Page 1 of 15 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Region 3/4/5 OPC notables

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Region 3/4/5 OPC notables

OK, I raced in these regions in the late 70s and mid 80s. The 70s were the heyday for OPC in MD/VA/NC. You could race at least every other weekend, sometimes more. We had as good a drivers here as anywhere in the country, just didn't get the press. From the early days, how about Ray Lumpkin, the Rogersons, Buck Thornton, Dave Casey, Bobby Drewery from VA; Rayner Blair, Beale Tilton from MD, the Speedmasters (such as Herb Gaskins, Bobby Alford, Harry Davis) from DC; some guy named Fountain from NC, and many others I failed to mention. Later on we had guys such as Roger Meekins, Mike Herrman, Lynn Nichols, Tabb Bridges, Ted Bravo, Rich Blauman, Harley Wilson, and again many others. Lets hear from some of you, maybe some stories of the days of Piney Point MD, Portsmouth VA, Belhaven NC and such. I miss those days. We will never see them again.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 09-15-2021 at 06:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Region 4

I Raced At Belhaven NC In 74-75 At One Race It Raining An Fog Was On The Water An Almost Dark When We Ran U Class.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default reply

Danny, we never met but I saw you race in Miami at the 75 OPC nationals. Remember that one?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Region 4 Races

Smokey your so right! Region 4 was the hot bed of OPC racing in the 70 & 80s. I should know I was OPC region 4 chairman for about 5 years in the 1970s. We had 25 to 30 races from April to Oct. A great record course at Portsmouth, Va and kilos at Toano, Va. I think I raced at Pointy Point, Md. more than any other place in my 15 years. Howard Swann would take all the races we would let him have starting at Mothers Day. It was a great course, pits and drew many boats at each race from regions 3 &4.
    One of my many Piney Point memories, In the early 70s I was racing SH class with Henry Day. He always beat me. This day He did not show up at the race and I just knew I would win. Well on the 5 min warm up time I ran over something in the water and holed my McCall wooden boat and never got to start.
    If anyone needs any information on region 4 races I have all the rule books and Propeller magazines, and compiled all records set, National Champions, Membership list,region officers and list of races for that time frame.nwlumpkin@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

Region 3 notables

John Sherlock, Bob Van Epps, Reese Delorenzo, Paul Mielke, Marty O'Neill, The Powell Brothers, Henry Green, George Linder, Willie Schaefer, Rick Adamzyk, Smitty, The Fantozzi Brothers, Ben O'Connor, Fred Hartmann, Ken Kalibat, Jim Caldwell, Howie Stein, Sonny Werner, Don Jenkinson, Dick Knarich.
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Region 3

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Region 3 notables

John Sherlock, Bob Van Epps, Reese Delorenzo, Paul Mielke, Marty O'Neill, The Powell Brothers, Henry Green, George Linder, Willie Schaefer, Rick Adamzyk, Smitty, The Fantozzi Brothers, Ben O'Connor, Fred Hartmann, Ken Kalibat, Jim Caldwell, Howie Stein, Sonny Werner, Don Jenkinson, Dick Knarich.
    I guess you forgot about me, as when I started driving for OMC I resided in Region 3
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Let's not forget Bob Roberts and Bill Edwards. National High Point Champions in U and S classes OPC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    I guess you forgot about me, as when I started driving for OMC I resided in Region 3
    I always thought of you as a Region 3 Hydro guy with Lostumbo, ODea, etc.... before you moved west and "upgraded" to OPC......

But I did leave out Geoff Briggs............

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OPC region 3'ers

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    I always thought of you as a Region 3 Hydro guy with Lostumbo, ODea, etc.... before you moved west and "upgraded" to OPC......

But I did leave out Geoff Briggs............

T2x
    Actually, I didn't go to work for OMC & move to Nebraska(Cushman location) until 1972. I started driving for them in 1970. Won the Marathon nationals in "S" class in 1970 at Smith Mountain, VA & again in Miami in 1971. Finished 3rd to Billy Seebold & Earl Bentz in Washington, NC in 1973, but by then I was living in NE. Although Geoff, my co-driver in Paris, where we nearly won (threw rod) in 1971, was from Region 7, Lake Forest, IL but I'm willing to claim him & his brother Tim as region 3'ers.

I like the upgrader statement!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Region 4 Races

John I was at all 3 of those races! See how active region 4 was, Smith Mountain Lake, Va., Washington, N. C. Lets here hear stories from Portsmouth, Va Bushwood, Md Tall Timers Md. Ables warf, Md. Wilson ,N. C. Plymouth, N. C. Hyco Lake, Va. Tonao, Va. Burgess, Va. Hampton, Va. King & Queen, Va. West Point, Va. Leonardtown, Md. Williamburg, Va. Huddleston, Va. Clarkes Landing, Md. Ables, Md. Hollywood, Md. Naylors Beach, Va. Winsor, N. C. I can go on!! 1971 was our high point we had 21 region races that year.We had over 5 pages of records set in region 4. In the mid 70s region 4 had over 60 racing members. Ha the good old days!!

Thread Information