Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Region 3/4/5 OPC notables

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tthibodaux View Post
    Gosh!! That just seems like so much way to much motor for a knee rider! I've raced against a 6cyl. hydro in the Super E class before but I don't think it was the 99 cube motor and it was on a small racing mid and not that big tall fishing looking mid. What is that a 15in?
    Tim, you are right. The big motor in Super E is 59 cubes.
    The motor on McCall's boat is technically a 15 inch, but it is a "BP" which was a weird one off mid and lower ... a full gearshift Super Speedmaster. The center of the bullet is basically the same height as a regular fishing motor, but it is actually heavier than a fishing motor or Speedmaster equipped motor. The bullet size is in between the two.

Judging by how well the boat floats that motor, I'd say it looks fine to me
    Last edited by Mark75H; 02-02-2008 at 02:40 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Ray, those are great pictures ... we gotta get you set up with a scanner. If Ron can do it, you can too!

Who is driving the 790 McCall?

We want to see more pictures like these!
    Last edited by Mark75H; 02-02-2008 at 02:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 15 inch short shaft

Tim
    All the 6 cylinders were 15 inch short shaft. Stock centers and or BP style with stock units and super speedmaster units. In 1970 Mercury Twister was raced on a neal down boat. 6 carb engine is my Mod 90 engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, Ray has shown us still another special Merc race motor and rare racing lower unit ... the "Red Stripe" Twister with the optional "MC-1" Super Speedmaster. The MC-1 unit is a little stronger and larger than a regular Super Speedmaster.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Back in the day...

Ray, you will probably attest to this....If you ran good in Region 4 you could run good anywhere in the country. Not only did we have good drivers but ran often enough to get some good seat time in competion. If only we had had some funds...we would pile up in a cheap hotel room or local racer's spare room just to save money for gas. But we had as much fun as any of the IOGP or PROP high $ teams. BTW, how about Jim Caldwell? Last I heard of him was years ago when he worked for Fountain. Get out some more of the old pictures for us! Those were the days!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fun Fun Fun

Smokey
    Your right again!! But we did have as much as any boat race club. My good friend Jim Caldwell, he was a good racer with factory connections. He ran Mod 50, SST SST120. Heres a region 4 story. Jim and I both showed up in Piney Point, Md and happen to park next to each other in the pitts. We both had broken the skeg off our super speedmaster units. The other drivers thought we had found some type speed secret. The secert was when you at the end of the straight at about 100mph you couldnt turn, that will get your attention quick.
    Smokey and Mark 75 I will get some pictures out tomorrow. Glad someone elise would like to look at them, I got 15 years worth.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jim Caldwell

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lumpkin View Post
    Smokey
    Your right again!! But we did have as much as any boat race club. My good friend Jim Caldwell, he was a good racer with factory connections. He ran Mod 50, SST SST120. Heres a region 4 story. Jim and I both showed up in Piney Point, Md and happen to park next to each other in the pitts. We both had broken the skeg off our super speedmaster units. The other drivers thought we had found some type speed secret. The secert was when you at the end of the straight at about 100mph you couldnt turn, that will get your attention quick.
    Smokey and Mark 75 I will get some pictures out tomorrow. Glad someone elise would like to look at them, I got 15 years worth.
    Had a conversation with JIm not too long ago. At that time he had his own company I believe in the fringes of the marine industry. Don't recall for sure where e is/was located, out east perhaps NC, as that was where I was working at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't guess I'm a amazed at the hp as I am the weight of that thing on such a little boat. I know that top heavy is a big deal in a knee rider. This is good stuff guys, thanks for the history lesson!!
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, you are correct about the top heavy issue on a hydro, but it doesn't take much additional width to tame them. On my 12½ ft 36 inch wide hydro a 12 inch tower (15 inches to the propshaft) is a problem, but with a boat just a little wider like my Zorkan runabout or DeSilva tunnel hull, you can't feel it is there at 15 inches

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Region 4 Drivers

Beale Tilton, Bill Rowell, Herb Payne and Bill Cochran. Not as well known as some of the drivers mentioned above as they ran the lower classes.

And Beale Tilton and Bill Edwards built the E&T boats.

Records by these drivers noted below
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ted March; 02-06-2008 at 10:50 PM.

Thread Information