa. Too bad he never got to see this race!

Post Thanks / Like

Default McCune Outboard Marine

Mac McCune was the Johnson Outboard distributor for the Colorado area, including Arizona...Mac had two sons, Tom and ------ and a daughter nmaed Melinda. Mac was a "GO FOR IT GUY".

After Dieter Schutz did well in the 1966 Havasu Classic, Mac bought several Schultz Boats... In the 1967 Clasasic the McCunes had run a three engine boat and Melinda was listed as a driver...In the 1967 Classic, Melinda was to co-drive with her dad in a single Schultz much like Jimbo's boat... Mac started the race and was second single when he blew over.

Melinda never got in the boat.

In 1968, the McCunes finished second in the Six Hours of Paris, Ted May and I were third...

ADD:

In 1972, at Havasu, there were 96 boats, all singles, all running 90 plus MPH. Mac McCune signed Melinda up to drive. George May, the referee, had never seen Melinda drive a boat. He had seen Mac drive a boat. George consulted with Ted May, Jack Leek and myself about allowing ANY DRIVER to race with NO EXPERIENCE...or at least no experience in the last five years..We gave our opinions freely to George. George looked the list od drivers over, and Melinda was the only one that had NO SEAT time.....George made the decision not to allow her to race, not because she was a woman, but because she had not raced a tunnel EVER!!!!

Melinda married Johnny Sanders and they had a daughter from this marriage.

Mac raced the Race of Champions at Long Beach and blew over there. His boys seems to back off racing....Melinda and Johnny divorced. Mac entered the Parker 9 Hour is a Van Der Velden hull, I think, powered by a V-6 Johnson. He blew this boat over and was killed. Mac was over 60 years old at the time...

Tom McCune, the last I talked to him, owned a propeller shop in Colorado. OMC bought out McCune Outboard marine when they bought out their distributors, many years ago.

The young boy with the name McCune, I'd bet was Tom's son, and Mac's grandson.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ghlight=McCune
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-30-2008 at 10:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 71

From the "reel".

Thread Information