Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Region 3/4/5 OPC notables

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boats 270/831/835

Ray, talking about dredging up the past! Jimmy Rogerson built Rayner's SJ (835)and Mark Dillow's SG (831). I rigged both of them. Rayner said he always had to follow me and put in one steel bolt to rust so he would feel at home. The 270 looks like my McCall that I raced twice and flipped once. I bought it from ? Anderson in Wilmington NC. I remember it as originally being a kneel-down SG boat, but it was a sit-down SE when I bought it. I think the boat went towards Richmond when I sold it.
    Wish I could find some of my old pics. If so I will attempt to post some.

Post Thanks / Like

Smokey, that sounds like the Rayner I know. Most likely adder a little duct tape also.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small time racing

Smokey
    Did you buy the McCall from W.T. Anderson? I talked with him a few months ago. He said he didnt know where the boat went. I have been looking for a 14 foot McCall, mine went to Petersburg, Va. but thats all I can find out. I am posting 2 pictures of McCalls, these were taken at the Mt Dora, Fl. antique outboard show last year. Could the bottom boat be the old W.T. Anderson/Smokey boat?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lumpkin View Post
    Smokey
    Did you buy the McCall from W.T. Anderson? I talked with him a few months ago. He said he didnt know where the boat went. I have been looking for a 14 foot McCall, mine went to Petersburg, Va. but thats all I can find out. I am posting 2 pictures of McCalls, these were taken at the Mt Dora, Fl. antique outboard show last year. Could the bottom boat be the old W.T. Anderson/Smokey boat?
    Is the boat in the top picture a kneeldown boat? If so, what HP of motor was ran on it? How did it handle? Was the motor fixed or did it have trim? I have thought that us outboarders should have been looking into this type of design so it would open up the amount of places we could race at. Thanks.
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

My avatar picture is complements of Fred Eckert. 1997 Hinton, WV Nationals Thundermug 20-H Runabout.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small time Racing

Joe
    The boat in the top rack in the picture I posted is a 14ft neal down McCall tunnel boat. This was build in 1974 as a Kilo boat. Not sure what size motor mabey E class 50hp or 65hp or mabey a G class 85hp or more. The engine was fixed, no power trim. I race several neal down McCall tunnels in that time frame.Neal down tunnels were raced in OPC from about 1968 thru 1975.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Region 4 Natioal Champions

Do you know region 4 produced over 40- OPC National Champions from 1966 to about 1987!
    Lets hear some stories about Lake Eufaula, we had our Nationals there about 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lumpkin View Post
    Joe
    The boat in the top rack in the picture I posted is a 14ft neal down McCall tunnel boat. This was build in 1974 as a Kilo boat. Not sure what size motor mabey E class 50hp or 65hp or mabey a G class 85hp or more. The engine was fixed, no power trim. I race several neal down McCall tunnels in that time frame.Neal down tunnels were raced in OPC from about 1968 thru 1975.
    Thanks for the history and the pics Ray. The boats look really nice, I'm impressed. Funny how history tries to repeat itself sometimes. If you have any other pictures of these boats I'd love to see them. Thanks.
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

My avatar picture is complements of Fred Eckert. 1997 Hinton, WV Nationals Thundermug 20-H Runabout.

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Neal Down McCall Boats

Joe
    Here are more neal down McCall boats from the 60s & 70s.
    1-- SG class McCall/ 700 Merc
    2--same
    3--How about a twin engine neal down??
    4--same
    5--SE McCall flat bottom.6--SG McCall running
    7--SE McCall running
    The more things change the more they stay the same!
    Now I have pictures of different brands of neal down OPC boats!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sg 70

That appears to be a boat owned by Paul Angel from Williamsburg, VA (my home town). Are any of these photo's from Toano, VA (Kilo's) or Portsmouth, VA? It has been 20 years or more, but I remember Paul still did engine work at is house after he sold the Marina and he still had a number of boats in his shed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Williamsburg, Va.

David
    I remember your Dad when I was active in OPC. Saw him and you (you were a little boy) at many region 4 meetings!! You are correct about the McCall boat and Paul. Only picture I know for sure is that of Bobby running at West Point, Va with bridge in background. Paul is now in his 80s and still working on outboards in his back yard. I talked with him last summer. He is also active in turkey shooting contest.

Thread Information