Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Region 3/4/5 OPC notables

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tthibodaux View Post
    Thats pretty cool! Were there alot of triple engine wings because the twin seem much more common from what I've seen.
    There were at least three triple engine wings which, in fact, were all 20 footers. These hulls were made as duals and, in Kitson's case, a sort of "erector set" mounted third transom was added using the two stock transoms as lateral anchors. I remember looking at the setup at Smith Mountain Lake (Huddleston), VA and thinking that it totally compromised the aerodynamics and didn't look very sturdy. It seems I was right about the aero issue, but the boat seemed to stay together okay.

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Connolly View Post
    Here is a side by side comparison on the of the Kitson/Threlkeld and Schoonover/Massey red wings. Notice the only difference between the two visually is the three breaks at the tip of the white stripe on Jan's. When Jan got the red wing on loan from Mercury he picked out the red one because it was the lightest of the bunch. When I talked to Ernie Threlkeld he told me the red one he had was turned back to Mercury....could the red one in question possibly be the same wing in another life ??? Talking to both Kenny and Ernie the red wing they had was heavy and never ran that well.

The history of Ernie, Jan and Kenny breaking each others records in wings back and forth is interesting.
    Back in 1968 or so, I went out to Mercury with the thought of getting a wing. I looked at the boats that were stored in a building and was offered a Red Metalflake hull. That may be the boat in the bottom picture. But, let me also say that there were at least a dozen others there and I can't recall all of them. I particularly liked an off white hull with a red metalflake design on the sides...but was told it was also "too heavy".

I wound up running the first 16' glass Eltro vee that year with twin 1250 BP's...... and never did drive a wing....... yet

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

There were at least three triple engine wings which, in fact, were all 20 footers. These hulls were made as duals and, in Kitson's case, a sort of "erector set" mounted third transom was added using the two stock transoms as lateral anchors.
    The 20 I have was the only other 20 I'm aware of that ran triples. It is/was setup different than Kenny's. The transom ran all the way across the back carrying the third middle motor. The aileron was operational. Looked as areodynamic as a brick. I asked Don who had and raced the boat since 1969 about it. He claimed that it didn't fly as well, but didn't lose too much on the top end. The plus was the extra power coming out of the corners and being able to hang with the tunnels.

Back in 1968 or so, I went out to Mercury with the thought of getting a wing. I looked at the boats that were stored in a building and was offered a Red Metalflake hull. That may be the boat in the bottom picture. But, let me also say that there were at least a dozen others there and I can't recall all of them. I particularly liked an off white hull with a red metalflake design on the sides...but was told it was also "too heavy".
    Must have been a cool sight.... Would love to see a picture of all the wings and race boats sitting inside Mercury back in the day.

and never did drive a wing....... yet - T2x
    John's been waiting for you to get yours down to him so he can finish rigging it. Sounds like an offer you can't refuse
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default U-44

McCall w/stacker is Jim Hunt(olegator) region 5 standout.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hydroracernet View Post
    I have no idea what happen to the Baltimore crew, Mike Herman etc.. ??
    Dan they tell me you will be at the Pro Worlds in Florida. Looking to get with you after all these years, should be fun.
    John Sherlock

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any body rember Jack Withrow,Web Mapoles,(decessed ) where is Harley Wilson and jeff Titus I saw them mentioned earlier Also JP driver from the laate 70s James Keen (Decesed)

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lumpkin View Post
    Dont know who had the red & white wing. Jan Schoonover and Kenny Kitson were very active and raced in region 4 often. Dont remember or never heard about many triple engines any thing back then. Can you imagine trying to keep 3 engines running together, the cost, but I am sure the weight to power ratio was not good. Some times the good old days werent that good.
    Jan Schoonover set a 4 hour record (64.663) in the UU class with a Dutchman hull, Mercury on 8/24/69 at Huddleston, Va. Kenny Kitson set a new 1 hour speed record of 73.993 mph at Huddleston, Va with a Switzer/Mercury in the T class.
    Any one got a picture of a Dutchman boat?? Is this a Dutchman with 2 - 135 Mercs.
    Great picture of the green picklefork Dutchman Ray! I ran around in one of these, back in about 1978, and never knew what I had. It was 16' long(?), which was rigged with a single T-1. Ran great & ate up the rough water around Downriver(Detroit River) Michigan. I have always wondered if there were any more of them out there? Anyone seen one of these? Thanks

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lumpkin View Post
    Dont know who had the red & white wing. Jan Schoonover and Kenny Kitson were very active and raced in region 4 often. Dont remember or never heard about many triple engines any thing back then. Can you imagine trying to keep 3 engines running together, the cost, but I am sure the weight to power ratio was not good. Some times the good old days werent that good.
    Jan Schoonover set a 4 hour record (64.663) in the UU class with a Dutchman hull, Mercury on 8/24/69 at Huddleston, Va. Kenny Kitson set a new 1 hour speed record of 73.993 mph at Huddleston, Va with a Switzer/Mercury in the T class.
    Any one got a picture of a Dutchman boat?? Is this a Dutchman with 2 - 135 Mercs.
    Yes, this is the boat design that I am looking for...in Ray's post #125, the green Dutchman fiberglass 16' or 17' picklefork tunnel. Anyone have any leads on one??? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Jan checked out of racing in late 1969, so he never set any records with a 135 Merc. It was either 1100's or 1250's...Jan's favorite motor was the 1100. I believe this boat pictured is the 16' wood plug he pulled the fiberglass mold off of. He made a 20 foot tunnel that was a pickle, but I don't believe the 16 ever was pickled.

Post Thanks / Like

Gerrit Greer Wilmington N.C.

Thread Information