Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Region 3/4/5 OPC notables

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Actually, I didn't go to work for OMC & move to Nebraska(Cushman location) until 1972. I started driving for them in 1970. Won the Marathon nationals in "S" class in 1970 at Smith Mountain, VA & again in Miami in 1971. Finished 3rd to Billy Seebold & Earl Bentz in Washington, NC in 1973, but by then I was living in NE. Although Geoff, my co-driver in Paris, where we nearly won (threw rod) in 1971, was from Region 7, Lake Forest, IL but I'm willing to claim him & his brother Tim as region 3'ers.

I like the upgrader statement!!
    I always thought that Geoff lived in Westhampton, NY, where his boat yard was and Tim lived in Lake Forest......... But I could be wrong.

In any event, did you run in any Region 3 OPC races, or just hob nob with the "big shots" at the National events?
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Region 3

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    I always thought that Geoff lived in Westhampton, NY, where his boat yard was and Tim lived in Lake Forest......... But I could be wrong.

In any event, did you run in any Region 3 OPC races, or just hob nob with the "big shots" at the National events?
    Actually there were sevral races I & the T*A*R*T team raced at out East. Region 1, Bridgeport, CT, rougher then ****, I actually stuffed my McDonald & resurfaced & finished . We raced some sort of Championship run by John Valcohvic at Kingston, NY, Region 2 which I won, and we raced a min-marathon at Greenwood Lake, Region 3 where I grew up with S.O. when we were the Mercury Racing Club, with the stock outboards.

The Brigg's Long Island home was in Eashampton where Geoff's marina is located. However, they actually lived in Lake Forest until Geoff decided he wanted to on a marine business & he purchased the Johnson dealer in Easthampton. Not totally sure about when but was the late 70's I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Actually there were sevral races I & the T*A*R*T team raced at out East. Region 1, Bridgeport, CT, rougher then ****, I actually stuffed my McDonald & resurfaced & finished . We raced some sort of Championship run by John Valcohvic at Kingston, NY, Region 2 which I won, and we raced a min-marathon at Greenwood Lake, Region 3 where I grew up with S.O. when we were the Mercury Racing Club, with the stock outboards.

The Brigg's Long Island home was in Eashampton where Geoff's marina is located. However, they actually lived in Lake Forest until Geoff decided he wanted to on a marine business & he purchased the Johnson dealer in Easthampton. Not totally sure about when but was the late 70's I think.

I recall a business trip with Lostumbo in St Louis, and I recall he visited you there. Am I hallucinating?

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Region 3

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    I recall a business trip with Lostumbo in St Louis, and I recall he visited you there. Am I hallucinating?

T2x
    Think so. Never lived in St. Louis, but did live somewhat north of there in Galesburg, IL about 3 1/2 hrs. north. I have somewhat of a recollection that Don visited, but just can't remeber where or when.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jimbo at Portsmouth

It was 1976 or 77. OMC sent Jimbo McConnel, Barry Woods and Fred Hauenstein to Portsmouth to run on our record course. Water was rough on Saturday morning, didn't look good for records. Shortly after the driver's meeting, Jimbo received word that his father had passed away. He asked to run his class first, as he was going to leave immediately. Of course, we concurred. He ran one of the finest heats seen me of the worst water we could have had and not called the race. He took a victory lap for his father, came in, and left for the airport. A class act, and a truly nice guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Record

Smokey, Jimbo set a record that day of 98.901 driving an Evinrude Molinari in Mod U class. The date was 7-02-78. I was the time rep. for Portsmouths record course.
    Region 4 had 224 records set between 1963 and 1993. Thats hour records , 5 mile, kilo, and some lap records. Sad to say there has been little or no OPC racing since the 1990s.
    Here are some pictures from region 4 good old days.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Post Thanks / Like

Hey if I can ask a goofy question here, is that a 99 cube inline on the boats in the last two pics? Thats just almost crazy to think of all that power on such a small boat!
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Post Thanks / Like

Default Inline 6 engines

Tim
    Yes the last two pictures are 99.9 cu- 6 cylinder Mercs. The red and white McCall boat has 6 cylinder 1960 80hp Merc. I race this in the Sport H class. The other is John McCall in a McCall kilo boat with a 100 BP race engine. John record was in the SI class at 83.282 MPH in 9-29-1968 set in Toano , Va.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lumpkin View Post
    Tim
    Yes the last two pictures are 99.9 cu- 6 cylinder Mercs. The red and white McCall boat has 6 cylinder 1960 80hp Merc. I race this in the Sport H class. The other is John McCall in a McCall kilo boat with a 100 BP race engine. John record was in the SI class at 83.282 MPH in 9-29-1968 set in Toano , Va.
    Gosh!! That just seems like so much way to much motor for a knee rider! I've raced against a 6cyl. hydro in the Super E class before but I don't think it was the 99 cube motor and it was on a small racing mid and not that big tall fishing looking mid. What is that a 15in?
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I remember

Lots of fun racing in the early-mid 80s in Region 4/5 as well as others. I have fond memories...Roger Meekins, Tabb Bridges, Gary Schiel, Dave Viau, Bill Browne, Scott Nelson (tragically killed later on crossing the street), Lynn Nichols, Freddy Hartmann, Bill Slivey, Mike Herrmann, John Riegor, Homer Greene, Jerry Neely, Harley Wilson, Ted Bravo, Kevin Barnett, I can't think offhand of any more names but there were quite a few more...I had so much fun racing then, wish it was the same now.

JT

Thread Information